Pirelli Pzero family tire discussion thread.

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Hexsense

by Hexsense

aejt wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 9:16 am
I hadn't read about them before, but the Pirelli Pzero Race tyres look super interesting for someone who wants decent rr but also cares about puncture protection.

When reading around I found that you posted regarding the new Pirello PZero Race tires in another thread. Have you tried the 28s yet? If so, what width did they measure up to on your rims?

I'm considering the 30mm TLR version of them for my WR50s, if they add at least 2.5mm to both casing and tread width from the 28mm versions (like the 26->28 jump does) they should probably work quite well for i25 (32 external) rims, or what do you think? They only seem to state that they support up to i23 though, but that sounds slightly conservative doesn't it?
Pirelli Pzero Race 26c on 23mm ID rim-> 27.5mm wide
Pirelli Pzero Race 28c on 23mm ID rim-> 28.6mm wide (1.1mm wider mounted but tread width is 2.5 wider than 26c version)
Pirelli Pzero Race 28c on 25mm ID rim-> 29.4mm wide
measured at 70psi when tires are almost new (<40mi ride).

I don't have a definitive conclusion about this tire yet as my first ride were over pressured (70psi front and 75psi rear -- 4-7psi over what I used to) which make it feel off from what I used to when cornering. And some other rides was too windy or wet to tell about handling in normal condition.
But I think it roll smooth and fast without feeling fast. Unlike GP5000 that really feel fast via some noise and vibration, this tire seem to dampen road feel more. And I only notice that I'm not actually going slow by looking at reported speed from bike computer. As for the cornering. Well, I'm weird, my sense is now tuned for semi-squared off GP5000 too much that an actual round profile tire feel strange. I put GP5000 back on for now. Will test Pzero Race further when rain chance and wind speed go down and I can really feel how the tire behave out of harsh condition.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

aejt

by aejt

Hexsense wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 8:22 pm
Pirelli Pzero Race 26c on 23mm ID rim-> 27.5mm wide
Pirelli Pzero Race 28c on 23mm ID rim-> 28.6mm wide (1.1mm wider mounted but tread width is 2.5 wider than 26c version)
Pirelli Pzero Race 28c on 25mm ID rim-> 29.4mm wide
measured at 70psi when tires are almost new (<40mi ride).

I don't have a definitive conclusion about this tire yet as my first ride were over pressured (70psi front and 75psi rear -- 4-7psi over what I used to) which make it feel off from what I used to when cornering. And some other rides was too windy or wet to tell about handling in normal condition.
But I think it roll smooth and fast without feeling fast. Unlike GP5000 that really feel fast via some noise and vibration, this tire seem to dampen road feel more. And I only notice that I'm not actually going slow by looking at reported speed from bike computer. As for the cornering. Well, I'm weird, my sense is now tuned for semi-squared off GP5000 too much that an actual round profile tire feel strange. I put GP5000 back on for now. Will test Pzero Race further when rain chance and wind speed go down and I can really feel how the tire behave out of harsh condition.
Thanks! Sounds like the 28s are (unsurprisingly given the casing width) a bit narrow for 25mm ID rims then.

So you'd say they seem to have a more standard round profile than GP5000s on wide rims? I think I might give the 30s a try then when I get my WR50s, even though 25 ID rims aren't listed as officially supported. I don't think I'd mind not feeling or hearing the ground since I'm not coming from GP5000s anyways, and I value sidewall puncture protection quite high!

I'll try to remember to report back if I end up going that route, but there's likely still a few months of waiting until I have the new wheels.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Personally, 28 fit the WR65 (25ID) fine for me.
If you concern then 28 front and 30 rear might work great.

Pirelli is another tire following Goodyear I tested earlier that it mount a bit wider than casing width suggest. Casing width suggest 28c Pirelli to measure like GP5000 25c. But it is a bit wider than that for some reason which I don't have any good explanation for.
GP5000 squared off a little bit more than many other tires when worn making a profile that many people don't like. But now I'm used to it. :noidea:

If you worry about having wide center tread. Really consider Vittoria Corsa Control (28). That thing has really wide center tread.

hartmannce

by hartmannce

Does someone have an opinion on PZero TLR in terms of general longevity and puncture protection?
I`m running GP5000TLs now, and recently had a nasty sidewall cut (which upon googling is a GPs problem), so I`m researching options for the future, and PZero TLRs seem to be a good choice, especially because of the center thread.

neeb

by neeb

Anyone know when the recently announced PZero Tubular SLs will be available..?

