Winter is coming - what wheels are you gonna ride?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ergott

by ergott

Multebear wrote:^Nailed it ergott. Needs moar pics....

Thanks! I was able to really clean up the wires/housing this time.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Thats far too clean. Get it dirty.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TonyM

by TonyM

bm0p700f wrote:Thats far too clean. Get it dirty.

:thumbup: :mrgreen:

Actually a good pic for the "before and after" (or the reverse way)... :mrgreen:

Squashednuts

by Squashednuts

vinc wrote:DT Swiss R23 Spline Disc

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

+1
Just been through the rain & freezing temperatures of winter on a Pacific Island Paradise

The R23 were great

I can't help thinking having discs is cheating :noidea: :D
Building Spec Allez

Sold
Fuji SL 5.5kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=157704

Sold -
Izalco Max Disc 6.7kg http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... o+Max+disc

bilwit

by bilwit

bilwit wrote:Decided to put on Boyd Altamont Lite (ceramic-coated) on my steel bike and use it for bad weather/road this winter. After the first heavy-ish rain this season on 40mm chinese carbon, decided alloy was more sensible (descending in a downpour with traffic on cheap chinese carbon clinchers = no bueno, though I survived doing this all last winter). Weight should be around the same ballpark as the 40mm carbon and the shallow depth will also be nice when it gets windy. Since aero goes out the window anyway I'll be putting 25mm contis on them (I have 23mm on all my other wheels that are also 24mm wide). Their website touts that the coating is "super durable" and "will not wear off" but we'll see (doubt it). Might also give in and get a trainer eventually to spell the bike when the temperature goes bananas so that should help with the durability.

just a little update here: performance in the wet and wind is pretty superb with the Altamont Lites but not sure how long it will last since the ceramic coating is showing signs of wear on the back wheel just after 70km of Seattle rain..
Last edited by bilwit on Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

ceramic coating get cosmetic wear but the coating is not just surface deep. it penetrates into the aluminium so the braking performance should degrade done right.

bilwit

by bilwit

bm0p700f wrote:ceramic coating get cosmetic wear but the coating is not just surface deep. it penetrates into the aluminium so the braking performance should degrade done right.

Yeah I can live with it but it's just a little disappointing given the price/claims. Boyd actually reached out to me to see how I've been getting on with them and I told them about it and they offered to replace them under warranty which I didn't expect at all. Said they wouldn't have stock until December so I can ride the current ones until then. I appreciate the service but I don't really have high hopes for the replacements to be any different.

Other than the early wearing I've been very happy with them. Might be because I haven't ridden on shallow or aluminum hoops in ~2 years but the braking is great and the last time I took them out it was insane 30-40kmph head+cross wind preceding a downpour and handling the front wheel was no issue. I'm usually on 40mm or 45mm carbon and while they're manageable, it still can get a little sketchy for me at winds not even close to that.

TonyM

by TonyM

This winter I will be on 3T pro 35mm (disc version :thumbup: ) and I will try 28mm tires and decided if I go 25/25, 25/28 or 28/28.

Bigger Gear

by Bigger Gear

Ergott's winter setup is sublime, you could move out to the wet coast and fit right in!! I am in the queue with Breadwinner for a new B-Road and will have a very similar setup, and my winter wheels will be HED Belgium+ on CK R45 hubs. Having disc brakes on a winter bike really does simplify some issues with respect to rim wear.

For non-disc winter setups, it really comes down to how much rain and how much salt will there be in the area. I live in the Greater Vancouver area, like Tony M now does and here we get a lot of rain and if there are stretches of snow like last winter, a lot of salt. In fact the municipalities have kind of lost the plot on road salt the past few winters. I have seen the fools in the City of Surrey and Township of Langley spraying the road when the temps are below freezing and we are in Arctic air with humidity down around 25%. Guess what? There's no moisture to make frost or ice on the road at this combo! I have noticed with the increase in salt usage the past few years I have an increase in the destruction of components as well :(. Anyway without further digression, I have been riding rim-brake winter bikes in these conditions for the past 17 years and I have my own opinions on what setups work best:

1) Handbuilt wheels are better than package wheels (Eurus, Ksyrium etc) because one can easily replace a rim using the existing hub and spokes combo.
2) Choose a rim that is relatively low profile, because the deeper the wheel the more water it sucks up in the section and makes the heavy winter bike ride even slower than it already does in the dry.
3) Cup and cone hubs are generally the best. It's unfortunate that Campy only makes Record in 32f/32r and Shimano only has non-32/32 combos in Dura-Ace. I'd love to get some 24/28 Ultegra hubs for example. King R45 are nice hubs and fully serviceable but my experience is that they require a bit more maintenance than I initially thought they would riding in the winter. DT 240s are sealed pretty well and if one is careful with bike washing and not hitting them with high pressure (big no-no) then they will fare quite well.
4) Brass nipples. End of story. Even better, brass DT Pro-Lock or Sapim Secure Lock nipples because the coating will help fight the corrosion. Absolutely stay away from alloy nipples and if using regular brass nipples I think silver is better than black from a binding/corrosion standpoint.

gotgame

by gotgame

will go back to my stock aksium elite wheels :)
Colnago e1 gazzetta dello sport - sz52s / Pinarello gan RS ulterga di2 - sz52 / Caadx 2019 vulcano green sz54

jlok

by jlok

I will ride my only wheelset Roval CLX 32/50 Disc wheelset... all seasons.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

waltthizzney

by waltthizzney

EASTON EA70 WITH 28MM GP4000

Squashednuts

by Squashednuts

Wheelworks Maker AR
38mm front 50mm rear
Made in Wellington

Great combo...IMO

No problems in rain or frostImageImage

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Building Spec Allez

Sold

Sold -

Multebear

by Multebear

I think I need to clarify what this topic is about.

If you live somewhere sunny all year, there's really no need for you to pitch in. If the weather doesn't change to cold and wet during your winter, obviously you don't have to change wheels for the winter, and your contribution isn't really needed for this topic. This topic is about how to overcome the challenge of cold and wet weather with all the additional wear and tear the weather will expose you and your bike to.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Squashednuts

by Squashednuts

photo wasn't meant to be misleading ...
We're in the middle of spring which can bring some howling winds and downpours.
Winter can we reasonably wet with a good few frosts.
I don't change wheels or tyres as I feel safe on my set...discs help immensely
Building Spec Allez

Sold

Sold -