Chosen hubs

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

lwk

by lwk

Are there any forum members using chosen hubs? Am looking for more info on the quality of the hubs, specifically the 120T or 150T rear hub. Are they a viable alternative to novatec? Also, where are they available for sale? Unfortunately not much available on google

kavitator

by kavitator

I think Chosen makes hubs for other companys.

Stan no tubes has them (now they made their own), planet x, equinox and many others.

Not for rain and soft aluminium.

They work.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alcatraz

by alcatraz

With hubs I think it's a little bit like this:

Price - Weight - Durability : Pick 2..

If you are a lightweight or don't put out much power you don't need as much durability. Some users really trash their hubs with 1000+w sprints, bunny hopping and potholes while weighing a lot themselves.

You have to ask someone that has a similar weight, riding style, road conditions and power output, or that have used hubs for many years and thousands of kilometers to get a 100% reliable answer. The unfortunate thing about hubs is that once the wheel is built it's not easy to replace.

I've found my light weight taiwan hubs have a weakness in the freehub that is alloy. Steep climbs with high torque and alloy freehub doesn't mate well. They do still work but I get an occasional pop from the freehub before all the splines have engaged properly.

Mentioned above is your gearing choice might influence your choice of hub. Because large cassettes (equally small chainrings) can produce a high amount of torque on the hub which it might not be designed for. So if you are a strong/heavy climber or a sprinter you might need to use a stronger freehub material than alloy.

I suggest sealead bearings vs cup/cone. Different people have different opinion on this. Yes balls are usually smaller in sealed bearings which influences their max torque/weight/lifespan and it can create some play in the wheels, but it's sure smoother and convenient to keep the wheels spinning for many years.

Also if you are a heavy or strong rider the bearing size matters. I notice my taiwan hubs come with 6802 bearings which are too small. They need to be replaced often even for me with 62kg. I do love steep climbs though. :D

Good luck

/a

whosatthewheel

by whosatthewheel

I've got a pair of Chosen disguised as Planet X. They are OK, I'd say the freehub is better than a Novatec in that the pawls are individually sprung as opposed to being held together by a flimsy retainer ring, the rest is similar. Difficult to source Chosen hubs... I've seen them on some German websites in the past, can't remember where. If they are cheap fine, otherwise Hope are in a different league :mrgreen:

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

hope crack flanges not many but other brands fail to do that. The novatec pawl spring is not so bad. The one issue with individual springs is if one or two springs fail and they can you end up with uneven loading on the pawls and ratchet ring which can break the ring, damage the freehub body and put unsavory loads on the axle. I discussed this with miche and the conclusion is individual pawls are a good marketing ploy (hope have done it well) but it has downsides not often considered and those problems can be more of a problem than a ride cut short.