Stan's sealant in tubes for puncture sealing?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

WinterRider

by WinterRider

Anyone tried this ... giving tubes a shot of Stan's or similar for puncture sealing? Long term the drying issues.. but don't all sealant's do same (?). How much to use 700c w 28's?

My batch of Continental tubes have removeable stems. For sister's bike.
Litespeed 2000 Appalachian 61 cm
Litespeed 1998 Blue Ridge 61cm

Fitness rider.. 1 yr from seven decades age.

That is my story and I'm stick'n to it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

Use it only when you get a puncture, unless you are racing those wheels and hope you don't get slowed down with minor punctures. Maybe 20ml? I don't use a lot, but can't remember much since it has been more than a year since I last had to use it ha.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

dtwolfen

by dtwolfen

I've found stans in tubes does not work as well as a chunkier sealant, I use slime that I put in a tube with a hole in already then patch it up. The patch usually fails but it takes about a year. Don't need much but I don't know how much is enough.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

ms6073

by ms6073

For latex tubes and tubulars with latex tubes, I have reasonably good luck with Effetto Mariposa's Caffélatex and Orange Seal has been hit or miss with butyl tubes, but keep in mind that over time, the sealant can solidify.. Regardless of the tube, be careful as it only takes a little bit to clog a valve stem with removable cores making inflation a challenge.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

AJS914

by AJS914

Does Slime not dry out? Maybe it would be better for the sister's bike? Or, just get her some Mr. Tuffys or some Gatorskin tires. Or, all three! She'll never get a flat.

WinterRider

by WinterRider

AJS914 wrote:Does Slime not dry out? Maybe it would be better for the sister's bike? Or, just get her some Mr. Tuffys or some Gatorskin tires. Or, all three! She'll never get a flat.

She's... going to the WW side.. wants more speed.. LOL.

The green slime via wallyworld in my one experience trying it is garbage. Consistency was poor.. lumpy and I did not think flowed well enough. Could be wrong.

Think we'll fly sans anything. Tuffy's too heavy........ slow her down. :unbelievable:
Litespeed 2000 Appalachian 61 cm
Litespeed 1998 Blue Ridge 61cm

Fitness rider.. 1 yr from seven decades age.

That is my story and I'm stick'n to it.

sussexhills

by sussexhills

Stans works alright in tubes, I generally find it doesn't last that long before a huge sealant monster forms, must be do to with the dusty butyl inners or something. Therefore works better to just keep a small bottle in jersey pocket and put in if required (or go tubeless).

ms6073

by ms6073

Stans contains ammonia which for tubeless applications, can be detrimental to alloy spoke nipples, but probably not as much of a factor when injected into Butyl inner tube.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com