FSE hubs manufacturer

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

LouisN

by LouisN

Anybody know what manufacturer builds hubs for FSE Wheels ?
The rear seems interesting at 185 g (published weight) .
I would be curious to see geometry too.

Louis :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LouisN

by LouisN

OK, found it ... :oops:

http://road.cc/content/blog/187520-far- ... els-update

meeeehhh... I'll pass.

Imaking20

by Imaking20

That review is over a year old. Have there not been changes to the rims or hubs in that time?

Also, what about those hubs doesn't sound appealing? I was feeling pretty gung-ho about Carbon Ti until learning of two separate instances of failed bearings in dry climates in the last couple days.

asiantrick

by asiantrick

I was a bit hesitant to pull the trigger on this wheelset, but since it seems like such a good deal I decided to purchase it anyway.

Let just said I was super impressed by the build quality. Hubs roll like butter but loud as f*ck. Rolls and carve corner (25mm wide) faster than my previous wheelset - Fulcrum Carbon Zero

Wheel stickers are removable and not underneath the coating

LouisN

by LouisN

Imaking20 wrote:That review is over a year old. Have there not been changes to the rims or hubs in that time?

Also, what about those hubs doesn't sound appealing? I was feeling pretty gung-ho about Carbon Ti until learning of two separate instances of failed bearings in dry climates in the last couple days.

The worst hubs I ever built in terms of bearing life and geometry were Bitex (or maybe Edhubs ??) UL190.
The SL210, okay-ish short term, better geometry, but not what I'm looking for in hubs.

For cheap reliable hubs I like the Novatec 291 and 482 combo. I built over 20 pairs and didn't have to true many wheels. Some of them have 8-9 yrs on the road. I have to change the rear bearings in two wheels now because I used them for CX and was a bit over invasive with the pressure washer last fall.

I rather save a few more $$ now and buy durable hubs.
I was hoping (dreaming ...) the FSE 185 would be close to the Tune mag 170 in terms of quality.
But there are very few good quality hubs ( and affordable by standard human beings ;) ) in that weight category...

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Thanks for the thoughtful response! :beerchug:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kavitator

by kavitator