tour mag aero road disc test

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

spartan

by spartan

does anyone have the test results data from the article.
shame English version of tour mag is no longer published.
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

kgt

by kgt

stormur wrote:It would be even more interesting when included data measured at "real life speed" ; like 35-40 kph range. But it rather won't happened. Wheel manufacturers don't allow for such heresy ;)

+1
Focusing on normal speeds and normal yaws would prove that, in practice, all this testing data is useless.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Beaver

by Beaver

spartan wrote:does anyone have the test results data from the article.
shame English version of tour mag is no longer published.

I did, but my post has been deleted. ;)

The difference between the best and worst disc wheelset was 8 watts at 45kmph - you will need 450 watts overall for this speed, so any differences won't be noticable. 3T's wide U shape was the fastest but also most affected by crosswinds, Reynolds' drop shape a bit slower but best in crosswinds. Enve's round V shape in the middle.

BeeSeeBee

by BeeSeeBee

kgt wrote:
stormur wrote:It would be even more interesting when included data measured at "real life speed" ; like 35-40 kph range. But it rather won't happened. Wheel manufacturers don't allow for such heresy ;)

+1
Focusing on normal speeds and normal yaws would prove that, in practice, all this testing data is useless.

You both do realize that it's reported in cdA right? Remember, the power to overcome aero drag is proportional to V^3. You can figure out your relative time/watt savings at whatever speed from there.

Beaver

by Beaver

At 35kmph half the power, so 225 watts overall and the wheels best to worse will have 4 watts difference. ;)

But aero wheels look better. ;)

BeeSeeBee

by BeeSeeBee

Beaver wrote:But aero wheels look better. ;)

Ain't that the truth! 8)

sawyer

by sawyer

Beaver wrote:https://silca.cc/blogs/journal/part-4b-rolling-resistance-and-impedance

I never noticed any big differences between wheels until I got 21mm inner width. When you ride on smooth asphalt and then get on rough tarmac with a 23mm tire on a 17C rim with 100psi you will notice an immediate increase in rolling resistance and probably change to a lower gear. With a 25mm tire on 21C with 60psi not so. And it doesn't feel slower on smooth asphalt either...

With aero wheels you notice a slight improvement when the wind comes from diagonally forward or descends at high speeds. But in all other cases... :noidea:

You need to be really fast to notice it. Wider rims help everybody.

I don't consider myself really fast, but on smooth asphalt, lots of time at c45km/h is achievable ... at that speed you do notice aero wheels vs parachutes for sure
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

From my own testing 19, 20mm and 21mm internal width rims feel very similar withe same tyre. Wider of course helps. The velo ity quill is a rim with a 21mm internal width.

As for crr test on steel drums not being realistic well they are not unless you ride on steel rollers but i now have a bunch of irc tyres tested. I can now road test the same tyres and see if they rank the same when aero hung id used. If the rank in the same order (7 TYRES) then it the rolling drum tests are telling us something.