Enve Clincher Failure

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TurboKoo

by TurboKoo

TobinHatesYou wrote:4) Warranty. ENVE's 5-years is industry leading at the moment. I ride hard and I know if my wheels ever delam, I am covered. I also crash occasionally and ENVE has that covered too with half-price crash replacements.

Do you feel that user error (delamination) should/will be covered by warranty?
Cannondale SuperSix
Shimano 9270

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

TurboKoo wrote:
TobinHatesYou wrote:4) Warranty. ENVE's 5-years is industry leading at the moment. I ride hard and I know if my wheels ever delam, I am covered. I also crash occasionally and ENVE has that covered too with half-price crash replacements.

If you're referring to this particular case, we're talking about a huge gray area. I think we all know the guy needs to learn how to descend/brake because there's no way this sort of damage should occur to a rear wheel and not the front. On the other hand, how can ENVE prove the cyclist was using his rims outside of design parameters? My guess is ENVE will replace the rim if it is still within the warranty window.

And my earlier recommendations still apply. Going disc with sintered pads and 160mm rotors neutralizes this issue. At 190cm and 95kg, he's the posterchild for who should be on disc brakes. Hell I'm 178cm and 61kg and I use disc brakes.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

TurboKoo wrote:

it's very hard to tell either way...so it should be covered. I've only heard of older track delam... not the newer track.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

markyboy

by markyboy

Tour Mag Intl tested all the best wheels last year. Enve refused to send a pair for review. Rims that survived the alpine torture test campy ,zipp.
reynolds failed.

buy BORA's end of story

ENVE charge primo dollars for their inferior product

Well said i have had enve wheels and they were the most awful braking i have had,sold em way over priced.
Bora ultra for me all day long.
Colnago arabesque campagnolo super record 12
Colnago c64
Cinelli zydeco grx di2

kgt

by kgt

I also agree that a pair of Campagnolo or Corima or LWs would never had such issues but... c'mon, a heavy rider going downhill on carbon clinchers is not a great idea anyway.
IMHO we should trust our common sense more than any company's directions, claims, warranties or suggestions.

SL1

by SL1

duende wrote:Does Enve life w̶a̶r̶r̶a̶n̶t̶y̶ insurance cover this?

Fixed.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I have the Campy Bora 50's. Recently I climbed Pikes Peak and on the descent I gave the wheels a torture test. I had to drag both brakes on the way down due to very slow vehicle traffic. And at 14,114 feet or 4,300 meters there's not much air resistance to slow me down. So the potential energy I gained pretty much got dissipated as heat in the brakes. The climb is steep, running 8-10% for 3,000' below the top. At no point did I experience brake fade nor did the wheel suffered any heat-related damage. I got the Boras after my research pointed them as one of the best in resisting heat damage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fogman

by fogman

@pdlpsher1. Were your Bora 50's tubular or clincher? And 3Diamant or AC3 braking surface? Thanks.

It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

fogman wrote:@pdlpsher1. Were your Bora 50's tubular or clincher? And 3Diamant or AC3 braking surface? Thanks.

Clincher and 3Diamant.

ntb1001

by ntb1001

I understand thatvthe rider is a bit heavy...but this seems like the rim is defective.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

NGtim

by NGtim

I've heard of this happening on way too many Enve wheelsets. I'm definitely leaning towards Bora's now for this reason.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

NGtim wrote:I've heard of this happening on way too many Enve wheelsets. I'm definitely leaning towards Bora's now for this reason.

but any on the new track? that's what I wanna know.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

Duc1200

by Duc1200

Same failure on my rear 3.4 ses on descent down mont ventoux sept 2017
Enve replaced rim and spokes with new textured surface mk2

scottmmw

by scottmmw

My 4.5 (with smooth brake tract) rear is showing one similar patch as the pictures of delamination, and swelling, only done roughly 2k miles on them. Going to give a few weeks until the bike is put away for winter before removing the tub and contacting enve warranty, hopefully they can manage it through there system as i've lost my initial receipt.

Anyone who has had them replaced under warranty, did they replace just the rim in question or both as a good will to have a matching set?

fezi

by fezi

I sent both front and rear in when my front failed. They replaced both

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com