Pirelli Pzero family tire discussion thread.

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Maddie

by Maddie

If unsure get a new tire. They are consumables anyway

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tjvirden

by tjvirden

MagicShite wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 4:44 am
tjvirden wrote:
Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:18 pm
MagicShite wrote:
Fri Oct 29, 2021 3:13 am
MagicShite wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:26 am
Some small fine "crack lines" forming on the sides of my pirelli velos. Anyone knows if this is still safe for use? :? :? :? :?
:( yeesh, can someone please advise if these are still usable? I only have 1200kms on them...
I think they're fine - I assume you're referring to the "cracks" parallel to the brake track( here the chafe strip ends). These usually pull away a little; as long as it's only a little then they're fine to use.
yeah the fine lines that present itself as a light tear. It's all around the tire though so it's not just a localized spot. It's like a tear more than anything else.

Why would they tear at the first place? I've never seen this kind of wear before.
It's because the extra material thickness (chafe strip) changes the stress on the rubber at the point where it ends; there's quite a bit of movement in the tire casing there from normal riding. I have found it to be inconsistent across brands, but in my experience this happens with Continental tires much sooner than Michelin. I'm not really sure why.

mirko85

by mirko85

Hello, I searched on this topic, but I didn't find anything about the "old" tubular Pirelli Velo Race Tub.
This one https://www.pirelli.com/tyres/en-ww/bik ... o-velo-tub
I'm using them, the 28mm size, but I've a strange feeling. In the past I used for racing both Vittoria Corsa Graphene 25mm and Continental Competition 25mm and for everyday ride/training Continental GP5000 tubeless. Always, when I shifted from tubeless to Continental Competition tubular, I went faster. I mean in the whole ride, so included climbs, flats and descends. Now with the Pirelli tubular I don't have this result. They are really grippy, both on the corners and when I brake. I use disc brake. But, they seem to not roll very well. The rolling resistance seem to be high, but it's impossible to check without instruments. On the Internet I didn't find any test about it, so I'd like to ask you if you'd tried them and have any feedback? Thank you

ToileySiphon

by ToileySiphon

Hexsense wrote:on a huge 23mm internal width rim (30mm outside):
Pirelli Pzero Velo 25c -> 29.8mm
Pirelli Pzero Velo 28c -> 30.89mm

The 28c is noticeably taller, as expected though.
Does the 25c looks sketchy on the 23mm ID rim? I was thinking of this combo

Envoyé de mon SM-G973W en utilisant Tapatalk

SandwichNP

by SandwichNP

Hi folks, I'm trying to get some clarity here. I'm looking for new tires for my 3T strada and would love to go pirelli. I have compatibility for 30mm wide tires and a maximum of 344mm radius. I'm having trouble finding the most accurate "RAM" measurements for P zero velo race tires. I see P zero race 30mm as 344mm:

The TLR version appears to go up by 1.5mm:

Are these accurate? I cannot find any info on the pirelli website for RAM or WAM. I would love to go tubeless but I can't risk the bump up in radius in terms of clearance.

PoorCyclist

by PoorCyclist

Yes those are pretty accurate. Wider tire will ride taller. I can't risk using bigger than 24mm because the seattube curve is already very close to the tire.

it's not 1.5mm, it's 15mm, divided by two that's over 1/4 inch closer to the seat tube.

SandwichNP

by SandwichNP

PoorCyclist wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 8:19 pm
Yes those are pretty accurate. Wider tire will ride taller. I can't risk using bigger than 24mm because the seattube curve is already very close to the tire.

it's not 1.5mm, it's 15mm, divided by two that's over 1/4 inch closer to the seat tube.
691/2=345.5. My max (based on a comment by the bike builder) is 344mm. I guess I'm just surprised that the same tire from the same manufacturer in the same size is taller in the tubeless format compared to clincher, especially when the rest of the sizes seem similar or identical.

The 30mm clincher non-tubeless matches the specs perfectly, and could be the ticket I guess.

PoorCyclist

by PoorCyclist

I believe if you mount them on wider rim, it should be decreased some amount in overall diameter, the pressure on their chart also gives a rock hard ride that is not practical. If you have a gravel type rim it might work.