Want to try TUBULARS

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

LouisN

by LouisN

That's Pennsilvania and US dollars :) ?
I would trust Light Bicycles wheelsets.
At close to $1000. You'll get a nice wheelset with reliable rims ( lots of mtb'ers are running them) with DT240s hubs. And 1 yr warranty.
At your weight I'd go 45mm rims ( 120 kg weight limit) for an all round set, maybe 55 mm if you want more profile. Check for custom wheelsets.
Louis :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

53cxzero

by 53cxzero

Louis, I might need, to be referred to a understanding, rim size charts. Does every thing change, when we go from clincher to tubular? What is the biggest concern when looking at tubular rims, I think I would like to use the Veloflex tires, you mentioned in earlier post. The 45mm vs 55 mm profile size?? thing has me. Best to you, and yours; Robert

LouisN

by LouisN

Basic stuff to look at: choose rim profile based on the usual terrain you're cycling on and the wheel type you want to "feel" : shallower (35-45 mm) will be lighter and feel livelier. At your weight I don't suggest going under 45 mm for rim and wheel solidity. I would also suggest bigger spokes on the rear drive side. At the other end of the spectrum, very deep rims will be heavier, but more aero and will eventually carry more speed (from inertia) on flat terrain. 55 mm is a "mid range". For reference, Zipp 404's are 58 mm and 303's are 45 mm.
Because of the construction type of tubular rims ( no added "hook"), they would be both pretty solid IMO. If that's what you mean by " size chart".
Veloflex Vlaanderen tubs would be super on the 45 mm set :thumbup: .

Louis :)

F45

by F45

Well, clinchers work fine on motorcycles.

53cxzero

by 53cxzero

Thanks, Louis that information gives me, a better starting point. Robert

53cxzero

by 53cxzero

Good evening; I had another basic question about, tubular wheel sets. I understand the rim profile concerning 35mm, 40, 45 etc. MY question is the width of the tubulars I look at ranges from 22mm to 30 plus. IF I am going to use Veloflex Arenberg 25mm tires, WHAT IS the best safe WIDTH tubular to use. It seems the cycle cross folks, have made the tubular market ; whats left of it? go wide BEST to all Robert

sungod

by sungod

it's not just the width, it's the profile of the rim bed

i've used arenberg on 20mm wide lightweight's, no problems with adhesion, and these days most other rims are wider than that

53cxzero

by 53cxzero

Thanks; sun god, I had a nice long chat, with the folks at Light Bicycle. It looks like what they offer will work fine. Robert;

53cxzero

by 53cxzero

Hello, again; I got Farsports 50X25 , Swiss DT 350 hubs, wheelset. They had 20% off March sale. The Veloflex Vlaanderen tires are coming. So I had a question or two. I have read alot on gluing up tubulars on this site and others. Is there a gluing up tubulars for dummies book out there, Which, tape, which glue etc. Or should I go to a shop, one man show ,nice guy, drink coffee and watch him do it? Also for the 50mm depth what valve extensions shold I buy? Best, to you and yours; Robert ;; If there is a step by step guide, show me!!!

sungod

by sungod

it's explained several times in the gluing tubs thread, it really is not difficult

practice putting the tub on the rim with no glue so you get a feel for it and can see if you will need to stretch the tubs

prepare...
make sure rim is ***clean*** no grease or mould release compound, on a new carbon rim i use very fine steel wool to lightly scour the surface to remove release compound, then wipe with acetone on clean cloth
make sure basetape is free of grease, wipe with acetone on clean cloth is ok

glue...
use vittoria mastik one glue, it is the best

there are many online guides, videos etc., there are different styles, number of layers, order of application etc., they all will work ok

https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-he ... ing-sew-up
https://www.condorcycles.com/blogs/jour ... bular-tyre
many many more

53cxzero

by 53cxzero

Thanks, sungod I will review information, layout steps, take my time and do it.

MattN

by MattN

53cxzero wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:31 pm
Hello, again; I got Farsports 50X25 , Swiss DT 350 hubs, wheelset. They had 20% off March sale. The Veloflex Vlaanderen tires are coming. So I had a question or two. I have read alot on gluing up tubulars on this site and others. Is there a gluing up tubulars for dummies book out there, Which, tape, which glue etc. Or should I go to a shop, one man show ,nice guy, drink coffee and watch him do it? Also for the 50mm depth what valve extensions shold I buy? Best, to you and yours; Robert ;; If there is a step by step guide, show me!!!
Have you got your wheels yet?

I'm thinking of exactly the same, 50x25mm, DT350 straight pull.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

The only true "PITA" is cleaning off old glue from rim bead.
I suggest being careful if you have a carbon wheelset.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

gramsqueen

by gramsqueen

Ime it’s worth it to pay the $30 at the LBS for a pro to mount it.

Imaking20

by Imaking20

It's a little crazy to me to buy non-brand wheels when you can pick up Zipp, Reynolds, Mavic etc used for the same budget!

Hopefully the braking on your wheels is acceptable. Glad you're at least coming to the light and riding tubulars! Vlaanderen is a lovely tire and far from fragile!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com