Pirelli Pzero family tire discussion thread.

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
StanK

by StanK

From r2-bike com:

Technical specifications:

Tire Type: Folding tire
intended use : Road bike
Size (inches): 28 | 700x25C
Size (ETRTO): 25 - 622
Version: Aramid puncture protection fiber
Rubber compound: Pirelli SmartNET ™ silica
Carcass: 127 TPI
tubeless capable: no
Compatibility E-bike: no
Profile: FGD tread grooves
Air pressure: not specified
Recommended rim width: 13 - 17 mm
Maximum load: not specified
Color: black, silver logos

I don’t know from where they got that information, but I guess they didn't make it up.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Hexsense

by Hexsense

The old Pzero Velo were following the soon to be outdated ETRTO standard in their recommendation to avoid any legal issues. Back then, it was the only widely accepted standard exist to rely on. The old ETRTO standard really reccommend the rim that narrow.

The Pzero Race and Pzero Race SL follows the soon to be announced revised standard, in that new one, 23c is cool with rim up to 19mm ID, 25c up to 21mm etc. It's still a tiny bit conservative (as most standards are) but definitely not as ridiculously conservative as the old one. So, the tire rim combo width chart for Pzero Race is with wider rim. The Pzero Velo is with narrow rims.

Jackofallgrades

by Jackofallgrades

You may be right that it follows the previous set of standards, but I have a set of 25c mounted on 19mm rims, and they ballon ever so slightly, and come up to around 27mm after riding them a bit. I'd be very surprised therefore if they were designed to fit a 15c rim, as they should be much narrower mounted up in that case.
Cannondale SSEvo3 'Atticus' - 7.2kg
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=161634

Cannondale Systemsix ’Dante’ - 7.7kg
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=167144

StanK

by StanK

Hexsense wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:13 pm
The old Pzero Velo were following the soon to be outdated ETRTO standard in their recommendation to avoid any legal issues. Back then, it was the only widely accepted standard exist to rely on. The old ETRTO standard really reccommend the rim that narrow.... and so on 'till th end
Ok, I think i got it. They put 13-17mm just for sake of a ruling standard.
Of course you can put them on wider rims, as you probably can any tire in the last 20 years, but I still guess that old (2017) P Zero tire was at least developed for “traditional” rims as well as for wider rims.

So, personal choice, who wants to put which tyre on what rims. All legit, I would say.
I see that most people went for wider rims. That's ok. I just hope to find one or two who thinks that wasn't necessary for non-competitive riding.

StanK

by StanK

Jackofallgrades wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:58 pm
You may be right that it follows the previous set of standards, but I have a set of 25c mounted on 19mm rims, and they ballon ever so slightly, and come up to around 27mm after riding them a bit. I'd be very surprised therefore if they were designed to fit a 15c rim, as they should be much narrower mounted up in that case.
I must admit that this puzzle me. Maybe is just a language barrier, I don't know, but ...
You want to say that 25mm on 15c rims can actually measure 25mm ... and that is wrong, a problem, deviation?

Hexsense

by Hexsense

I think he mean the shape. He is talking about it bollooning up round.
Tire that have bolloon shape (narrow base, wide round top) were norm.
Then the newer combo change rim to a wider one, and at the same time reduce tire casing width to be narrower. The end result is the tire shape that is more stable for the same measured width (and have a little more air volume). Wider base, narrower top tire flop less in hard corner when use low tire pressure. It also happen to be more aero than bolloon shape too. If you have been on narrow rim+wide tire casing the whole time. You won't feel anything strange. It's just what's always been, til recently.

Example of tires that is not bollooning up:
viewtopic.php?f=113&t=152443&start=2070#p1622534
and
viewtopic.php?f=113&t=152443&start=2160#p1629754

Jackofallgrades

by Jackofallgrades

Yep, sorry my bad explanation muddled thingsc but Hex is right, I'm meaning they 'look' right on 19mm rims rather than stretched out as you would expect if they were designed for 15mm rims.
Cannondale SSEvo3 'Atticus' - 7.2kg
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=161634

Cannondale Systemsix ’Dante’ - 7.7kg
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=167144

gSporco

by gSporco

Hey All,

Anyone know if the the PZero Velo Tubetype "Tanwall" weighs more than the all black?

Thanks
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

Hexsense

by Hexsense

And now I know what tire I'd like to revisit after I wear out the current set of my GP5000 clincher.
Updated P-Zero clinchers: P-Zero Race and P-Zero Road.
https://bikerumor.com/2021/03/15/pirell ... w-casings/

PS. Is the wide rim compatibility worse than the TLR version? TLR 30mm support 23mm internal width rim but they don't mention it for clincher version.

nikospeed

by nikospeed

Cool! Curious how their RR compares to the TLR version...the Race could save some 30g per tire vs the TLR SL 😎

neeb

by neeb

Do I understand this correctly?
The new 19c-based P Zero Race now comes in 26, 28 & 30mm sizes, with the tires themselves being about 1-2mm wider than the original 23, 25 & 28s on their original 15c design rim.
So in place of what was previously labelled as a 23mm tyre (based on an assumed 15c rim), there is now tyre labelled as 26mm (assuming a 19c rim), that is 1-2 mm wider than the old 23mm?

I'm currently running 23mm pirelli velos on a 19c rim, and they measure about 25.4 mm. They are already really wide tyres for the stated 23mm. So if I ran 26mm pirelli race tyres (the narrowest available) they would measure about 27mm..?

That's wider than the stated 26mm measurement for 19c (I run them at 85 - 90 psi). It's also a bit too wide aerodynaically for the 26.5 external rim width...

The 23mm Velos are the perfect match for a 19c internal / 26.5 external rim. It would be a pity if it was no longer possible to get something like this size.

gSporco

by gSporco

For what its worth, my Pzero Velo non race running latex tubes on 19mm internal rims came out to 27.7mm Front and Rear
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

neeb

by neeb

gSporco wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:05 pm
For what its worth, my Pzero Velo non race running latex tubes on 19mm internal rims came out to 27.7mm Front and Rear
I guess that's the 25mm?

gSporco

by gSporco

Sorry, yes 25mm version of the Pzero velo
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Some measurement of the new Pirelli Pzero Race (clincher version)
Tire name : casing width : tread width
Pirelli Pzero Race 26c : 63.5mm : 27.5mm
Pirelli Pzero Race 28c : 65mm : 30mm

For reference,
Conti GP5000 25c : 66mm : 28.1mm
Conti GP5000 28c : 71mm : 31.2mm

Considering that the Pzero Race 28c has the casing width of Conti GP5000 25c.
Please consider size up when ordering these new gen tires.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com