Bare Composites

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

glepore

by glepore

It would help their marketing if they didn't say things like "proprietary" when its obvious that its not. Putting a label on something doesn't make it "proprietary". I have no trust in these guy now.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

oldturd

by oldturd

ergott wrote:I'm just going to leave this here :shock:

That's some of the worst flange spacing I've ever seen if it's correct.

Wow that image is pulled directly from Bitex' page and they just added their logo on it! :o

ichobi

by ichobi

Could learn a thing or two from good folks from November wheels re: transparency and not making bs claim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joejack951

by joejack951

I'm not seeing what there is to get excited about. The Instagram feed seems like as much an advertisement for Specialized as 'their' wheel. And what does the warranty get you? Are you really going to ship your wheels back to have them trued? Are they going to pay the labor charges from your LBS to service the wheels with the parts they provide? Pricing seems quite high given the Bitex hubs, too. Nothing against Bitex, I ride a pair (built with open mold rims and CX Ray spokes, total cost $535) but I bought them because they were light-ish and cheap. On a $1400+ pair of wheels, I'd expect better.

The whole thing reminds me of: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bb7eCgLbLI (TheDarkInstall: How To Make Your Own Fake Wheel Company!)

spartan

by spartan

who would be f*** stupid to buy these wheels. americans can buy campy boras fulcrum speed clinchers for ~1500 usd. 10x better. wait 100x better
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

rossjm11

by rossjm11

oldturd wrote:@rossjm11; what did your friend have to say about the wheels that he loved?

they are fairly light, seem very strong, and look nice. In my opinion, at this point most wheels are nice so if they are aesthetically pleasing that kind of sets them apart from an ugly set like Hed right away. I'll try to get a pair to ride and let you know what I think.
BMC SLR01 2015
Redline Conquest Team

jekyll man

by jekyll man

Pinched from the slowtwitch forum:

http://www.bladecarbonwheels.com/rims/

Looks kinda familiar :)
Official cafe stop tester

AJS914

by AJS914

So I wonder who makes the rims. I guess "cnc filament winding" is just bullshit?

shuttlenote

by shuttlenote

oldturd wrote:
ergott wrote:I'm just going to leave this here :shock:

[img]https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/2253/1175/files/BareBH-1Rear_large.png?v=1505234830[/mg]

That's some of the worst flange spacing I've ever seen if it's correct.

Wow that image is pulled directly from Bitex' page and they just added their logo on it! :o

LOL nice catch!

glepore

by glepore

It was discussed in another thread that farsports is producing rims with similar cosmetics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

rossjm11

by rossjm11

jekyll man wrote:Pinched from the slowtwitch forum:

http://www.bladecarbonwheels.com/rims/

Looks kinda familiar :)

Yeah but they cost almost double... I don't know, they are clearly Chinese produced wheels, but they are cheaper than a lot of them and they have a backing.
BMC SLR01 2015
Redline Conquest Team

Ruliana

by Ruliana

#BareComposites #BareNation

Posting today about an example of the wrong way to do customer service. If you’re a cyclist and especially a shop owner, please read on.

In October of 2017 I decided to spend some money on a new set of race wheels. A friend of mine told me about a new company, Bare Composites, consisting of current and former bike racers trying to get a company off the ground. He knew one of the guys personally (found out recently this person is no longer involved with the company) and I decided to check them out. I liked what I saw and decided to take a chance on them. They had a pre-order sale going on and I paid in full for the wheels with an expected delivery some time in November. November came and went and Bare sent a couple of emails saying that they were behind their production schedule. No big deal as there isn’t much racing on the east coast in the winter. After being extremely patient I finally took delivery of the wheels – in FEBRUARY. Again, not a big deal but should have sent me a message of things to come.

I eventually got the wheels prepped and ready to go for my first race on May 20th. On the 19th I took them out for a pre-race spin on them. I rode them a whopping 12 miles and all seemed well. Got home and put the pump back on the wheels to make sure they weren’t leaking air. Put them to 115psi and went about my day. A few hours later I came back and noticed the front wheel was flat. Picked it up expecting a bad tube but found out the rim had actually blown out at the brake surface. I immediately sent a message to Bare through their website. To their credit they were initially very responsive. Zack Morris (no clue what his actual title is) asked me to send photos from different angles that he could send to his “engineering team”. He never (and still has not) asked me to send the defective product back for evaluation. Zack also never mentioned to me that their entire “team” would be taking some unknown Asian Holiday and would be unavailable for the balance of that week. When I followed up with him a few days later he said that my claim was being reviewed. By the end of the week I sent another message that he never responded to. By the weekend I figured I’d take a shot at the phone number on Bare’s website. It was Zacks cell phone. He gave me the story about the delay being because of the “Asian Holiday” and Memorial Day weekend. My point to him was, “how long does it take to review 3 photos”? It wasn’t as if they were doing some kind of analysis on examining the actual wheel. Maybe my expectations were unrealistic but I was upset – this literally happened on my first ride.

