MAVIC - why their new rims are rubbish, wheel building skills non-existent and why you shouldn't buy from them

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

kavitator

by kavitator

whosatthewheel wrote:Average tension still a bit low in my opinion...

For Sapim Laser it will be around 110-120kg. Enough for that low weight rim. More important is even tesnion. So all spokes do the job.

really crap wheelbuilding from MAvic - looks like the dont know build "classic" wheels. They have wheelsets with their spokes and nipples and that goes together like "LEGO CUBES".

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ergott

by ergott

whosatthewheel wrote:Average tension still a bit low in my opinion...

Unfortunately, Mavic has a low max tension. Another reason I'll pass on working with them.

F45

by F45

What I'm getting is that c60rider received a wheel back with a Friday afternoon build quality and chose to use that as an excuse to trash the quality of the rim itself, and then insult anyone who doesn't buy his story.

Ell, oh Ell.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I think most of us would be a little more or less upset with the experience that the OP had. The first failure is bad enough, but to get a returned wheel with that build “quality” would be doubly unsettling. To excuse it as a “Friday afternoon build” is well, inexcusable.
Not going so far as to say their wheels are rubbish, but I can certainly empathize with the OP.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

AJS914

by AJS914

I'm surprised they even built a wheel rather than just providing a warranty rim. Doesn't the wheel builder usually eat the labor when there is a warranty issue?

c60rider

by c60rider

Calnago wrote:I think most of us would be a little more or less upset with the experience that the OP had. The first failure is bad enough, but to get a returned wheel with that build “quality” would be doubly unsettling. To excuse it as a “Friday afternoon build” is well, inexcusable.
Not going so far as to say their wheels are rubbish, but I can certainly empathize with the OP.

Thank you

c60rider

by c60rider

AJS914 wrote:I'm surprised they even built a wheel rather than just providing a warranty rim. Doesn't the wheel builder usually eat the labor when there is a warranty issue?

Mavic were clearly surprised with the failure and with the rim being a new to market product they wanted the entire wheel so they arranged collection. They even screwed that up. As I stated in the original post if they had acknowledged that it was a one-off failure of the product and it was safe to use, supplied an acceptable wheel which being Mavic you would have expected that, then I would never have posted any of this. But the whole process, the delays, lack of any feedback until the wheel just arrived, then subsequent lack of further feedback about safety issues was appalling and I expected more. If no one says anything about their experience of failures on products and there are others out there that have problems then eventually the manufacturer is forced to do something about it ie recall the product as is the case in the motor industry, or even withdraw the product from sale as was the case with the Samsung note 7 I think that users had that were catching fire. The ease at which this rim wall folded over gives me little confidence it will stand up to a bit of gravel in the road!

F45

by F45

What I read is that user error destroyed a perfectly good rim and Mavic was less than enthusiastic about building him a new wheel. c60rider should be happy he got a new rim for free and stop complaining so much. And if you think I'm a Mavic nuthugger, go read my previous posts. I am anything but.

Or, at least provide us some data about the wall thickness of the bent area. The fact that hasn't materialized is telling. Either c60 doesnt know how, or he doesn't care.

So his whole post is pointless to me.

F45

by F45

Since these rims are extruded, it makes little sense that the strength of the sidewall would vary between rims. I have personally witnessed levers being used to crank tires on this rim with quite a lot of force and the rim was fine.

Attermann

by Attermann

so an extruded rim can't have any failures?

C36

by C36

To some point I agree with F45. The start of all this is extremely likely a mishandling from OP that he doesn't want to recognise either due to lack of knowledge or skills. I can't buy a wall thickness problem. The thickness there is higher than the one needed to support the tire, it has "fat" to absorb the brake wear.
While I am also very surprised Mavic (Mavic or the local national distributor) decided to rebuild the wheel, whoever did it should have done it properly, period.

C36

by C36

Attermann wrote:so an extruded rim can't have any failures?

Obviously, you can have a flaw in the material or a problem with the tool. But from my (now a bit old I have to confess) experience with extrusions, you should have a failure way before the OP uses the levers.

reedplayer

by reedplayer

btw: just put veloflex master on my rsys clincher (btw i am very happy with those since 5 years!) no chance without levers!

Boooooo

by Boooooo

damn......have a stock of Veloflex 25 mm open tubulars (my favourite ever) ready to be mounted on Mavic Ksyrium Elite UST 2018 19c internal width wheels (rear wheel only to be honest, I will stay tubeless with the front wheel) when found this c60rider thread (and have to say plenty of other people bad experience to fit any other tyre than MAVIC Yksion Pro UST...)
@c60rider how the story ended? Can you say your have been just exceptional? For sure I will try to fit the tyre without lever (usually I never need, I would need to remove)
Regards

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

If a tyre is so tight that it hard to get on stop. a good mechanic knows when to stop. mavic could have done a better rebuild but having used many of these rims now and not had any failures they are decent rims.

I mount tubeless tyres on these rims without issue. I have come across impossible tyre rim combos and i stopped and tried another tyre. Just because you have rim A and tyre B does not mean you make them fit if they don't work together.

The OP also tried fitting a tyre than Mavic don't recommend. they are clear they only recommend their tyres on their rims. they could have said no to a warranty, therefore. they did not. Mavic messed up the build but the OP messed up in the first place.