Schwalbe Pro One + Normal Stan's Sealant

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

MagicShite

by MagicShite

Just a heads up for those who use the Schwalbe Pro Ones with Normal Stan's Sealant but have serious issues with them sealing when you get a deep puncture which won't seal with high pressure.

My mate and I were finally fed up and we came across an old article from MTBR where e*thirteen basically tipped using grounded black pepper as a secret sauce.

We added some grounded black pepper to the sealant and damn does it work perfectly.

YMMV, do try it out!

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Stop using not-Orange Seal.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MagicShite

by MagicShite

TobinHatesYou wrote:Stop using not-Orange Seal.
We would if we could get it here.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I do wonder if the tyre is also partly responisble. all my bad experiences with stans have been with schwables as well but perhaps tyre is at fault too as i think i had issues with zefal and caffe latex too, but no issues with the last two sealants with other tyres.

StradaJon
in the industry

by StradaJon

Glitter and assorted flakes from a craft shop work well too. Plenty of MTB riders make their own. The higher pressure used typically in a road tyre makes it harder for the sealant to do it's job as it is being squirted out before it has a chance to seal.
Strada Hand Built Wheels
http://www.stradawheels.co.uk

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

other sealants in other tyres however do manage what stans in a schwalbe road tyre can't.

spud

by spud

I don't have experience with this combination, but I had no luck at all with Slime sealant in a WTB tire - stuff came out pinholes for days and wouldn't seal. Stan's sealed right up, without glitter etc, no problems.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ms6073

by ms6073

spud wrote:I had no luck at all with Slime sealant in a WTB tire
I have always been of the impression that Slime sealant was something usually purchased by the less sophisticated cyclists (i.e. newbs/Aldi/Halfrods/Walmart bunch).
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"