Lightest Aero Clinchers with an ally braking surface?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

basenji29

by basenji29

Hi, Im looking for a new wheelset. It needs to be deepish - 40-55mm, have an aluminum braking surface and be a clincher.
I already have some zipps but id like to get some wheels for really wet crit races. So the ally surface is needed.

What options are out there?

So far we have found:

Mavic Cosmic Carbone SR - 1595g
Campagnolo Bullet Ultra 50 - 1590g
Giant P-SLR - 1575g

Do you know any that are lighter than Giants?

Thankyou for any help. Much appreciated
Last edited by basenji29 on Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rubik

by Rubik

Hed Jet 4 Blacks are 1630.

Honestly, this seems like such a specific and non-important thing for a wet crit, though...

How many wet crits do you do? Why concerned about aero AND braking? If you need the aero, you're not braking that much. If you need the braking, you're in the pack and aero isn't much a concern.

I would just get a ~1400 or so gram pair of al clinchers and go for it.

I did elite crit nats in a monsoon last year on 1580 gram H+ Son Archetypes and got 11th... Tires and braking are just so much more important than aero at that point.

If I had the means, I'd go with Jet 6 Blacks and not give a second thought to the 250 gram "penalty" in the context of crit racing.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

basenji29

by basenji29

I did a city centre crit recently and it was torrential rain throughout. The course was very hilly and slippery. There was a lot of hard braking down the hill into a 90 degree turn. I had to pretty much prime my zipps all the way down to have any brakes when I got to the corner. Im running Swissstop Black Prince too, so the pads aren't the issue. The races are still fast even in the rain 25+mph avg on a hilly course. So there's still aero gains to be had.

So I would like some ally surfaces just for these types of races and to use as training wheels in general. When in riding in the winter and the roads are wet and gritty I hate using my full carbons. Just excess wear for nothing.

I know its barely a weight penalty but this is weightweenies and we all love light wheels.

MoreRideTime

by MoreRideTime

Maybe the Campy Bullet 50 Ultra wheels? The claimed weight for the pair is 1590g.

basenji29

by basenji29

MoreRideTime wrote:Maybe the Campy Bullet 50 Ultra wheels? The claimed weight for the pair is 1590g.

Thanks, they look good, ill add them to the list.