Dt swiss rr21 dicut

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jmsp

by jmsp

I'm after this wheelset, but still didn't buy it because I've read that some people noticed some kind of noise / rattling coming from the real wheel, especially in steep climbs. This issue is holding me back. I'm also looking at the Racing Zero, but I can get the rr21 way cheaper.
Has anyone here experienced this same problem?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Lewn777

by Lewn777

jmsp wrote:I'm after this wheelset, but still didn't buy it because I've read that some people noticed some kind of noise / rattling coming from the real wheel, especially in steep climbs. This issue is holding me back. I'm also looking at the Racing Zero, but I can get the rr21 way cheaper.
Has anyone here experienced this same problem?

The rear does make some noise under slow speed power, especially up hill but it's nothing to worry about. Just the rear spokes rubbing together. You can put a tiny bit of grease on a cloth and run the cloth between the spokes and the noise will go away for up to a few weeks. My wheels have done about 10,000kms on mine still true. Don't let it put you off buying them if the price is right.

morganb

by morganb

I have a set of Syncros wheels that are effectively rebadged DT Swiss wheels that do the exact same thing, didn't realize it was a common problem. It is the spokes rubbing together and a dab of chain lube quiets it for a few rides.

jmsp

by jmsp

Lewn777 wrote:The rear does make some noise under slow speed power, especially up hill but it's nothing to worry about. Just the rear spokes rubbing together. You can put a tiny bit of grease on a cloth and run the cloth between the spokes and the noise will go away for up to a few weeks. My wheels have done about 10,000kms on mine still true. Don't let it put you off buying them if the price is right.

Thanks for your input and advices.
What can you say about their stiffness?

shonanmike

by shonanmike

Same noise problem. Thought the spokes were too loose. Tightened spokes but problem persisted. Annoying as hell.

Drop of oil into spokes base on hub solved the problem. Not sure how long it'll last but spokes have been quiet for two weeks.

Lewn777

by Lewn777

jmsp wrote:
Lewn777 wrote:The rear does make some noise under slow speed power, especially up hill but it's nothing to worry about. Just the rear spokes rubbing together. You can put a tiny bit of grease on a cloth and run the cloth between the spokes and the noise will go away for up to a few weeks. My wheels have done about 10,000kms on mine still true. Don't let it put you off buying them if the price is right.

Thanks for your input and advices.
What can you say about their stiffness?

They are very good and very stiff wheels, perfect for the mountains, they are light for alu alloy, good climbing, great braking and tubeless ready. The noise is the only downside to the wheels as far as I can tell. It depends on each person as to how much a light 'tinging' at low speed under power annoys you.

jmsp

by jmsp

Lewn777 wrote: They are very good and very stiff wheels, perfect for the mountains, they are light for alu alloy, good climbing, great braking and tubeless ready. The noise is the only downside to the wheels as far as I can tell. It depends on each person as to how much a light 'tinging' at low speed under power annoys you.

:thumbup:
That's exactly what I've been reading about them, and what I've been searching in a high quality alu wheelset!
At that level, from that brand, with such quality materials and build quality, they simply shouldn't make that annoying noise.

jmsp

by jmsp

shonanmike wrote:Same noise problem. Thought the spokes were too loose. Tightened spokes but problem persisted. Annoying as hell.

Drop of oil into spokes base on hub solved the problem. Not sure how long it'll last but spokes have been quiet for two weeks.

All the solutions pointed out only seems to eliminate the noise temporarily and not permanently.
Hope you've found a definitive solution to this problem.

mike001100

by mike001100

I just recently got this wheelset, although in disc form (which could make a difference).

I have yet to hear any noise...

jmsp

by jmsp

mike001100 wrote:I just recently got this wheelset, although in disc form (which could make a difference).

I have yet to hear any noise...

I have a set of DT Swiss R24 disc brake, wich I've been using in my gravel bike, with almost 3000 km, and they've been very quiet till now.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com