Light aluminum wheelset suggestions for Cervelo R3 or R5

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ihaveabikeproblem

by ihaveabikeproblem

I am planning on getting either the new Cervelo R3 or R5 (mechanical Ultegra, rim brakes). Both of these are spec'd with pretty heavy wheels. The R3 comes with Mavic Aksium and R5 comes with Mavic Ksyrium Black (can't find the model or weight anywhere but probably a step below Ksyrium Elite). I would like to upgrade the wheels to take the weight down for either bike.

1. What are the best aluminum wheelset options that are light (14xx g) and reasonable priced that would be a significant upgrade to these spec'd wheels (I weigh 120 lbs)?

Any info on Hunt Race Season Aero (what's the real weight of this, anyone have experience with it?), DT Swiss PR 1400 or other options worth looking at?

2. If I were to spend more money on a carbon aero wheelset, what's the most reasonably priced while still keeping weight neutral? Mavic Cosmic Pro Carbon SL seems to rise to the top but others that are the same profile but less expensive?

Thanks so much for the advice!
Sam

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

waltthizzney

by waltthizzney

you should be more worried about width than weight.

slowK

by slowK

If you're happy to move away from the bigger brands, you could try Soul S2.0s http://2013.bikesoul.com/s2/. I have two sets - the older set had issues with the older hub design, but the current hubs have been fine. Light (just under 1300g), and moderately wide.

Also Boyd Altamont Lites. Wide, around 14xxg. (I have a pair of standard Altamonts that are deeper but heavier - very solid, nice wheels.)