GP4000S II 28mm thoughts/ reviews?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ClydesdaleChris

by ClydesdaleChris

Anyone running the above tyres? Thoughts? Do you notice the few grammes over the 25's?
BandiCoote

Eddy Merckx Roubaix70 custom build
Trek Émonda 2018 SLR

Marin

by Marin

They come out to 31-32mm wide on current (17c+) rims and thus won't fit many current rim-braked bikes.

They're about as harsh as the 25s, but they roll very fast and last reasonably long.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

They also measure 29mm tall. This is close gravel tire territory. There's so much air volume in the tire that I run it at 60 psi. In grand scheme of things, GP4000S II is a harsh tire, whether it's 23mm, 25mm or 28mm but it does excel in longevity (e.g. at least 4000 miles). Clearance is an issue with 28mm tire. Your options are are limited to disc frames, steel/titanium frames or boutique carbon frames.
Here's the link to comparison of 23mm, 25mm and 28mm tire http://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com ... i-23-25-28

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

Delorre

by Delorre

I've used those 28's on my clx 32 disc (21mm internal) for a couple of cobblestone rides and 1 gravel event (40km gravel, 80km tarmac). At 55f / 60r, you can do whatever you want with these tyres, as long as it's dry. Even gravel, single tracks etc are no problem. They are not intented for that, but for occasional rides on such terrain, along with 90% tarmac the rest of the rides, they are perfect. They roll very well, weight something like 270gr and have good grip. For 100% tarmac use without cobbles, I would use something different. They feel a little 'big', the steering become slow and turn in seems to suffer a little. But for pure granfondo use with real pease of mind, why not.

ClydesdaleChris

by ClydesdaleChris

Interesting comments. So much effort out there touting fat tyres but in the real world they can be quite clunky. I'll take smooth and compliant any day.
BandiCoote

Eddy Merckx Roubaix70 custom build
Trek Émonda 2018 SLR

Delorre

by Delorre

ClydesdaleChris wrote:Interesting comments. So much effort out there touting fat tyres but in the real world they can be quite clunky. I'll take smooth and compliant any day.

That is my feeling as 'lighter' rider (69 kg at the moment), but if you weight something like 90 or 100 kg, things would probably feel a lot different and can be the ideal combo.

shotgun

by shotgun

I'm running 28mm on my Defy, 80-90psi on Reynolds Attacks. I do feel a bit of the weight at spin up but when spun up it's negligible and the comfort more than compensates for it. I'm running 25mm also on Attacks on my TCR so it's a pretty close comparison.
2018 Giant TCR Advance SL0 Disc
2017 Festka Scalatore
1989 Battaglin Roche
1985 Alan Carbonio

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

I recently switched from 28mm GP4000S II (measured ~30mm) at ~265 grams to Panaracer GravelKing 32mm (measured ~30mm) at ~280 grams. Ride quality is convincing, tubular like. Let's just say that I'm ready to recycle my 28mm GP4000S II. 32mm Panaracer GravelKing is the same height and width as 28mm GP4000S II.
It's only $36/tire http://www.excelsports.com/main.asp?pag ... 1&minor=27

Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

morganb

by morganb

mpulsiv wrote:I recently switched from 28mm GP4000S II (measured ~30mm) at ~265 grams to Panaracer GravelKing 32mm (measured ~30mm) at ~280 grams. Ride quality is convincing, tubular like. Let's just say that I'm ready to recycle my 28mm GP4000S II. 32mm Panaracer GravelKing is the same height and width as 28mm GP4000S II.
It's only $36/tire http://www.excelsports.com/main.asp?pag ... 1&minor=27

I dig the sidewall, tan but not super light like the new Corsas. This looks like the perfect tire for my Gunnar.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

@morganb
I dig the sidewall, tan but not super light like the new Corsas. This looks like the perfect tire for my Gunnar

I was actually planning to build Gunnar sport :)
If you want something lighter and even more plush, Compass Stampede Pass extra light ~254 grams is your answer http://www.compasscycle.com/shop/compon ... mpede-pass
They also run narrow like GravelKing's.