question to Fulcrum Racing Light XLR / Campagnolo Hyperon Ultra users

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ak47

by ak47

I am considering these Fulcrum wheels I can get brand new for a very very good price. Do you like them? They will be tubulars. I know the rim is narrow so I am not sure if they will accomodate the 25 mm tires that well, but I've seen these used on Roubaix with wider tires so it shouldn't be a problem?

How do you like the ride? They will be my "only" wheelset in a slightly hilly and sometimes windy area. Do you like them? I know the hubs are bulletproof , but what about the rest and the quality of the ride?

graeme_f_k
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by graeme_f_k

ak47 wrote:I am considering these Fulcrum wheels I can get brand new for a very very good price. Do you like them? They will be tubulars. I know the rim is narrow so I am not sure if they will accomodate the 25 mm tires that well, but I've seen these used on Roubaix with wider tires so it shouldn't be a problem?

How do you like the ride? They will be my "only" wheelset in a slightly hilly and sometimes windy area. Do you like them? I know the hubs are bulletproof , but what about the rest and the quality of the ride?

It would be wrong of me to comment too much on the ride because I am on contract to Campagnolo (I look after the main UK Technical Centre) but I'd say that 25cs on the rim are OK but marginal.

In terms of fitting the tyres, if you are not confident in that operation, get someone who *really* knows what they are doing, to do it for you. I don't mean that to sound patronising - but I watched a guy go over the edge on the Madelaine last year because his LBS had not glued his tubs on properly & one rolled at an inopportune moment. He was lucky to get out of it as lightly injured as he was - he was choppered off the mountain by the French mountain rescue guys and only spent a week in hospital ...

Whoever does it, it's essential that they use cement and not tape (that's required for the warranty in any case) and that they make sure that enough cement is built up on the rim, and that the base tape of the tubular is well enough sealed, that the full surface of the rim is in proper adhesion with the tyre.

I've said it on forums before ... be careful about using what you see the pros do as an indication of what you can do ... all manner of testing goes on, all sorts of things are tried (and often rejected) and on many occasions not all of what is *seen*, is what it *is*. Often compromises are being made to try an idea out that might have long (or in some cases short-) term adverse consequences, or specially-made parts that look outwardly the same as production items are being used. Check the product specs on the manufacturer's website - they are sometimes conservative - but that will be for good reason ...
A Tech-Reps work is never done ...
Head Tech, Campagnolo main UK ASC
Pls contact via velotechcycling"at"aim"dot"com, not PM, for a quicker answer. Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mackers

by Mackers

Personally I wouldn't bother unless you can get them really really cheap.

My Hyperons ride just as nice as my handbuilts or my DA 7850 C24 tubies as long as you put the same rubber on them :)

FWIW 24mm Vittoria Paves fit well and @ 130 lbs I've not felt the need to go wider.