Pirelli Pzero family tire discussion thread.

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
alex1987

by alex1987

Thanks a lot for your feedback @sirRob, much appreciated πŸ‘

Those 28s look a great fit on the rims. I seem to recall the latest P Zero range was designed to work on 19mm internal rims, mine are 18 so should be a fairly good fit.

Definitely don't expect a non-cotton tyre to feel anywhere as supple as the Veloflex (or Vittoria Corsa Control I had before), but can trade off some of that suppleness for good puncture protection, so it's nice to hear puncture protection is a point you value in the P Zero Race. Would you say they perform any different to the GP5000 and Pro Ones on that front?

sirRob

by sirRob

hartmannce wrote: ↑
Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:48 am
sirRob wrote: ↑
Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:43 am
I am in the same boat with exactly same thoughts. I used to go with veloflex corsas but I do not fully trust them after some punctures and small cuts and stones in the tread especially after every ride in the wet. I already ran Schwalbe pro ones and GP5000 (always with latex tube and both in 25C to match my rim). None of them felt as supple as the veloflex but not bad also. In the end I like the pzero race most because it matches my wheels best in 28C and has therefore the widest center tread which gives me most confidence in regards to sidewall punctures and cornering.

+ weight
+ wide tread (in 28C)
+ puncture resistance
+ very good grip
+ supple ride with latex tube
Can you share the internal/external width of your wheelset?
21,8mm internal width and external 28,9mm-30,3mm. The pzero race 28C came out at 28,7mm@5,3bar on these rims. So slightly violating the 105% rule but still okay for me on my 37mm deep climbing wheels where aero does not matter too much anyway.
alex1987 wrote: ↑
Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:15 pm
Thanks a lot for your feedback @sirRob, much appreciated πŸ‘

Those 28s look a great fit on the rims. I seem to recall the latest P Zero range was designed to work on 19mm internal rims, mine are 18 so should be a fairly good fit.

Definitely don't expect a non-cotton tyre to feel anywhere as supple as the Veloflex (or Vittoria Corsa Control I had before), but can trade off some of that suppleness for good puncture protection, so it's nice to hear puncture protection is a point you value in the P Zero Race. Would you say they perform any different to the GP5000 and Pro Ones on that front?
I did not have punctures with any of these tyres (pro ones retired after 4500km, gp5000 sold after ~300km, pzero has currently 780km on it) and felt safe with all of them but I would assume the gp5000 25C sidewalls would puncture more likely due to the narrow center tread.
Attachments
pzeroRace_measured.JPG
Last edited by sirRob on Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:59 pm, edited 4 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

hartmannce

by hartmannce

Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:48 pm
hartmannce wrote: ↑
Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:48 am
Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:43 am
I am in the same boat with exactly same thoughts. I used to go with veloflex corsas but I do not fully trust them after some punctures and small cuts and stones in the tread especially after every ride in the wet. I already ran Schwalbe pro ones and GP5000 (always with latex tube and both in 25C to match my rim). None of them felt as supple as the veloflex but not bad also. In the end I like the pzero race most because it matches my wheels best in 28C and has therefore the widest center tread which gives me most confidence in regards to sidewall punctures and cornering.

+ weight
+ wide tread (in 28C)
+ puncture resistance
+ very good grip
+ supple ride with latex tube
Can you share the internal/external width of your wheelset?
21,8mm internal width and external 28,9mm-30,3mm. The pzero race 28C came out at 28,7mm@5,3bar on these rims. So slightly violating the 105% rule but still okay for me on my 37mm deep climbing wheels where aero does not matter too much anyway.
Thank you.

MagicShite

by MagicShite

Some small fine "crack lines" forming on the sides of my pirelli velos. Anyone knows if this is still safe for use? :? :? :? :?
Attachments
WhatsApp Image 2021-10-24 at 20.04.06.jpeg

Nickldn

by Nickldn

MagicShite wrote: ↑
Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:26 am
Some small fine "crack lines" forming on the sides of my pirelli velos. Anyone knows if this is still safe for use? :? :? :? :?
Wow those sidewalls go up a long way and the tread starts very high up in the middle. Is that normal for the Pzero? :o
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

SL8 build with Craft CS5060 Wheels in progress

MagicShite

by MagicShite

Nickldn wrote: ↑
Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:08 pm
Wow those sidewalls go up a long way and the tread starts very high up in the middle. Is that normal for the Pzero? :o
Normal for the old velos, the new race has wider tread width. Also I am using a 23mm int width wheelset probably why it's more exaggerated.

Nickldn

by Nickldn

Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:46 pm
Normal for the old velos, the new race has wider tread width. Also I am using a 23mm int width wheelset probably why it's more exaggerated.
How wide are the tyres, 25mm?
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

MagicShite

by MagicShite

Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:28 pm
Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:46 pm
How wide are the tyres, 25mm?
those are 25mms

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Tread width was the reason I stopped using Pzero velo.
And then I can resume with Pzero Race which make tread wider and casing narrower. The Velo generation clearly target narrow rims, like 13-17mm for 25c. The Pzero Race seems to design for 19-23mm internal.

MagicShite

by MagicShite

:( yeesh, can someone please advise if these are still usable? I only have 1200kms on them...

MagicShite

by MagicShite

Hexsense wrote: ↑
Fri Oct 29, 2021 3:04 am
And then I can resume with Pzero Race which make tread wider and casing narrower. The Velo generation clearly target narrow rims, like 13-17mm for 25c. The Pzero Race seems to design for 19-23mm internal.
Yeah, I've been enjoying wide tread widths and they are really nice. The Velos are insanely nice on flat/straight but cornering is just poor on these when mounted on wide internal width rims.

I've been very aware of this issue due to your posts on treadwidths.

Nickldn

by Nickldn

Fri Oct 29, 2021 3:14 am
Yeah, I've been enjoying wide tread widths and they are really nice. The Velos are insanely nice on flat/straight but cornering is just poor on these when mounted on wide internal width rims.

Quite frankly I'm astonished you've remained upright after 1200km with these tyres on 23mm internal width wheels. I would give myself 1.2km before crashing.

MagicShite

by MagicShite

Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:04 am
Fri Oct 29, 2021 3:14 am

Quite frankly I'm astonished you've remained upright after 1200km with these tyres on 23mm internal width wheels. I would give myself 1.2km before crashing.
No races around due to covid, so not taking any corners hard. My 23mm int widths are currently on Corsa 2.0.

tjvirden

by tjvirden

Fri Oct 29, 2021 3:13 am
:( yeesh, can someone please advise if these are still usable? I only have 1200kms on them...
I think they're fine - I assume you're referring to the "cracks" parallel to the brake track( here the chafe strip ends). These usually pull away a little; as long as it's only a little then they're fine to use.

MagicShite

by MagicShite

tjvirden wrote: ↑
Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:18 pm
Fri Oct 29, 2021 3:13 am
I think they're fine - I assume you're referring to the "cracks" parallel to the brake track( here the chafe strip ends). These usually pull away a little; as long as it's only a little then they're fine to use.
yeah the fine lines that present itself as a light tear. It's all around the tire though so it's not just a localized spot. It's like a tear more than anything else.

Why would they tear at the first place? I've never seen this kind of wear before.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com