Uber lightweight, yet durable and practical tubular climbing wheels?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

I'm looking for some super lightweight climbing wheels that are stiff, and durable. I had the Campy Bora Ultra 35 tubs in mind but would like to hear lighter alternatives that are practical, not just lightweight status symbols. Wheels I'm looking at are AX Lightness, Tune, and Schmolke. I'm 155lbs. Thanks!
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dgasmd

by dgasmd

Define super lightweight?? Budget?

Lightweights and Campy Hyperons come to mind.
There is also an endless combo of Enve wheels that will qualify depending on budget.

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

dgasmd wrote:Define super lightweight?? Budget?

Lightweights and Campy Hyperons come to mind.
There is also an endless combo of Enve wheels that will qualify depending on budget.

The Lightweights are definitely out of my budget. I'm looking at wheels up to $2500. Currently ride Campy Bora Ultra 50 and Zipp 404 NSW's, both clinchers.
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

define ultra light weight and durable. these things mean different things to different people.

300g 38mm deep tubular rims (20mm wide) and carbon ti hubs is pretty durable for me and lightweight too at 1020g but for some this is not light enough and other may not find them durable because they are hard on wheels.

you will be using catbon ti hubs or extralite and a deepish/deep tubular rim to keep the wheels stiff if you want them to be durable weight will be around 1000g unless you with shallower and lighter rims but you then sacrifise stiffness and potentially durability depending on you.

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

bm0p700f wrote:define ultra light weight and durable. these things mean different things to different people.

300g 38mm deep tubular rims (20mm wide) and carbon ti hubs is pretty durable for me and lightweight too at 1020g but for some this is not light enough and other may not find them durable because they are hard on wheels.

you will be using catbon ti hubs or extralite and a deepish/deep tubular rim to keep the wheels stiff if you want them to be durable weight will be around 1000g unless you with shallower and lighter rims but you then sacrifise stiffness and potentially durability depending on you.

They need to be practical. The type of wheels I would use multiple times a week on less than ideal surface. Would prefer 1100 gram stiff wheels over 800 gram noodles.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I have Enve 2.2 tubs on Extralite and another pair on DT240s... the extralite are sub 1kg, I think the 240s are slightly above... 240s might be for sale soon
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Just stick with your original plan... Campy Bora Ultra 35 tubulars. Drop the mic, walk away.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

RyanH

by RyanH

Schmolke 30's laced to Wheels Mfg hubs should be within your defined budget and around 1050g. I demoed Denavelo's and they felt just like the Boras in all respects. His were laced to Tune 45/150 so I think the Wheels Hubs should get you even more lateral stiffness and be perfectly suited for a daily driver.

My next wheel build will be that.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com