Lightweights for Colnago C60 disc

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

cycleboyco

by cycleboyco

Looking for some wheel advice for an upcoming Colnago C60 disc build.

This bike will be primarily for long weekend rides, as I have 2 other bikes for training/racing. I am used to wider internal width wheels (Roval 32CLX, Bontrager Aeolus 5, Enve 4.5), but this will be my only disc brake bike for now, so I could not use my other rim brake wheels with this build. I have experimented with tubeless, but am not totally sold.

My first choice was the new Enve 3.4 wheels with Chris King hubs-I've had many Enve builds and they have all been really solid wheels.

My shop carries Lightweights and what is drawing me in is the ability to get some very lightly used demo Meilenstein clincher discs at a good price, though still about $800 USD more than the Enves. My concerns on the Meilensteins are their very narrow internal width and handling with strong crosswinds, as I do a lot of climbing/descending at high altitude. My shop also has a set of the new Wegweisers, which are appealing because they are shallower and wider, but they would be at the same price as the Meilensteins and about 100 grams heavier. Being new, they are also somewhat of an unknown. Everything I have read makes me intrigued on the Lightweights' stiffness and "responsiveness," but I would be lying if I said the "bling" factor is not playing a part in my decision.

Am waiting on Shimano 9070 stuff for the build, so may have an opportunity to demo both wheelsets before deciding, but am looking for any thoughts you would care to share, both from Lightweight lovers and haters. Also open to other wheel suggestions-small chance I will go with a Campy disc build, in which case I would consider the Bora One 35.

Thanks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Imaking20

by Imaking20

I can't speak to discs but I've had 4.5 on CK hubs, 3.4 on DT240, and now Ventoux/Gipfelsturm. For sure, the latter is the snappiest but I'm not thrilled with the ride just yet. The 4.5s look great but were underwhelming in ride quality and spin up. 3.4s are the least underwhelming Enves I've owned. The spin up was almost as good as my Reynolds 46 as the ride was fine.

I guess if I have a recommendation, it's to take people's advice about the crosswind stability of Meilenstein and choose whichever looks best to you at a price you're comfortable with. Also, the thought of disc Lightweight makes me cringe.

cycleboyco

by cycleboyco

Thanks for the comments Imaking20-your Colnago 6.0 is beautiful and the thread was fun to go through.

Imaking20 wrote:Also, the thought of disc Lightweight makes me cringe.

Is this because of the contradiction of "Lightweight disc" or something about Lightweight's approach to disc?

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Thanks!

Yeah, it's more to do with the clash of tradition and new trend. If lightweight was going to get with the times, I'd prefer more wide wheels rather than discs!