CONTINENTAL COMPETITION PRO LTD TUBS

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dpw200

by dpw200

Hi All,

The pro ltds are described as 'pro-only' in the article below -

https://www.bikerumor.com/2017/02/08/td ... te-cf-slx/

Is that really the case?

Does anyone know where, if anywhere, you can buy them and if so how much they are?

Thanks,

D

sungod

by sungod

if you search the forum you'll find a few mentions, for instance

viewtopic.php?t=83023

they're not on general sale, they turn up on ebay, sometimes a shop acquires perhaps from a team or conti selling off excess/old stock

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DWatkinsBSB

by DWatkinsBSB

Yes it is the case, no you can't buy them, they show up on ebay every once ina while from ex-pro bikes.

I bought Jascha's Movistar Aeroad from Canyon and it came with pro ltd.

Difference to the pro tubular?

Latex inner tubes. That. Is. All.

sawyer

by sawyer

DWatkinsBSB wrote:Yes it is the case, no you can't buy them, they show up on ebay every once ina while from ex-pro bikes.

I bought Jascha's Movistar Aeroad from Canyon and it came with pro ltd.

Difference to the pro tubular?

Latex inner tubes. That. Is. All.

Hi - as covered in one of the other threads, you're right that the "dotted" tread Pro LTD is just the standard Conti Comp plus a latex inner, but the "ALX" Pro LTD is TT specific and has a smooth tread. It's a completely different tyre, and it's wildly fast
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

DWatkinsBSB

by DWatkinsBSB

Lol. Thats what I got on the roaroad. No idea the ALX was the TT specific one!

sungod

by sungod

begs the question why they aren't on sale (not that i want to buy them), i thought uci regulations required that everything had to be generally available for purchase

or maybe, if asked, conti simply say, "sure, price is €10000 per tub"

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

That's at least the "spirit" of the uci rule, that stuff used in races must be available to the public within 9 months I believe. However, there seems to be a lot of "exceptions" to that rule that crop up here and there, or the rule is so vague as to the definition of "available" that it sometimes becomes just more of a "suggestion" than an enforced rule. And some manufacturers follow it better than others. For example, I'm not at all sure we'll see the unique Specialized Diverge bikes that were used in Paris Roubaix ever on shop floors, or even really "available" to the average Joe that calls up and says, "I want one of those". Maybe stuff used in Paris Roubaix gets some kind of special exemption since its bike requirements are so unique compared to say, the Grand Tours. I don't know.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Denavelo

by Denavelo

I recently sold a pair of Conti LTD's on the other forum..
I received them from a friend who raced Pro Conti and Those were the tires they used during the season.
I was hoping for the newer style 25-27mm wide ones that resemble the Veloflex Vlaanderen tire.
I received the older style 22-23mm that had the smooth surfaced down the middle, but dots on the side tread and latex tubes.

If you do a serach on ebay, the tires sometimes come on wheelsets that were used by pro or continental pro domestic teams.
Rob English "Mudfoot" 29er | Focus Izalco Max | Firefly #194 Stainless XCR | Firefly #277 | Neilpryde Bura SL 11.9 | Crust Evasion Lite

dpw200

by dpw200

Thanks for your responses, All. Really interesting stuff.

I'd imagine that if they're the best pro tyres money can't usually buy, they'll be (extremely marginally) lighter than standard comps too?

Out of interest, Denavelo, were the tubs you sold new and how much did they go for?

sawyer

by sawyer

No, they're not any lighter

And it's not clear they are best tubs available, though subjectively having ridden many tubs I'd say they're very good. The ride is not as good as Veloflex Carbon, but they seem just as fast, and perhaps a bit faster - impossible to give anything other than one's impression.

But notice that many winning teams are on Specialized tubs, Vittoria tubs etc etc ... so tbh I would tend to think there are a number of pretty closely matched options, with unfortunately one of them not available to the general public
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

sungod

by sungod

outside of tt, i'd think teams will happily go with whoever offers the best sponsorship deal as long as the grip/reliability are ok

even then, if the sponsor hasn't anything suitable, there's always the option for another manufacturer's tyres to be branded as the sponsor's

Denavelo

by Denavelo

Most of the Tubs in the pro peloton are relableded anyways, so it's super hard to identify who actually made the tire.
It looks like Vittoria, Veloflex and FMB make a majority of the tires for the teams. My buddy found a guy with a stash of KENDA labeled tires, that were just Veloflex tires.
Rob English "Mudfoot" 29er | Focus Izalco Max | Firefly #194 Stainless XCR | Firefly #277 | Neilpryde Bura SL 11.9 | Crust Evasion Lite

kgt

by kgt

I am sure that even the pro ltd etc. Contis will never ride as good as a pair of Dugast, FMB or Veloflex.

Geoff

by Geoff

I secretly like the Conti Comps. Ok, the FMB and Dugast products are really much nicer, but Conti is really consistent and durable. The rubber compounds are also excellent, probably the best for road racing. The Ltd.s are great. They are slightly lighter, but only just. They still have a much stiffer casing than the hand-made options.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Asteroid

by Asteroid

Which tires the pro's ride intrigues those of us who ride tubs regularly.
My few times (with a good camera) right next to bikes at the TdF and ToC: always forgot to take "spy shots." More concerned with seeing the riders!
From what I recall or from photos I managed to take, most rode these special Conti's. The tan sidewall ones looked like Veloflex or Dugast to me. Everything else seemed like either Vittoria and Specialized.
It seems to me that teams would not simply ride whatever provided by their sponsors; they would seek out from among the best or top three of the rubber available. Such a critical element of their equipment.
My personal experience is that Veloflex ride much nicer than Conti Comps. Maybe the latex tubes would improve the Conti's ride.
Oldbie