Vittoria Corsa Elite tubular tire

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

themidge

by themidge

Does anyone know of a similar tub (price, weight, puncture resistance) to the conti sprinter that comes in gum wall flavour? They seem great except I really don't like all-black tyres. Cheers

Wookski

by Wookski

themidge wrote:Does anyone know of a similar tub (price, weight, puncture resistance) to the conti sprinter that comes in gum wall flavour? They seem great except I really don't like all-black tyres. Cheers

Veloflex Roubaix- gumwall, handmade, latex tube, much better feeling and very durable. My "everyday" tyres are Roubaix/ Arenberg depending on whether I want black or gum. Not continental but I prefer not to ride garden hose :wink:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

3Pio

by 3Pio

Wookski wrote:
themidge wrote:Does anyone know of a similar tub (price, weight, puncture resistance) to the conti sprinter that comes in gum wall flavour? They seem great except I really don't like all-black tyres. Cheers

Veloflex Roubaix- gumwall, handmade, latex tube, much better feeling and very durable. My "everyday" tyres are Roubaix/ Arenberg depending on whether I want black or gum. Not continental but I prefer not to ride garden hose :wink:

And almost twice more then Conti Sprinter, and amost same price as Corsa G+ :) (also in gumwall)...

sungod

by sungod

for cheap gumwall, look at the conti giro, from the weight it's got plenty of rubber, that might make it tougher than the sprinter

TwiggyTN

by TwiggyTN

kgt wrote:I am a fan of the Continental Sprinters as well. Not the most sublime tire but when considering its ride quality*puncture resistance it comes at the very top. They come cheap too (36-44 euros).
Yeah, Sprinters are my go to rain tires too. Grip is very confidence inspiring and apart from a few small cuts, zero punctures over several months of rain rides.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

themidge

by themidge

sungod wrote:for cheap gumwall, look at the conti giro, from the weight it's got plenty of rubber, that might make it tougher than the sprinter

Thanks for the replies everyone. I've actually got conti giros on my Vitus 979 and they feel pretty good, about the same as the veloflex masters (25c) on my other bike but I haven't ridden any other tubs to compare them with. They only come in 22c though, which is OK for cruising around and hill reps, but for normal, longer rides I kinda want something wider.

LouisN

by LouisN

A few of these left, not too expensive:
https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TBVICOEVS ... bular-tyre

Louis :)

themidge

by themidge

3Pio

by 3Pio

Sorry to write in a bit old thread, but this days finally i had a chance to ride Continental Sprinter 25 mm on Bora 50 AC3 tubs..

Im 73-74 kg at the moment, and as first i tried riding them with about 7.3, 7.6 pressure, but found them very stiff, so now im using 6.5 6.8 pressure which is much better.

But what im very suprised, is how slippery they are on wet road (im suprised because i read comments how good in rain they are). I did not ride them in rain, but steep downhills with just a few meters wet asphalt.. Tried to brake there, and almost fall down since they start loosing traction... On other wheelset im riding Corsa G+ tubulars (Bora 35), and this never happened even in more serious rain...

So do i have wrong pressure for my weight? Or just this tires are not good on wet and downhill in same time?

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Are you sure you’re not confusing them with the Conti Competitions?... which are excellent in the wet. My favorite in fact.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

3Pio

by 3Pio

Calnago wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 10:01 pm
Are you sure you’re not confusing them with the Conti Competitions?... which are excellent in the wet. My favorite in fact.

Im sure :) I read that reviews and comments many times (also not confusing them with Conti Sprinter Gatorskin).

But im also sure, that next time i'll get a pair of Competition :)

DWatkinsBSB

by DWatkinsBSB

glepore wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:46 am
Sealants (all of them as far as I know) work just as well in butyl as in latex tubes.
They work in both, but a lot better on latex:

https://www.slowtwitch.com/Products/Thi ... _4155.html

Kurets

by Kurets

I'd be surprised if it's not just a case of reinforcement of previous beliefs. The Conti Sprinters use the same rubber compound as the Competitions but have a slightly cheaper construction. The Competition (along with most Conti tyres) are known to have good wet grip.

Honestly, I have the same perception of my Michelin Pro4 tubulars just because I crashed on a dirty off camber corner once, and felt them slipping in an oily roundabout. I know from wet races that they are okay in the rain, but it's hard to shake the belief once it sticks.

Another possibility is that you got an old pair where the outermost rubber has to wear off before they get grippy.

3Pio

by 3Pio

Kurets wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 5:26 pm
I'd be surprised if it's not just a case of reinforcement of previous beliefs. The Conti Sprinters use the same rubber compound as the Competitions but have a slightly cheaper construction. The Competition (along with most Conti tyres) are known to have good wet grip.

Honestly, I have the same perception of my Michelin Pro4 tubulars just because I crashed on a dirty off camber corner once, and felt them slipping in an oily roundabout. I know from wet races that they are okay in the rain, but it's hard to shake the belief once it sticks.

Another possibility is that you got an old pair where the outermost rubber has to wear off before they get grippy.
When i bought them, based on reviews for good wet grip, i was very suprised that the first slippering was going uphill on part of wet asphtal (rear tire skid...)

But i ignore this, until i got this going downhill and few times.. Now im a bit more carefull..

I bought them from german online shop, i got them in the original box (one tire in one box). I bough them in October, and install last week. Dont know, maybe i got old pair or something.. Until now never this kind of problem with Conti's i have used until now (all clinchers: Attack/Force, 4000 SII, GP4....)

I allready have about 300 km on them (tomorrow will have another 125 km), so hope they'll become grippy soon...

3Pio

by 3Pio

Ok, after 600 km on this tires (Continental Sprinter) i can say they are dangerous for riding. I found this bad way.. On really easy ride, perfect weather, while crossing the railway with 10-15 km/h (i have ride this at least 100 times, and very often winter time and in rain), the front tire just lost all the grip, without any warning....(never ever happened like this to me )

Result? Fracture on my hand wrist, broken helmet (Giro Synthe done the job perfectly, i'll order the same as i had. Non MIPS version) and at least 8 weeks off the bike :(

BTW, bike is not damaged, not even scratched (as i can see for now, but more detailed inspection will follow).All impact was on my arm and head..Im using EASTON EC 90SLX3 carbon handlebar.No signs of damage or some cracks..Should i consider for replacement after this? (even my hoods are not rotated after the crash)

ImageImage

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com