Wheel set recommendations and suppliers for a new bike build

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

apctjb

by apctjb

Getting ready to build a bike and looking for recent recommendations for wheels manufacturers/ suppliers.

Looking for light weight (<1400g? ), rim brake complete 700cc wheel set suitable for 25 or 28cm clincher tires, for climbing and general riding (non aero), and good quality hubs . Wheels will be used on a Workswell 93 frame.

I have seen Yoeleo mentioned on this form as one possible supplier... others?

Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mortirolo

by mortirolo

Campagnolo, Fulcrum
Marco Pantani - Momenti Di Gloria
AX Vial (SR11) <- FELT FC (Record 10) <- LOOK KX (Dura-Ace) <- Specialized EPIC (Superbe Pro)

apctjb

by apctjb

Campagnolo, Fulcrum
Thanks; I should have mention price point of <$1200 USD

morganb

by morganb

Do they need to be carbon?

Hexsense

by Hexsense

suitable for 25-28mm <-- means
internal width >= 18mm (19 or 21mm prefered) for good tire shaping. you can then lower pressure compared to narrower internal width rim or keep the pressure and enjoy even more reduced rolling resistance compared to just wide tire on narrow rim.
external width >=27mm (30mm prefered but not available under 2000 (Roval CLX 32,50), new updated Enve 4.5, new updated Zipp 303 NSW disc tubeless). for being aero too. Ignore if you really sure aero doesn't matter.
DT Swiss have some 19mm internal 27mm external width but may be a bit over your budget.
HED JET 4 PLUS is budget and wide but being hybrid alloy+carbon it's over your weight limit.

for Chinese carbon fiber, take a look into Light-bicycle 36mm and 46mm. Both have 21mm internal width and 28mm external width. For your requirement 36mm seems to fit better. Build it with Novatec 291+482 SB-SL for light cheap and decent hub.
Venn Rev 507 (50.7mm) 21mm internal width, 27.9mm external width might be over your targeted weight.
There are many many many Chinese or non-Chinese rims emphasize on being more aero by keeping the internal width narrow (<17mm) and increase only external width. This sacrifice some nice rolling property of wide internal width rim to ensure they don't need to make rim really wide for aero advantage. I found this concept alright if all you want is aero. But i prefer internal width to be wide, and make external width even wider to support increased tire width.

for alloy wheel,
Pacenti Forza is 20mm internal, 24mm external so 25-28mm will form very nice shape which will roll well. but it won't be quite aero since rim isn't wide enough to smooth out air from wide tire.
it's pretty cheap too. "Special kit" from bikeHubStore cost only $399. but weight 1495g which is 95 grams over your target.

I own Light-bicycle 46mm and Venn Rev 507 so you can ask me about those two rims.

ddsg

by ddsg

The Flechtwerk wheels from Bike-Components.de could fit the bill. $900, claimed weight of 1370g. Comes with titanium skewers.

ddsg

by ddsg

And to add onto the HED suggestion above, you can find a set of Jet 4 Blacks (black textured brake track) if you're willing to sacrifice weight for better braking. If you're doing a lot of descents, it could be worth it.

apctjb

by apctjb

Thanks for great post. Very helpful

dim

by dim

consider tubeless ready rims
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

Broady

by Broady

These new Hunt wheels look spot on, £949 - 1417g - https://www.huntbikewheels.com/collecti ... f3c278be38

kidrob

by kidrob

ddsg wrote:The Flechtwerk wheels from Bike-Components.de could fit the bill. $900, claimed weight of 1370g. Comes with titanium skewers.

Yeah, they are very decent, I enjoyed them a lot so far, can recommend!

ddsg

by ddsg

kidrob wrote:
ddsg wrote:The Flechtwerk wheels from Bike-Components.de could fit the bill. $900, claimed weight of 1370g. Comes with titanium skewers.

How do they brake in the wet? I'm actually between these or a set of Flo45s right now.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kidrob

by kidrob

ddsg wrote:
kidrob wrote:

How do they brake in the wet? I'm actually between these or a set of Flo45s right now.

Didn't ride them in the wet yet. But riding in the wet with carbon wheels is generally not that great idea... :roll: :wink:

Apparently the German "Tour" magazine test them in this month's version, I will try to get hold of it.