Lightweight Ventoux III

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

sungod

by sungod

rd adjustment is a piece of cake

if you can change gear and are able to fit a quick release you possess all necessary skills :)

KCookie

by KCookie

The wheels are now in Melbourne making their way down to Adelaide and a Sram cassette should be here by a week Monday at the latest. Can't wait. Let's hope I don't do any damage whilst changing the cassette. !!!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KCookie

by KCookie

Didn't realise that different makes of 11-28 cassettes varied in combination. That just shows my ignorance. Most of my riding is in the 4-5 largest cogs, with the Sram missing one compared to Dura Ace I'm hoping this isn't going to be a problem.
The other thread in the road section "Shimano vs Sram" is making me nervous as the guys are saying Shimano is quieter and shifts better.
Let's hope this isn't going to be waste of money.

sungod

by sungod

they both shift fine, people get hung up on their favourite brand

i believe they are laid out...

sram 11,12,13,14,15,16,17,19,22,25,28
shimano 11 / 12 / 13 / 14 / 15 / 17 / 19 / 21 / 23 / 25 / 28

i much prefer the sram 11-28 as it has the 16 cog, without it the gap going 15-17 right in the middle of the cassette is right where i don't want it, whereas the one at 19-22 is noticeable enough that it 'signals' to me where i am on the cassette, and if it is going to get a lot steeper i should think about dropping to the small ring on the next shift

but i can appreciate other people may prefer it different!

KCookie

by KCookie

Yes that's the correct lay out.
Jumping from 19-22 is going to be noticeable, then won't it be the same for the next two gear changes, 22-25, 25-28, that's what's worrying me, with Shimano being 19-21-23-25, surely that's going to be smoother, with only the last gear change jumping three teeth, 25-28. I suppose there's only one way to find out and that's give it a try.
I think I'll put the the Sram on the Ventoux and if I'm happy swap on to the Obies.
Cheers

kgt

by kgt

The 28 cog is for difficult climbs only so the 25-28 jump should not bother you.

KCookie

by KCookie

Hey kgt, I was in the 28 for a while today and really took notice of the gears changing, all was good so i think the Sram will be ok.
Well the wheels arrived today, unfortunately i have to now remove the glue as i use tape.
Any advice on how to remove it. I can get Mariposa remover or is it a hair dryer and scraping it off job. Once thats done ive got some Veloflex Carbons to mount, so now just waiting on the cassette.
Should hopefully loose a few more grams once the glues removed.:)ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

sungod

by sungod

tape? eww

best remover i've found is the schwalbe one, i use it on my obermayers, works very well, easiest method i found, someone else posted here about using the mariposa one but it sounded like it took a lot longer

KCookie

by KCookie

Tapes easy. Lol.
Yeah colnago rates the schwalbe remover but i haven't found any for sale yet.

sungod

by sungod

KCookie wrote:Tapes easy. Lol.

i've seen posts where people say citrus degreaser works, might be worth a try, even if it's not effective you can still use it for cleaning other stuff

KCookie

by KCookie

kgt wrote:Weight of the front wheel?
Yeah sorry, i posted the rear wheel twice.
Here you go kgt.

KCookie

by KCookie

sungod wrote:
KCookie wrote:Tapes easy. Lol.

i've seen posts where people say citrus degreaser works, might be worth a try, even if it's not effective you can still use it for cleaning other stuff

Ok cheers, I'll see were sells that.
I have found two company's selling the Schwalbe remover but one, the delivery will be two weeks, the other is in Australia but not taking any orders until October 6th, must be having a long holiday.
I can get the Mariposa delivered in three days, so I might give that a go along with the hair dryer.

KCookie

by KCookie

Well i tried the hair dryer and gave up after i removed 1" in 10 mins, went and bought citrus degreaser and managed to clean 4" in 40 mins so gave that up and ordered Schwalbe glue remover. After paying more on p&p than the product itself it should be here in about a week.
Lets see how that goes. Feeling confident as calnago recommends it.

tonytourist

by tonytourist

Or you could just use glue instead of tape?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com