weight limit for carbon wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

apricotwalnut

by apricotwalnut

hello,
i'm a heavy rider, nearly 85kg now.
however i'm going to buy new Bora one 35 clincher wheels to replace current Fulcrum Racing Zero nite.
by the way, there is weight limit as below

• If you weigh 82 kg/180 lbs or more, you must be especially vigilant and have your bicycle inspected more frequently (than someone weighing less than 82 kg/180 lbs). Check with your mechanic to discuss whether the wheels you selected are suitable for your use, and to determine the frequency of inspections.

i'd like to know how much above limitation affects on the wheels.
whether i hold buying bora one....

Marin

by Marin

The weight limit is 109kg according to the user manual. You'll be fine, 85kg is not very heavy for a rider.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

WinterRider

by WinterRider

apricotwalnut wrote:hello,
i'm a heavy rider, nearly 85kg now.
however i'm going to buy new Bora one 35 clincher wheels to replace current Fulcrum Racing Zero nite.
by the way, there is weight limit as below

• If you weigh 82 kg/180 lbs or more, you must be especially vigilant and have your bicycle inspected more frequently (than someone weighing less than 82 kg/180 lbs). Check with your mechanic to discuss whether the wheels you selected are suitable for your use, and to determine the frequency of inspections.

i'd like to know how much above limitation affects on the wheels.
whether i hold buying bora one....

Manufacturer is just in effect stating if you maine yourself their lawyers will lay the blame on you in any legal action... like you/your surviving family sueing them.

Take a 250 lb rider always cruising nice smooth roads at a moderate pace... almost never subjecting the set to hard impacts.. vs the 180's rider who pours the power into the bike & rides roads mostly fit for 4 wheel drive.. caution thrown to the wind. Which rider is harder on the wheel set?

'If you weigh 82 kg/180 lbs or more, you must be especially vigilant' ---> I'd be shopping elsewhere.
Litespeed 2000 Appalachian 61 cm
Litespeed 1998 Blue Ridge 61cm

Fitness rider.. 1 yr from seven decades age.

That is my story and I'm stick'n to it.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

The wheels can hold your weight fine. Problem is when you require the wheels to dissipate the brake heat energy of someone over 82kg going down steep descents.

82kg is no magic number. Quite funny they chose such a specific number.

You're probably all right with these wheels. Just gotta beware carbon has limitations when doing long descents.

/a

apricotwalnut

by apricotwalnut

thank you very much!
i should beware of braiking long descent :))

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

109kg is quite precise. Also i weight the same as the op and abuse my carbon wheels and ride them on roads fit for an mtb. Hey are fine. The campag wheels will be too. The deeper boras though are better go for them.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

The 82kg and 109kg are simply the results of converting the more round 180lbs and 240lbs. Not sure why they chose pounds over Kilograms as the base units to go with here, but that's what they did.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