Quite excited about those (and really wish that Pirelli and others wouldn't use the acronymn TLR for tubeless when it would be more appropriate for this new offering!).

nikospeed

by nikospeed

Potentially stupid question...
I have used the TLR SL tires in 26mm on 2 bikes. Had to replace the SL on one bike (see other thread) and as the SL was not available, I opted for the new (non-TLR) Zero Race 26.
Tires arrived on Saturday, were easy to mount but when I checked Pirelli's pressure recommendations I was a bit confused...they recommend approx. 1.5bar higher pressure for the non-TLR vs the TLR. I (73kg + 6.5kg bike) used to run the TLR SL with latex tubes at 6.0-6.2 bar front, 6.5-6.7 bar rear (16C). Speed/comfort/grip perfect! When I follow Pirelli's recommendations I would run some 7.5 bar with the Zero Race??? Sounds way too much IMO (I ran 6.2 - 7 bar (race) with 26mm Spesh TC and Wolfpack just fine...).
Any experience out there regarding pressure for this tire?

cheers
niko

Hexsense

by Hexsense

I ignore it.
They assume that you absolutely don't want to risk any pinch flat chance when using tube.

I just run appropriate pressure as if it is a tubeless.
In my case, somewhere between 60-70psi.

bilwit

by bilwit

neeb wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 12:29 pm
Anyone know when the recently announced PZero Tubular SLs will be available..?

Quite excited about those (and really wish that Pirelli and others wouldn't use the acronymn TLR for tubeless when it would be more appropriate for this new offering!).
I think technically it's "released" but now it's up to whenever retailers get stock from distribution, so you'll have to contact your LBS or whatever Pirelli dealer but they might not even have an exact date.

Super disappointed that they painted over the tan base tape and it only comes in 26mm btw :x weight looks good but a now it's a bit too wide for 25mm rims and lost it's distinctly-tubular look

3phase

by 3phase

I placed an order for the PZero Color Edition TLRs in size 26. They come in Red and Yellow. Chose the red and they'll replace a set of GP5Ks which needs to be retired after about 4K kms with zero flats or issues. Hoping they perform good.

disq

by disq

Pirelli P-Zero Race TLR Road Tyre Black 700c 28mm in 21mm ID (Farsports Feder, 28mm OD) rim: 28.66 to 29mm measured at ~80psi

aejt

by aejt

Hexsense wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:06 am
Some measurement of the new Pirelli Pzero Race (clincher version)
Tire name : casing width : tread width
Pirelli Pzero Race 26c : 63.5mm : 27.5mm
Pirelli Pzero Race 28c : 65mm : 30mm

For reference,
Conti GP5000 25c : 66mm : 28.1mm
Conti GP5000 28c : 71mm : 31.2mm
By clincher version, did you mean the new non-TLR one?

Adding to this, I ordered and just received the Pirelli P Zero Race TLR tyre in 30c, and the tread measures only 30mm when laid flat on a table, and 32mm if not forced to lay completely flat.

I guess the TLR version is likely a bit different when it comes to casing width, but I'm not sure how exactly to measure it. I assume it is including the beads? If so, it measures 72mm when laid flat on a table.

72mm : 30mm seems like a quite narrow tread for a 30mm tire, doesn't it? I wonder if I should buy the 28mm TLR version to measure it or if it'll be the same and it's only the new non-tubeless version that has a wider tread? Though maybe that's okay, given that the sidewalls seem very puncture resistant on them.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Yes, non TLR.
Casing width measure include beads. I don't know if the thicker TLR bead may inflate this number a bit or not. But it is also not making sense to exclude it because taller bead also contribute to tire height.
Your tire seems to size similar to GP5000 28c. Tread doesn't seem to grow as much larger as I think.
Based on your number --if we assume TLR and clincher share the same tread, I (complete and utterely baselessly) guess that 24mm and 26mm version may share the same tread on different casing. Then 28 and 30 share the same tread on different casing width again?

Anyway, you decide if 44.4% tread coverage is enough for your use case. Compare that to other tire's tread casing ratio at:
https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.co ... ke-reviews

aejt

by aejt

Yeah, I think I'll just take the chance and try them out, they won't last forever anyways. I was hoping the tread would be wider than GP5000s since I'd like them to be usable on shorter light gravel paths every now and then, but it doesn't feel impossible that they could be able to handle that considering they're almost topping the sidewall puncture resistence list on BRR.

Thanks for the help! :)

nunokas

by nunokas

P zero tlr 30c on 23mm internal rims

deduplicate list online

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Aesch

by Aesch

P zero race NON tlr measure:

25mm tyre on 21 internal = 27.5mm @ 7 bar (brand new).

I ride @ 5.5bar where it measure 27.1mm.