the comfort of new tyres??

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Delorre

by Delorre

I've mounted a new set of Michelin Power Comps on my Addict yesterday, went for a ride and :shock: I was amazed by the quality of the ride compared to what it felt 2 days before, same wheels, same pressure, same innertyres, same.... The tyres had 5500 km on them (a little more than 3 months), and the rear was really square already. To be honest, the last few weeks, I had the impression that the ride qualities I attributed to those Michelin tyres were gone, the ride felt harsh (as it has always been with my GP4000s), even with a little less pressure than usual.

So guys, did you ever felt the same thing? Has it to do with the fact that the rear tyre was square, front tyre well worn also compared to a a perfectly round tyre when new? Is it the rubber that becomes less supple after some time / mileage? I really don't know, but I really enjoyed the ride yesterday. Currious if it will feel the same this evening.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Marin

by Marin

Reeeeeeeally hard to answer without a blind test. I have to admit I have never felt something simlilar, and I consider myself tuned to the differences between nylon and cotton casings.

mvnsnd

by mvnsnd

Actually, I have. I had run my rear Conti GP4K SII to squared off, and had a few cuts, so I decided to replace it. I immediately noticed a smoother, more comfortable ride. I have n idea why, other than perhaps contact patch changing. Pressures were the same.

Beaver

by Beaver

A new tire has more and softer rubber.

TheKaiser

by TheKaiser

Beaver wrote:A new tire has more and softer rubber.

Yes, I was thinking the same thing. More rubber could alter things either way, in terms of ride quality.

On the one hand, it will reinforce the casing itself, so an unworn tire would be slightly more resistant to flexing due to the extra tread cap rubber (this is separate from the fact that tires generally "soften up" as the have been ridden a bit, due to casing stretch, internal bonds, etc...). So the new tire seems like it would be harsher.

On the other hand, rubber itself has a damping quality, and an ability to deform over road irregularities. So if you went from a tire with .5mm of tread cap rubber left, to another one with 2mm, then you just gained 1.5mm of extra "suspension travel" and vibration damping due to this rubber's ability to squish and deform, which should have better energy absorption traits than an equivalent amount of casing flex derived "suspension travel" would.

And also, as Beaver alluded to, the rubber on the surface of a new tire may be softer, either due to multiple compounds being used in various layers of the tread, or because the older tire has aged to the point where the rubber has lost elasticity.

kode54

by kode54

like worn car tires that become harsh...that's what i've experienced. smoother ride with new bike tires.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

Delorre

by Delorre

This makes sense, thx, so I'm maybe not yet crazy after all :mrgreen:

Multebear

by Multebear

Going from an old tire to a new one of the same make and model, shouldn't make a noticeable difference. I think it's your imagination playing you. Pure placebo.

Marin

by Marin

More rubber should make the ride harsher. Worn tires test faster, too BTW.

Delorre

by Delorre

Multebear wrote:Going from an old tire to a new one of the same make and model, shouldn't make a noticeable difference. I think it's your imagination playing you. Pure placebo.

Don't think so. Today was the 4th ride on the new tyres, and they still feel very good. The old ones felt harsh, ride after ride. Placebo can occur during the first ride, but if the same good feeling remains for several rides (500km in total until now), that means something....

Multebear

by Multebear

Whatever works for you.... At the end of the day, it's all about ride experience. And if this works for you, then it's all good.

ntb1001

by ntb1001

just installed a pair of veloflex master 25's...have to try them out now.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

I ride Michelin pro 4 endurance. i change them ever 2k-2.5k miles. I don't notice any change in comfort.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels