Tubeless road tires don't work for everyone - discuss

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mattr

by mattr

+1 pressures like that pretty much defeat the purpose of tubeless.

I'm running about 6 bar on 23s and i'm NOT running tubeless. (and i'm not far of jever98s weight......)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

hannawald

by hannawald

That's about what Schwalbe recommends for their tyres. I am 81kgs, so a bit more with gear.
My bike is very comfortable with this setup, I don't need more:) And the higher the better for rolling resistance. I don't ride gravel.. 6 bars for 28mm tyres is not something extraordinary, is it? I am try going slightly less and try your suggestion but this can not be the reason for sealant leakage, right?

Marin

by Marin

bm0p700f wrote:I have a bunch of crr data on my computer for irc tyres.

Very interesting, where is the data from?

mattr

by mattr

hannawald wrote:That's about what Schwalbe recommends for their tyres. I am 81kgs, so a bit more with gear.
My bike is very comfortable with this setup, I don't need more:) And the higher the better for rolling resistance.
Just checked the Schwalbe site, and any "tyre pressure recommendation" text that includes that little gem would have me clicking elsewhere. It's rubbish. The pressures quoted are all on the high side as well. And if i always took note of min and max tyre pressure on the sidewall, i'd not be able to ride my MTB!
hannawald wrote:6 bars for 28mm tyres is not something extraordinary, is it? I am try going slightly less and try your suggestion but this can not be the reason for sealant leakage, right?
It's on the high end of what you'd call normal. I'm heavier than you and run less pressure in smaller tyres with panniers and a rack fitted......

FWIW, sealant leakage through the nipple holes could be due to a leak through the rim joint if it's pinned instead of welded, which is essentially a problem with the taping.

hannawald

by hannawald

it is a carbon rim so I don´t know what the joint is..
maybe it doesn´t matter, i just can´t remember I had these problems on mtb..I changed the tape and paid to my service to do it but it is here again..so I am just asking whether is normal or I should worry..

dim

by dim

I've fitted a new IRC Formula Pro RBCC to my HED Belgium Plus rim ....

tyre levers were not needed and it took me approx 8 minutes to fit (keep squeezing/pinching the sidewalls and eventually it will fit easily

then ..... I tried to pump up the tyre but it would not pump as the air was leaking out the sides (I was going to pump it up, then leave it overnight, then add sealant today)

added approx 30ml of Orange sealant, and it sealed and has held air overnight, so I'm happy (a fair bit of sealant leaked out from the sides so I may add a bit more sealant today)
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Often with hed rims you need compressed air because you are able to fit the irc tyre by hand. Soapy water can help them go up with a track pump alone. I fitted a set of irc's cx tyres to some heads last week and with soapy water inflation was easy. The issue here is the hed rim because the same tyre on other rims like velocity ailerons, various kinlins mavic open pro ust rims... Inflate with a track pump alone.

I have found some tubeless tyres dont even lock into the bead of hed rims, the loose fit that this rims gives maybe a contributing factor. The irc's though do lock into place.

hannawald

by hannawald

is it normal to have sealant under the tape? I put the tyres away and cleaned everything , but there is sealant under the tape...i read that it´s not good for the aluminium nipples as they can be scratched and it could cause corrosion..
Attachments
DSC_0187.JPG

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

hannawald wrote:is it normal to have sealant under the tape? I put the tyres away and cleaned everything , but there is sealant under the tape...i read that it´s not good for the aluminium nipples as they can be scratched and it could cause corrosion..

Sometimes I get a little bit of sealant in between layers of tape at the end of my wrap, but no, sealant consistently under the full circumference of the tape means you didn’t wrap tightly enough or press down firmly enough.

I also can’t really see what’s going on in that photo. Do you have a clear orange tape on top of a black layer of tape?

hannawald

by hannawald

no, the orange thing is the sealant - orange seal. tape is transparent black (dt swiss).

Marin

by Marin

If sealant got into the rim in one place (maybe at the valve) if could have reached the tape via the nipple holes?

mattr

by mattr

Looks like you might need to redo that tape job. That much sealant under the tape don't look good.

Might be worth cleaning the sealant out of the rim cavity while you are at it as well.

hannawald

by hannawald

I put the tape away. There was a bit of sealant on the rim as well, not just between the layers. But majority between the layers. Some of the sealant was inside the rim as I washed it with my bike cleaning foam and water and it was a little orange coloured at the beginning. Now I let it dry properly for couple of days?

I have discovered 2 potential issues..my rims are 17,5mm inner width and the manufacturer recommends 19mm tape but my tape was 22mm..
The valve hole in the rim is preshaped so the manufacturer recommends conical tubeless valve, but I have american classic tubeless valve, which is not typically conical, but use a rubber seal of 2 different diameters so it is probably fine?

what is recommended: https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/sch ... 0mm-442497
what I have: https://amclassic.com/index.php/tubeles ... -pair.html

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

I use 25mm tape on 19mm inner width rims. I actually prefer the tape climb up the sides of the rims...

1) It creates a better seal
2) It prevents sealant from getting under the tape
3) It prevents the tape from shifting at all

I dislike the American Classic and old Orange Seal valves. The valves with the conical stoppers are the best.

ms6073

by ms6073

TobinHatesYou wrote:I use 25mm tape on 19mm inner width rims. I actually prefer the tape climb up the sides of the rims...

While I would think that running the tape that high would interfere with the proper 'popping' of the tire bead into the groove, it would prevent the tape from rolling back and sticking to the tire bead which I have observed using Gorilla tape on carbon wheels.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com