Zipp 404s

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Kevinch76

by Kevinch76

Anyone here still continue to use Zipp 404s firecrest clinchers? Whats your take on it? Just had my first few rides with it and felt its a really awesome all rounder....thoughts?

JOrange

by JOrange

I sold mine (a 2015 model) a few months back for Enve 6.7's and haven't looked back.

That being said, I think they make a modern bike (especially aero ones) pop moreso than any other wheelset (those dimples) and they sound really great during acceleration efforts! Weighing 65ish kg however, I definitely felt the crosswinds and had to get off my bike a couple of times to walk down descents - big semi-trucks were also a cause for concern. Braking was O.K. in the dry, but after riding on so many wheelsets, anyone who tells you that it's as good as alloy is lying to you.

TLDR; look great, sound great, braking = meh, windy days for light folk = problem

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Shrike

by Shrike

Do the 6.7s really do better in crosswinds? 6.7s are deeper front and back. I thought that would have been more important than profile benefits. Would love a go on some ENVE's to find out though.

Personally, I've only logged a few hundred miles on the 404s. My time with them ended shortly after getting them. Rear axle seems to sieze to the bearings. Well, that's what local mechanics thought. Still no clue what the deal is, Zipp says it's rare, sent me a replacement. Maybe get it today.

From my time with them so far - yes when a backdraft catches them or a strong gust and you're bombing it down a descent, you better be in the drops and ready for it. That said, I'm heavier, 78kg right now, and I've gotten used to them. Hairy moments? Yes, several, but I take thing to extremes for the sake of it. Had them out in 40mph + gusts already. Good arm and shoulder workout that :shock:

Zipps are priced competitively now so.. for the money I think they're fantastic (if you ignore the hub issue I was hopefully just unlucky with). Really light and fast (though I have the tub version). The looks don't really match my bike (matte frame), but they will match a lot of modern gloss paint jobs and look really bling.

What's not to love. Shouldn't really be taking deep wheels in crazy winds any way :P As for braking, I only ride these in the dry so no clue how they perform in the wet. I got some Yellow King pads on there too which are great but bite occasionally.

Only thing I'd say is that if buying again, I'd get an 808 rear and 404 front.

JOrange

by JOrange

Shrike wrote:Do the 6.7s really do better in crosswinds? 6.7s are deeper front and back. I thought that would have been more important than profile benefits. Would love a go on some ENVE's to find out though.

Personally, I've only logged a few hundred miles on the 404s. My time with them ended shortly after getting them. Rear axle seems to sieze to the bearings. Well, that's what local mechanics thought. Still no clue what the deal is, Zipp says it's rare, sent me a replacement. Maybe get it today.

From my time with them so far - yes when a backdraft catches them or a strong gust and you're bombing it down a descent, you better be in the drops and ready for it. That said, I'm heavier, 78kg right now, and I've gotten used to them. Hairy moments? Yes, several, but I take thing to extremes for the sake of it. Had them out in 40mph + gusts already. Good arm and shoulder workout that :shock:

Zipps are priced competitively now so.. for the money I think they're fantastic (if you ignore the hub issue I was hopefully just unlucky with). Really light and fast (though I have the tub version). The looks don't really match my bike (matte frame), but they will match a lot of modern gloss paint jobs and look really bling.

What's not to love. Shouldn't really be taking deep wheels in crazy winds any way :P As for braking, I only ride these in the dry so no clue how they perform in the wet. I got some Yellow King pads on there too which are great but bite occasionally.

Only thing I'd say is that if buying again, I'd get an 808 rear and 404 front.

Hahaha yeah right! That's exactly what I thought when I first tried them, but I'm a believer now. There's some wizardry going on with Enve wheels (definitely try them out if you get the chance, I bought a used set for 1.3k, and it's easily my favorite wheelset - so much so that I sold my other carbon wheels, and now just have the 6.7's and bomb-proof Fulcrum Quattros).

I've owned deep section Reynolds, Zipp, HED, Easton etc. carbon wheels before, and while each had their pros & cons, I felt that the 6.7's edged them out in almost all categories. I still prefer the look of the 404's though :thumbup:

Torchy

by Torchy

I have them on my Aeroad and love them. Black on Black look amazing - no issues with hubs and they perform superbly once you wind them up over 20mph.

Decent value at the moment given that the NSW range has been released.

mbdurham17

by mbdurham17

I have about 1500 miles on a 2016 set on a SWorks Tarmac SL5. I like the looks, durability however they do not react very well to crosswinds. I have a SL6 Frame on order and may sway to 303's either fiercest or NSW

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

I've had my 404's since 2015. I've logged over 10k km on them. They're good wheels (albeit with the last generation of the 88/188 hubs). There's still a little flex in them, which can get annoying, but they're generally good wheels, and can take a beating. I'm about 100kg and other than having them retensioned and trued, once/year for safety sake, I've never had to do any other maintenance. I think the new hubs are better, and I would definitely stay away from models with drive-side radial lacing, which is inherently less stiff, and more prone to flexing.

Given my size, I am not as prone to cross-winds, but that being said, on a good descent in canyons, with wind whipping around, I have felt them get squirrely, but that may also be on account of my Madone, which also has a large cross-wind area.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ntb1001

by ntb1001

I have a set of 303 Firecrest clinchers. I have had zero problems with them, I had the hub replaced with recall, but it was ok.
Very nice wheels.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk