Tubular advice

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

banik69

by banik69

Hi there I was looking about low budget tubular tires
24-25mm with skinwall for 55mm wheels, so I would use valve extender.

Any opinion between three
Challenge elite pro tubular
25mm 220tpi

Vittoria rally tubular
25mm 220tpi

Tufo s33 pro road tubular
24mm 60-90 tpi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

banik69

by banik69

Any opinion?

shimmeD

by shimmeD

None of the above: I won't even advise going down the budget trail for tubs. Continental Sprinter is as low as I would go, and they are not even that cheap.
Less is more.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I rather ride a clincher than those three tyres. Again the cheapest tub I use is a conti sprinter gatorskin. Slow is how it describe them.

Kurets

by Kurets

I've only felt the Challenge Elites, never ridden them. But, to me they seem like a decent choice, much more supple than Vittoria Rally or Schwalbe Lugano. Look okay in the skinwall version, but the tread has very uneven cover paint on the tyres I checked out. Grip I'd expect to be middle of the road.
Given the choice I'd probably go for Conti Sprinters though even if they are a bit more expensive. I'd avoid the Gatorskin version...

banik69

by banik69

Thanks
I don’t harm issue with contis price but i like to go to skin sidewalls

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

The gatorskin tub is actually not bad. It's slow but sticky. I dont like it but the buggers last. At this time of year that's all I care about. Cheap tubs depending on the conditions may not last that long be the p word.

tomycs

by tomycs

Same feeling here with the Conti Sprinter Gatorskins (in 25mm). More comfortable than Continental clinchers but a lot less than Vittoria or Veloflex tubs. I put them on thinking they would keep me going through 1x UK winter but unfortunately they lasted a lot longer than that, they have endurance clincher type of life (I see this as a negative, if you only have one tubular wheelset :-) This being said they do last a long time, but when they eventually punctured I couln't fix it on the road (or at home).

sawyer

by sawyer

The standard Sprinters (non-Gatorksin) in 25mm are a decent choice as a low-ish cost, fairly puncture resistant tub with good grip, and ok crr
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

sawyer

by sawyer

The standard Sprinters (non-Gatorksin) in 25mm are a decent choice as a low-ish cost, fairly puncture resistant tub with good grip, and ok crr
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

Asteroid

by Asteroid

From my experience, the tradeoff with cheaper tubulars (or all tires, for that matter) is handling performance. Namely, cornering and stopping distance. Yeah, the harsher ride can wear thin, but somebody taking to touring (i.e. slow pace) or rough, wet roads (at a slow pace!), then the cheapos have their place. Tires like the Conti's within this thread do not use a very soft rubber compound, accounting for their longevity.
Oldbie

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com