At this point things started to break down. I told Zack the level of communication was simply unacceptable. 10 days after sending in the photos with no response that they were received and being reviewed aside from Zack telling me that was the case. As far as I can tell he’s the only person that works at Bare because I cannot reach anyone else about my claim. Zack responded to this email on 5/30 telling me the photos were being reviewed and telling me they’d have me back on the road as soon as possible. He also proceeded to tell me how long he’s been in the industry and how long warranty claims can take. My point to Zack was that as a small company just starting out they should be able to more nimble and provide better customer service than “industry standard”. As an early investor in his company I expected Bare to bend over backward to make things right. Zack acted like I was being a pest and an annoyance.

By June 4th I still hadn’t heard anything. I sent another email to Zack expressing my displeasure with how things were being handled. That email resulted in a terse response simply saying my warranty was being accepted and they would ship me a new “rim”. A new rim? After 12 miles? They weren’t just going to send me a new wheel? Were they going to pay to have the old wheel stripped and the new one rebuilt? How long would this take? Did I need to send the old one back to Bare and at whose cost? I immediately responded to Zacks email. No response. I emailed again the following day. No response. I tried twice on facebook messenger. No response.I tried calling Zacks cell phone. No response. At this point (June 14) I’d had enough. I sent Zack one final email giving him a chance to make things right or I’d begin to tell my story to anyone who’d listen. His response was more or less telling me I’d get the rim and nothing more and basically to piss off. As a customer I’ve never been treated in such a degrading way. I’m not sure what Bare is offering because it’s not product quality and it’s not customer service. In Zacks mind maybe I was being a pain in the ass but guess what, I’m his customer and I’m not happy. It’s his job to listen and make things right. Instead he choose to take an elitist attitude and is just hoping that I’ll go away.

My lesson learned in all of this is stay with a reputable brand. Even better, go through your local bike shop (Bare is only on the internet) who can be your advocate when things don’t go as planned. You may pay a little more but its worth it when you find yourself in the situation I’m now in.

I told Zack in one of my first emails that I wasn’t upset about the product failure so much as I was to the treatment of the issue. They are a new company and things will go wrong. Where they dropped the ball was the opportunity to make things right.

It’s now June 20th and I still have no rim and no timeline. Zack told me he would no longer even respond to my emails. So now I just sit and wait and then have to pay to have the wheel rebuilt whenever he decides to ship it to me. I’m not sure what’s taking so long as a friend of mine checked in with Bare and they confirmed that the wheel I need is in stock. It would appear that Zack is simply not shipping it to me because I pissed him off.

Please share if you feel compelled. I’d be surprised if this company makes it a year based on my experience.

antonioiglesius

by antonioiglesius

Having been on both sides and encountered awesome/terrible service/customers, I feel I need to play the devil's advocate by asking for evidence to substantiate your claims. I was also thinking of asking for your real/full name but I guess I won't...

Ruliana

by Ruliana

antonioiglesius wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:39 am
Having been on both sides and encountered awesome/terrible service/customers, I feel I need to play the devil's advocate by asking for evidence to substantiate your claims. I was also thinking of asking for your real/full name but I guess I won't...
Photos attached.
Attachments
4A391C2B-8CF6-420F-8E55-DDC4B3E8A2A7.jpeg
068C6FD3-7CFD-4804-985E-3382422CCB82.jpeg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

itsbeenknown

by itsbeenknown

#FakeNews

If you follow Zack on social media you know that he is an absolutely stand up guy and that RUliana is what is called an angry Consumer. This guy started sending threatening emails to the company when it was first launching demanding that he get his wheels sooner. All the pressure seems to showcase this perfectly now that his case is saying that he left them in the garage for months after receiving them.

Fact is you bought set of wheels in pre-sale at a significant discount and KNEW WHAT YOU WERE BUYING! The reality is that you are a self-serving POS for trying to rub the dogs s**t in its face. Don't play the victim. Your acting like you were trying to help a new company but really your just looking to score yourself a deal then tried to further manipulate when you overinflated your tires and blew the sidewall out. If I were the company owner I wouldn't even approve of that claim, which I read on Facebook was the result.

I've worked in bike shops for 35 years and I feel like I've seen 1 of you walk through the door every single day feeling sorry for themselves expecting the world to revolve around them. I have 3 friends that race on these wheels, and have nothing but good things to say about them, and they really kick it in the masters categories.

Stop trying to ruin the brand and the kid's reputation because you're broke and trapped in a life you can't get out of.

