Pirelli Pzero family tire discussion thread.

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
otnemem

by otnemem

kevinw wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:07 pm
https://www.aero-coach.co.uk/time-trial ... tance-data

Not too shabby for the PZeros - surprised by how poorly the Vittoria Corsa tested though.
So, between these and BRR's data, why go with these instead of the GP5000?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Hexsense

by Hexsense

You don't,
if you only care about rolling resistance and puncture resistance. Ignoring grip, and road feel which isn't tested in BRR and Aerocoach.
Actually, the new clincher Pirelli Pzero Race wasn't tested by either BRR or Aerocoach yet.

Based on voting scores of BRR, Pirelli Pzero Race 26c clincher may get tested by BRR in August. It likely isn't winning in June, so it won't be tested in July. But it's cumulative score is high enough to win in July to be tested in August.
https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.co ... /dashboard

nikospeed

by nikospeed

Just back from my 1st 40km ride on the 26mm non-TLR Race.
Mounted on 16C Corima 47WS MCC wheels. Comparison is with the P Zero Race TLR SL on my other bike (same rims, Corima WE47 Black, run with same Vittoria latex inner tube) that I used the day before yesterday on almost the same track.

- mounting: you can basically throw the tires at the wheels, never had tires that went on the rims so easily
- pressure: PLEASE disregard Pirelli's recommendations (@Hexsense is absolutely right here). I run them at exactly the same pressure as the TLR SL (6.2/6.5 bar at 74kg rider weight) which works just fine.
- RR: these tires roll fast! At least on par with the TLR SL (and with that probably just a little slower than a Spesh TC). Really curious what results BRR and/or Aerocoach will get.
- feel: rides quite similarly to the TLR SL (same compund after all) but feels more nimble (possibly due to lower weight?). Good feedback and cornering grip. I deliberately rode across some "flat cobblestone" (those zigzag cobbles the use for bike lanes) sections as well as good and also patchy tarmac. Ride quality is pretty good but not on par with any cotton casing tire (my comparison is the TC and Wolfpack Race Cotton). Might improve a little, I found out the TLR SL needed some 150kms to become more supple.

Looking foward to crossing the Alps on those tires end June :-)

sirRob

by sirRob

I got a set ar375 (lightweight version-carbon ti hubs) with 21,8mm internal width and external 28,9mm-30,3mm. It is my wheelset for the mountains so the 105% rule is not the most important for me. After testing veloflex corsas 28C and gp5000 25C I switched now to pzero race 28C and it is just perfect. They came in at 28,7mm@5,3bar after some miles on them which slightly violates the 105% rule but still no balloon effect at all. Nice wide thread and very supple ride with latex tubes and lots of confidence in corners.
Last edited by sirRob on Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bilwit

by bilwit

anyone try their tubulars (the normal P Zero Velo ones)? some places claim 205g but it seems Pirelli have updated their specs to 310g which is a huge delta... I love the classic tan base tape Conti Pro Ltd style look but the weight would be hard to justify over Veloflex

spartan

by spartan

BRR was not impressed with the grip / thickness / rolling resistance.

i will keep on rolling on SPEC KING COTTON quickstep/bora proven at the tour.

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.co ... -zero-race
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

oeympe

by oeympe

Such a shame, I have got so much expectations for this clincher... I will stay on the combo GP 5000 25mm + DT Swiss ARC 1100 Dicut DB 48 for the moment.

Jackofallgrades

by Jackofallgrades

Also disappointed by those results, was a big fan of the P Zero Velo as an all rounder, sounds like they've barely improved it at all. Does anybody have real world comparison between the two?
Cannondale SSEvo3 'Atticus' - 7.2kg
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=161634

Cannondale Systemsix ’Dante’ - 7.7kg
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=167144

warthog101

by warthog101

Interested in going the p-zero velo race tlr
Seem like a good rr, weight and puncture resistance
https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.co ... o-race-tlr

Very happy with my gp5000tl, but I'll give them a run also.

djel

by djel

warthog101 wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 1:57 pm

I was also thinking of making the switch from my GP5K TL. I had 2 sidewall punctures on brand new tires within a month after 2 seasons (2 pairs) with no incidents.

I'm trying to find the Pirelli with tan walls but no one are stocking them at the moment...

warthog101

by warthog101

djel wrote:
warthog101 wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 1:57 pm

I was also thinking of making the switch from my GP5K TL. I had 2 sidewall punctures on brand new tires within a month after 2 seasons (2 pairs) with no incidents.

I'm trying to find the Pirelli with tan walls but no one are stocking them at the moment...
My GP5K have been excellent. No probs at all.

I thought the tan wall in the Pirelli were only for the tubed version (26 &28) not the TLR?

djel

by djel

warthog101 wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:01 pm
I thought the tan wall in the Pirelli were only for the tubed version (26 &28) not the TLR?
I think you are right...the TLR are available in black only.

alex1987

by alex1987

Seriously considering the P Zero Race as a bit of an all round tyre - looking for something that's pretty quick (without needing to be the outright fastest) while also being fairly robust and puncture resistant and supple. What's the consensus on toughness for those who have had them mounted for a while?

Looking like a bit of a toss up between these and the Michelin Power Road at the moment. GP5000 are clearly highly regarded but the fact even positive reviews highlight how hard the feedback is (aka harsh) pushes me away. Currently rolling on Veloflex Corsa which feels so lovely and supple, but a bit fragile for long rides through small (dirty/flinty) country lanes which I'm planing to do next week!

sirRob

by sirRob

alex1987 wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:47 am
Seriously considering the P Zero Race as a bit of an all round tyre - looking for something that's pretty quick (without needing to be the outright fastest) while also being fairly robust and puncture resistant and supple. What's the consensus on toughness for those who have had them mounted for a while?

Looking like a bit of a toss up between these and the Michelin Power Road at the moment. GP5000 are clearly highly regarded but the fact even positive reviews highlight how hard the feedback is (aka harsh) pushes me away. Currently rolling on Veloflex Corsa which feels so lovely and supple, but a bit fragile for long rides through small (dirty/flinty) country lanes which I'm planing to do next week!
I am in the same boat with exactly same thoughts. I used to go with veloflex corsas but I do not fully trust them after some punctures and small cuts and stones in the tread especially after every ride in the wet. I already ran Schwalbe pro ones and GP5000 (always with latex tube and both in 25C to match my rim). None of them felt as supple as the veloflex but not bad also. In the end I like the pzero race most because it matches my wheels best in 28C and has therefore the widest center tread which gives me most confidence in regards to sidewall punctures and cornering.

+ weight
+ wide tread (in 28C)
+ puncture resistance
+ very good grip
+ supple ride with latex tube
Attachments
pzeroRace.JPG

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

hartmannce

by hartmannce

sirRob wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:43 am
I am in the same boat with exactly same thoughts. I used to go with veloflex corsas but I do not fully trust them after some punctures and small cuts and stones in the tread especially after every ride in the wet. I already ran Schwalbe pro ones and GP5000 (always with latex tube and both in 25C to match my rim). None of them felt as supple as the veloflex but not bad also. In the end I like the pzero race most because it matches my wheels best in 28C and has therefore the widest center tread which gives me most confidence in regards to sidewall punctures and cornering.

+ weight
+ wide tread (in 28C)
+ puncture resistance
+ very good grip
+ supple ride with latex tube
Can you share the internal/external width of your wheelset?