Caad 10 and Wide Rims

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tomato89

by tomato89

I know this question gets asked a lot but can't find anything precise through search. I have a 2012 Caad 10 with Ultegra and want to know if the bike can handle newer, wider Mavic rims (2017). I know that the bike will handle 25c tires on older rims just fine, and I would assume the tire will have more than enough top clearance with a wider rim. I am just curious if there will be an issue side-to-side.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ddsg

by ddsg

Will be fine. I run 25mm GP4000s on Flo rims without issue. Would probably be able to fit 28mm but my brakes are the limiter.

by 11.4

For width, you have to worry more about the clearance at the bottom bracket with CAAD 10's of that vintage. An extra 3-4 mm width isn't a problem, getting you to a somewhat wider rim like a HED Belgium. But if you're talking about significantly oversized rims borrowed from mountain or intended for very large tires, you may have a problem. And the wider rim will allow the tire to be wider too; if you are running a regular road-sized tire (say, up to 28 mm), you shouldn't have a problem. If you're trying to run something like a Panaracer Gravel King or Challenge Eroica, you may run into problems.

LouisN

by LouisN

I ran 25mm Continental Comps on my daughter's CAAD10, without any problems, on 27mm wide ( 25mm at the brake track) rims. I had to change the rear Sram Force (2012) caliper though, it was really too close to the tire.

Louis :)

jfl

by jfl

I'm running 25c Ones on 17c internal width rims on a 2010 CAAD10. I cannot see how going to a 19c rim would be a problem. I plan to do the same myself. 28c tires could be a stretch, though.

Sent from my LIFETAB_P970X using Tapatalk

MisterMuncher

by MisterMuncher

Using 25mm Pro Ones on Pacenti SL23 and Kinlin XR22T rims (18 and 19mm internal, respectively) in my CAAD and I've had no clearance issues. It is at it's tightest around the BB as stated, with caliper clearance being more a factor than fork/stay clearance elsewhere

DamonRinard
in the industry

by DamonRinard

I've measured a handful of tires on various rims. Based on that, I use a rule of thumb: the tire gets wider and taller by half the rim's increase, with a tolerance of +/- about half the rim's increase.

Example: A 23C tire might measure 24.5 on a 17 mm rim (made up numbers).
Same tire on a 19 mm rim gets 1 mm wider, 1 mm taller, +/- 1 mm.
Same tire on a 21 mm rim gets 2 mm wider, 2 mm taller, +/- 2 mm.

The tolerance is probably not due to geometric effects, but due to normal variation in tire dimensions and the humans taking the measurements. ;-)
Last edited by DamonRinard on Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager, Road Bikes
Cycling Sports Group, Cannondale
Ex-Kestrel, ex-Velomax, ex-Trek, ex-Cervelo

DamonRinard
in the industry

by DamonRinard

By the way, for road bikes, ISO requires at least 4 mm clearance between a tire and any frame member. Accounting for normal manufacturing tolerance (frame alignment, wheel hop & wobble, tire tolerance, paint, etc.), the design must have a few millimeters more clearance than ISO.

But ISO applies only when the dealer sells a bike; after you own it, you can change to any tire you like.

For me, if my wheel and tire run true, I'm personally comfortable with 2 mm clearance or more, assuming no mud (clean dry roads or clean wet roads).
Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager, Road Bikes
Cycling Sports Group, Cannondale
Ex-Kestrel, ex-Velomax, ex-Trek, ex-Cervelo

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com