Enve Clincher Failure

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

scottmmw

by scottmmw

fezi wrote:I sent both front and rear in when my front failed. They replaced both

That would certainly suit, where did they get sent back to?

yinya

by yinya

Only front replaced for me, offered to replace the rear for $663 extra (summer 2016)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Belisarius

by Belisarius

alcatraz wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:32 am
Any chance that the wheels are not genuine?

Oddest thing is that it happened on the rear. Was only the right side of the rim deformed?

I just got chinese carbon clinchers (fairly new model) and after going down some 10-15% descents of 1-3km I would feel the rim and it never burns my hand. I guess I could be peaking at 100C the most for me to feel 60C after descending. (70kg riding weight)

Are these enve wheels older with less temperature resistant resin? Older carbon wheels were deforming at under 200C while modern enve/zipp's should be in the upper 200s.

In any case, very odd. I would inspect the brake pads. If this rider likes to ride the rear brake a lot then it should show up as significantly more wear on the rear pads.

/a
Just noticed it on my less than a month 1300 KM ENVE SES 4.5, I nearly missed a curb and I live and ride in FLAT OTTAWA VALLEY. 4,200$ Wheelset and they appear to be scraping the new braking surface. The word Garbage comes to mind, after riding the last 40,000 Kms Zipps and Dura Aces... No issues.
Attachments
IMG_0258.jpeg
IMG_0259.jpeg

kavitator

by kavitator

Why posting here and not contact manufacturer first?

This kind of brake track looks less contact aerea with brake pads- and how long brake pads hold?
If you get sand on brake track in wet weather this little thing go flat - or they are made from superstiffstrong cearmic material?

ergott

by ergott

Belisarius wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:59 am
Just noticed it on my less than a month 1300 KM ENVE SES 4.5, I nearly missed a curb and I live and ride in FLAT OTTAWA VALLEY. 4,200$ Wheelset and they appear to be scraping the new braking surface. The word Garbage comes to mind, after riding the last 40,000 Kms Zipps and Dura Aces... No issues.
What are we supposed to see in those pics? I don't see any delam there.

mattr

by mattr

All I can see is a handful of voids in the textured surface.

billendk

by billendk

Cant see any problem with them???

Belisarius

by Belisarius

billendk wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:21 pm

Indeed no issue- it was fused rubber that looked like delamination. The issue that did crop, however, is repeat CK 45 failure (rear) and front seizing. Despite clear day riding. In the end the 45 was factory defective, inner ring being too small for the hub shell and rackets... not engaging when freewheeling, and separating the two structures with dirt getting in. I lost 3 months ridings. 0 truing issues. 2-3 km/hr faster than Zipps due to stronger angular momentu, (stable) and gyro inertia. Presently, the only equal or maybe better wheelsest can only bem tubula wise, Bontrager Aeolus XXX.

tigradekat

by tigradekat

Belisarius wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:02 pm
billendk wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:21 pm

... 2-3 km/hr faster than Zipps due to stronger angular momentu, (stable) and gyro inertia.
Lol

romanmoser

by romanmoser

What's drugs are you on ?