dugast tread separation

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

sungod

by sungod

just noticed on a dugast strada silk 22mm the tread is separating from the carcass at the edge on one side of the tub

aside from a damp road (not full on wet) ride about three weeks ago it's not been exposed to water, nor to any chemicals apart from being glued, since then some hot rides, though still only about 800km total on the tyre

it's the front wheel

i'm inclined to just glue it back with contact adhesive, before i do, any ideas? or am i better binning it and put a veloflex on?

the idea of the tread parting company on a fast bend is scary!

damond

by damond

Contact Dugast, they are normally very pleasing to contact with. If you're tire is new i am sure they will change it

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sungod

by sungod

i looked closer, it is actually worse than i thought, no way would risk riding on it, so i removed it and fitted a veloflex

will contact dugast as you suggest

damond

by damond

i've contacted them before because of tubular in which i had a cut in the tread but the carcass was pratically new and they were very pleasing to contact with. They have asked me to send the tire to them so that they could unglue the old tread and glue a new one to the same carcass!

Geoff

by Geoff

You'll be fine re-gluing the tread with Barge cement. I used to have to do that with the old Barums, too. That is one of the challenges of true, hand-made tubulars without a 'vulcanized' tread (i.e., adhered to the casing by hand-rolling with contact cement only, as opposed to the application of heat and pressure).

When you glue it, use a toothpick to spread the Barge evenly on both surfaces. Use more toothpicks to keep the two surfaces separate (this can be tricky, as the glue is really sticky). You need to make sure that the Barge cement cures properly before joining the tread and casing. It only takes about 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, clamp it gently, but firmly (there is still a tube in there). I use a spring-loaded plastic clamp from a set I got at Rona. In the old days, I used a textbook, that worked fine, too.

sungod

by sungod

thanks for the info - i found a few threads on regluing cx tubs, but nothing for road

fyi i'm on a cycling vacation so limited in what i can get access to, my old tube of barge has run out fixing a basetape, there are some very fast corners and a few places needing 'heroic' braking, i'm not keen on trusting with unknown glues!

but in the bike box i had two spare front and two spare rear tubs with me (all veloflex), plus mastik and brishes, made it an easy option to just change the strada for now

i'l see what dugast say, and decide what to do once i'm back

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com