Berd polymer spokes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

Buy the original, colour it yourself after the build.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mep

by Mep

Kayrehn wrote:Buy the original, colour it yourself after the build.

Have you had any success doing this? If Berd themselves are struggling to produce black spokes that stay black, maybe it's not that trivial of a job? I'm not too thrilled with the idea of a black coating that chips or cracks over time, which appears to be their best effort so far.

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

I spray painted it black, after the build there were small nicks in the paint here and there from building it up but I'm just gonna touch up with a paint marker. I haven't got it out on the road yet but I don't suppose the paint will get nicked easily, and if does so it is a 2-second job to touch up so no biggie.

Mep

by Mep

Fair enough, doesn't sound too bad. I gotta ask though - how much weight did spray painting add? :D

Mankul

by Mankul

MaraudingWalrus wrote:
Lelandjt wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:47 am
So for equal length how much lighter is each spoke than a CX-Ray?
My scale is not WW approved, so I can't comment with 100% confidence on that. The Berd spoke showed as 1g on my scale the CXRay showed as 5g. I don't know this scale's rounding protocol and it apparently doesn't believe in decimal places, so it could be that the Berd is 1.4g and the Sapim is 4.5g and that's just how it rounded. I'll check at the shop tomorrow where I have a scale that does decimals, I think.

ImageImage
measure the weights of all the 48 spokes(I presume) and divide by 48.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

jpeterson1012

by jpeterson1012

Has anyone tried to get more accurate tensionometer measurements on these berd rope spokes? IIRC Berd had some really general indicator on their instructions that said something like 100kgf=15 on a park tool meter (or something like that, I forget the exact number). But what if I'm aiming for 130kgf?

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

jpeterson1012 wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:16 am
But what if I'm aiming for 130kgf?
My wheelbuilder allegedly measured the spokes with a tensionmeter calibration rig, but I did not inquire for tension chart and what tool they used. Wouldn't it make more sense to do the same? The tensioning rig is not that hard to build, just a frame with bolts and scales.

jpeterson1012

by jpeterson1012

Klaster_1 wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:24 am
jpeterson1012 wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:16 am
But what if I'm aiming for 130kgf?
My wheelbuilder allegedly measured the spokes with a tensionmeter calibration rig, but I did not inquire for tension chart and what tool they used. Wouldn't it make more sense to do the same? The tensioning rig is not that hard to build, just a frame with bolts and scales.
If one really wanted to find accurate references, I guess they could just dangle the spoke from somewhere and hang weights off of it before measuring with a tensionmeter.

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

jpeterson1012 wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:35 am
If one really wanted to find accurate references, I guess they could just dangle the spoke from somewhere and hang weights off of it before measuring with a tensionmeter.
Yeah, that's an option too if you have a set of weights or a appropriately size bucket for water.

angman19

by angman19

Any new updates on this thread? Thinking of building with Farsports Feder and either Extralite SPD3 or Carbon Ti hubs for road use.

LeDuke

by LeDuke

Been riding my Berd-180-Nextie build for a couple weeks now. Just over 1300g with the XD freehub. The vibration absorption is fantastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MaraudingWalrus

by MaraudingWalrus

Thought I'd add an update here as it's been a while. Just built another set of wheels with Berds. Nextie NXT25GX hubs to Extralite Cyber SPD-3s. 977g for the pair. I don't frequent this forum a ton, but I've posted more on the wheelbuilding subreddit and over at the paceline. I'll try and remember to check this thread a bit more.
ImageImage

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

MaraudingWalrus wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:05 pm
Thought I'd add an update here as it's been a while. Just built another set of wheels with Berds. Nextie NXT25GX hubs to Extralite Cyber SPD-3s. 977g for the pair. I don't frequent this forum a ton, but I've posted more on the wheelbuilding subreddit and over at the paceline. I'll try and remember to check this thread a bit more.
What was the rim weight?

MaraudingWalrus

by MaraudingWalrus

Klaster_1 wrote:
MaraudingWalrus wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:05 pm
What was the rim weight?
One was 311grams the other 315grams.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

takolino

by takolino

Here's some more weights. I'll be building my third set of Berd spoked wheels pretty soon. Extralite Hyper/Cyber hubs and LB XC925 Flyweights, 297g/298g. Built a set last year for my Aethos and that's been flawless. Cyberhubs and Grail CB7 rims, 283g/285g. Finished wheelset was 928g without rim tape. Once the tension is stabilized, it's rock solid. Haven't touched the spokes since. The black dye seems to be getting a little better. They also added a flat section in the threaded end to use the included wrench to stop windup. If you're using a tension meter, be aware that the rope is not round. Charlie is very helpful if you need help. Customer service is top notch. Had some issues on my second set and they corrected right away without questions. All in all, a great product.