Safe to use Zipp skewers on my Campy Bora Ultra 35 & 50's?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

I was really shocked when i weight skewers from Campy Bora Ultras to my Zipp NSW's. They literally weight twice as much, 120 grams vs 60 grams! I have an additional set of NSW skewers that I would like to use on the Boras. I assume they would be safe? Thanks!
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

Shrike

by Shrike

If the skewers are safe they'll be safe on any wheelset.

120gram skewers? AIn't nobody got time for that!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Greg66

by Greg66

The standard skewers that ship with Boras are proper boat anchors. I’m using some generic lightweight Ti skewers from eBay.

Not dead yet, so I’ll keep going...

markyboy

by markyboy

Colnago arabesque campagnolo super record 12
Colnago c64
Cinelli zydeco grx di2

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Greg66 wrote:The standard skewers that ship with Boras are proper boat anchors.
I've sourced too many creaks and such back to flimsy skewers to personally want to mess with them on my own bikes. I kind of prefer proper boat anchors when securing my wheels to my frame. But to the OP, I'm sure the Zipp skewers will be just fine if you prefer them. The only way you'd damage the wheels is if for some reason they didn't hold and the wheel slipped out, which isn't likely.
I may have a set of Zipp skewers lying around that I would be more than happy to trade for those boat anchors of yours.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

istigatrice

by istigatrice

Calnago wrote: I may have a set of Zipp skewers lying around that I would be more than happy to trade for those boat anchors of yours.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

If you're not going to use the campy skewers please don't let them gather dust in a box somewhere. One of my mates actually purchased a set of Shimano 105 hubs just for the skewers... Practically gave the hubs to me but refused to let me anywhere near the skewers.
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TonyM

by TonyM

I have tried several lightweight skewers but I always get some creaky noises (even with grease it is just a matter of time) and now I have finally put back the original Campy skewers.