Winter is coming - what wheels are you gonna ride?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

MikeMoore

by MikeMoore

Multebear - I've been using an SP dynamo coupled to a B&M Cyo for the last 18 months - absolutely perfect for grab and go commuting. Thoroughly recommended!
Weight 74.4kg, FTP 303W => 4.04 W/kg

Retired Bikes
Custom 650B Kingdom Double9
Kinesis Aithein / Kinesis Racelight 4S

Current bikes
Reilly Spectre / Cervelo R3
Pivot Les / Pivot Mach4SL
Ventana El Conquistador

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

To the chap wo asked about life of carbon rims. The comparision is not so fiar as i use the carbon rims all year round but that means when a fair bit. I have one set with ove 16000km and there is some brake track wear but nothing significant. I have a new set of my own carbon wheels for summer and the part worn wheels shitty weather. I will use the alloy sets a fair bit too.

Multe bear is right about components. I wish i had the motivation to wash my bikes after every ride and i have paid for it with wrecked mechs last winter. I have a record 10 speed rd to try and resurect still.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ergott

by ergott

Multebear wrote:
ergott wrote:
Dyno for trouble free lighting.

Could you elaborate on that Dyno? Sounds very interesting.

A hub that generates power for lights etc. There's a lot of great information here.

http://peterwhitecycles.com/index.html

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

until it snows or there is ice i'll be on dura ace c-24's with michelin pro 4 endurance, once that happens i switch to my gravel bike which is 32 mm compass tires and mavic kyrsium disc. but what i learned last winter is that nothing helps you when the enemy is black ice.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

moyboy

by moyboy

Probably run 650b on the Open with some 45 / 50mm tires that is if i even get out.

jmagoulas

by jmagoulas

Zonda C17 clinchers. Bora 50 Ultra C17 tubs are my Summer time wheel. Keep it Italian.

bobones

by bobones

Multebear wrote:I'm considering building a set with Shimano 105 hubs, since they are very reasonable priced, have good durability, and a steel freehub body, that wont get gouged by cassettes. For rims I'm considering lower end Mavics. Open Pro or maybe something even cheaper. At least with a thick sidewalls for lots of braking with no issues. For spokes I'd just pick the cheapest ones, maybe DT Champion. That will be a wheelset at around 150 € or maybe even less.

I've had a couple of sets of winter wheels with 105 hubs and Ambrosio Evolution rims. They are nice enough but very heavy (>2000g). The first set were 32/36 5700 and the freehub failed on me in the middle of a ride. I built another set on silver 5800 32/32 hubs with black ACI spokes and they look lovely and have performed well. This year I've decided to give tubeless a go, and since the Ambrosios won't convert to tubeless (due to double eyelets) I built a set of 28/28 DT Swiss R460s on Novatec hubs that were on sale. I'm running these with Hutch Fusion 5 Performance tyres and I'm loving them so far. Weight is around 1690g and cost was less than £130 for spokes, hubs, rims, tape and valves. Before I decided to switch to tubeless I built a lovely set of Ambrosio Excellights on Ambrosio Endurance hubs (28H). These are also around 1690g and were intended for this winter, but they're now just sitting around unused in my garage so I might have to stick them on eBay.

vinc

by vinc

DT Swissair R23 Spline Disc

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

bilwit

by bilwit

Decided to put on Boyd Altamont Lite (ceramic-coated) on my steel bike and use it for bad weather/road this winter. After the first heavy-ish rain this season on 40mm chinese carbon, decided alloy was more sensible (descending in a downpour with traffic on cheap chinese carbon clinchers = no bueno, though I survived doing this all last winter). Weight should be around the same ballpark as the 40mm carbon and the shallow depth will also be nice when it gets windy. Since aero goes out the window anyway I'll be putting 25mm contis on them (I have 23mm on all my other wheels that are also 24mm wide). Their website touts that the coating is "super durable" and "will not wear off" but we'll see (doubt it). Might also give in and get a trainer eventually to spell the bike when the temperature goes bananas so that should help with the durability.

Multebear

by Multebear

bobones wrote:
with 105 hubs and Ambrosio Evolution rims.

They are nice enough but very heavy (>2000g).

The first set were 32/36 5700 and the freehub failed on me in the middle of a ride. I built another set on silver 5800 32/32 hubs with black ACI spokes and they look lovely and have performed well.

Are your 105 5800 hubs still running? How many km have they done so far? And did they need any servicing?

KCookie

by KCookie

Front wheel lightweight Meilenstein, no rear wheel as the bike will be hooked up to my Wahoo Kickr, sod riding in the rain, but to be honest there's not much crappy weather here in Adelaide.

bobones

by bobones

Multebear wrote:Are your 105 5800 hubs still running? How many km have they done so far? And did they need any servicing?

Yes, the 5800 hubs are still silky smooth and the only maintenance I've done in 2 years is to clean and regrease them. I think they're still on the original ball bearings. Because I keep swapping wheelsets around, I don't have a completely accurate mileage, but I think I've done around 10k km on them and one of the rims is quite close to the wear limit. For this type of hub (cup and cone), I'd recommend cleaning and regreasing at least once a year or sooner if you've ridden them through floods because the hub can be ruined pretty quickly if you allow corrosion to take hold.

Multebear

by Multebear

^thanks @bobones

ergott

by ergott

Dialed and ready for the season. I just moved the tube/tools to 3rd bottle cage mount under downtube. Looks great out of the way and lower CoG

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Multebear

by Multebear

^Nailed it ergott. Needs moar pics....