I hope the kid takes you to the cleaners.

Ruliana wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:55 am
#BareComposites #BareNation

Posting today about an example of the wrong way to do customer service. If you’re a cyclist and especially a shop owner, please read on.

In October of 2017 I decided to spend some money on a new set of race wheels. A friend of mine told me about a new company, Bare Composites, consisting of current and former bike racers trying to get a company off the ground. He knew one of the guys personally (found out recently this person is no longer involved with the company) and I decided to check them out. I liked what I saw and decided to take a chance on them. They had a pre-order sale going on and I paid in full for the wheels with an expected delivery some time in November. November came and went and Bare sent a couple of emails saying that they were behind their production schedule. No big deal as there isn’t much racing on the east coast in the winter. After being extremely patient I finally took delivery of the wheels – in FEBRUARY. Again, not a big deal but should have sent me a message of things to come.

I eventually got the wheels prepped and ready to go for my first race on May 20th. On the 19th I took them out for a pre-race spin on them. I rode them a whopping 12 miles and all seemed well. Got home and put the pump back on the wheels to make sure they weren’t leaking air. Put them to 115psi and went about my day. A few hours later I came back and noticed the front wheel was flat. Picked it up expecting a bad tube but found out the rim had actually blown out at the brake surface. I immediately sent a message to Bare through their website. To their credit they were initially very responsive. Zack Morris (no clue what his actual title is) asked me to send photos from different angles that he could send to his “engineering team”. He never (and still has not) asked me to send the defective product back for evaluation. Zack also never mentioned to me that their entire “team” would be taking some unknown Asian Holiday and would be unavailable for the balance of that week. When I followed up with him a few days later he said that my claim was being reviewed. By the end of the week I sent another message that he never responded to. By the weekend I figured I’d take a shot at the phone number on Bare’s website. It was Zacks cell phone. He gave me the story about the delay being because of the “Asian Holiday” and Memorial Day weekend. My point to him was, “how long does it take to review 3 photos”? It wasn’t as if they were doing some kind of analysis on examining the actual wheel. Maybe my expectations were unrealistic but I was upset – this literally happened on my first ride.

At this point things started to break down. I told Zack the level of communication was simply unacceptable. 10 days after sending in the photos with no response that they were received and being reviewed aside from Zack telling me that was the case. As far as I can tell he’s the only person that works at Bare because I cannot reach anyone else about my claim. Zack responded to this email on 5/30 telling me the photos were being reviewed and telling me they’d have me back on the road as soon as possible. He also proceeded to tell me how long he’s been in the industry and how long warranty claims can take. My point to Zack was that as a small company just starting out they should be able to more nimble and provide better customer service than “industry standard”. As an early investor in his company I expected Bare to bend over backward to make things right. Zack acted like I was being a pest and an annoyance.

By June 4th I still hadn’t heard anything. I sent another email to Zack expressing my displeasure with how things were being handled. That email resulted in a terse response simply saying my warranty was being accepted and they would ship me a new “rim”. A new rim? After 12 miles? They weren’t just going to send me a new wheel? Were they going to pay to have the old wheel stripped and the new one rebuilt? How long would this take? Did I need to send the old one back to Bare and at whose cost? I immediately responded to Zacks email. No response. I emailed again the following day. No response. I tried twice on facebook messenger. No response.I tried calling Zacks cell phone. No response. At this point (June 14) I’d had enough. I sent Zack one final email giving him a chance to make things right or I’d begin to tell my story to anyone who’d listen. His response was more or less telling me I’d get the rim and nothing more and basically to piss off. As a customer I’ve never been treated in such a degrading way. I’m not sure what Bare is offering because it’s not product quality and it’s not customer service. In Zacks mind maybe I was being a pain in the ass but guess what, I’m his customer and I’m not happy. It’s his job to listen and make things right. Instead he choose to take an elitist attitude and is just hoping that I’ll go away.

My lesson learned in all of this is stay with a reputable brand. Even better, go through your local bike shop (Bare is only on the internet) who can be your advocate when things don’t go as planned. You may pay a little more but its worth it when you find yourself in the situation I’m now in.

I told Zack in one of my first emails that I wasn’t upset about the product failure so much as I was to the treatment of the issue. They are a new company and things will go wrong. Where they dropped the ball was the opportunity to make things right.

It’s now June 20th and I still have no rim and no timeline. Zack told me he would no longer even respond to my emails. So now I just sit and wait and then have to pay to have the wheel rebuilt whenever he decides to ship it to me. I’m not sure what’s taking so long as a friend of mine checked in with Bare and they confirmed that the wheel I need is in stock. It would appear that Zack is simply not shipping it to me because I pissed him off.

Please share if you feel compelled. I’d be surprised if this company makes it a year based on my experience.