Tubulars - veloflex vs vittoria graphene

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bikebreak

by bikebreak

Just got a lightly used mercury zero tubular set wearing continental sprinter tires (heavy, ~290g)

Obviously thinking of going to lighter higher tpi tires
I have used vittoria for years, the corsa cx and Pave. I don't have riding experience on the Veloflex, but have read they are "better" than the older vittoria corsa. I have not seen any comparison to the new graphene corsa. I suspect the graphene tires may last longer.

My options are front corsa speed 200g + rear corsa graphene or veloflex carbon ~260g
corsa speed 200g + veloflex extreme 240g
veloflex record 190g + extreme 240 or corsa or carbon 260

I don't want a very thin tire like the speed or record on the back.

lots of choices... anyone use both brands and have input?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Asteroid

by Asteroid

I ride Veloflex - the best tubulars, in my opinion. The Vittoria's come in a strong second place.
Riding a front Record. Thin profile that some might object to. Corners and rolls fine for a very light sewup.
You're right about the rear. My Record was on the path to wearing out close to 1,000km. Punctured at 900km and tossed it.
Mounted a rear Criterium 260 (similar to the Carbon, but with tan sidewalls) and it rides near perfection.
My rear mileage typically gets just over 2,500km before needing replacement. Fronts seem to last forever, with the sun & heat having the biggest impact on their longevity.
Probikekit is running a good 10% off for four tubulars. With free shipping, I bought four Carbons out-the-door for $250. I think I'll order another four, since my wife didn't complain about the credit card charge.
They're slow on delivery, usually taking about two weeks from order to receipt (UK to California). East Coast probably faster. :unbelievable:
Oldbie

sungod

by sungod

i'ver used both, personally i would stick with veloflex unless you have the luxury of only ever riding dry+clean roads

viewtopic.php?f=113&t=145064&p=1311175&hilit=grip#p1311175

vamoots58

by vamoots58

Spent about 3 years exclusively on FMB, amazing ride quality! Rode the Comp CX (now Service Course), Paris-Roubaix, and Paris-Roubaix Pro. When I built up my Look 695, I found that the tire clearance for 25's was hit or miss, often miss with the FMB's. Seems to be a bit more variability in size from tire to tire. When they fit, they're hands down (IMHO) the best. Recently tried both the Graphene+ and the Roubaix. Graphene's rode very nicely and lasted reasonably well. Sketchy roads last year and I got about 2,000 miles on the rear. Have now switched to the Velo Roubaix's which I find slightly better feeling on the road (my imagination?? Perhaps...). I do find that there is no variability from tire to tire and fit is fine. Honestly can't go wrong with the top offering form two of the best tubs;ar builders out there!!

Alexandrumarian

by Alexandrumarian

I'm a recent convert to tubulars and have Veloflex Arenberg (25mm). They are 290 grams but I'm very happy so far. Clearly comfortable than the various 25 clinchers with latex I had before, same pressure, but I couldn't tell how much of this comes from the actual wheel (35mm carbon, fewer spokes vs classic alu rim with many spokes)

I have exactly 1000Km. No cuts, no flats. Thread pattern has lost some of the original crispness but seems far from being 1/2 or even 1/3 worn. Roads have been mostly average to rough quality, plenty of potholes, glass and a bit of gravel too.

Grip seems fine going downhill although I once experienced something new and funny: started a full power sprint on a short uphill and rear wheel lost traction!

NiFTY

by NiFTY

I ride veloflex criteriums (23mm) glued to ax lightness ultra 25t I love them. I finally get tubulars. Thry glued up easy as, and they roll lovely and have plenty of grip. i had corsa g+ on prior. Never felt they rolled or corned well. But despite regluing them they never seemed to fit well to the rim. They are certainly oversized for 25mm and this may be the culprit. Air retention was much worse than the veloflex too.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com