ENVE 4.5 SES - Spoke woes...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

clipsed

by clipsed

So, after discussions with ENVE they want to replace the Rim again (with a brand new one) then relaced it to my existing hub with CX-ray spokes.

They have already done this once and it didn't seem to work.. Should i push to request a new hub? Perhaps a DT240 if they won't change the spoke configuration?

whosatthewheel

by whosatthewheel

clipsed wrote:So, after discussions with ENVE they want to replace the Rim again (with a brand new one) then relaced it to my existing hub with CX-ray spokes.

They have already done this once and it didn't seem to work.. Should i push to request a new hub? Perhaps a DT240 if they won't change the spoke configuration?

DT 240 will give more tension balance, but will produce a slightly weaker wheel. Besides, I don't think they will replace the hub. Play along and once the wheel comes back you can either sell it as planned or you can have the tension checked by a builder with a calibrated tension meter.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ergott

by ergott

Where are you located?

I calibrate my tensiometer and have worked on that exact combination several times. I've also replaced spokes with Sapim CX-Speed or DT Aero Comps. If not local I can probably help you find someone.

jiefrew

by jiefrew

I know I'm late in this post but I have had many spoke issues with my ENVEs and most recently with my 2.2 SES 2nd Gens.

The issue was cured by lacing with DT Aerolites on the NDS and DT Alpine Round on the DS.
The tensions I have checked myself and now do all my own tension checking. I bought my own meter to do this.

Those who run tubless [like me] on ENVEs will be more susceptible to spoke issues due to the tyre impacting the spoke tensions. This is well documented online. See this: https://youtu.be/g3tA57aQA4U

Hope this helps.

RyanH

by RyanH

Just another data point, one of our local riders has broken as many spokes and he's only 135 lbs. He was on the Enve carbon hubs.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Ypuh

by Ypuh

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:13 am
I’ve always liked 2:1 laced rear wheels with 21 spokes. I’ve never broken a 2:1 laced wheels (Shimano, Campy, and Fulcrum). 2:1 laced wheels all use heavy gauge spokes.
Even though I like Fulcrum's or Bora's as well, it goes a bit far to say these don't break based on your experience alone. I did break spokes twice on my Fulcrum Racing 1's and it ain't fun since they use proprietary bladed spokes that have to be bought/ordered seperately (at around $15 each excl shipping).

I much prefer wheels like Zipp, Enve, DT Swiss that are handbuilt and/or use common parts like CX spokes. On these types of wheels I've never had any issues at +/- 80 kg.
Cervelo S3 - 7.3kg
Time ADHX - 8.7kg