Carbon rims with alloy brake track

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dmulligan

by dmulligan

I remember reading that carbon and aluminium are difficult to bond together. There are many cases where this has been done such as BSA bottom brackets etc.

Are clincher rims with aluminium brake tracks good and reliable?
Are there any care and feeding concerns?
Which manufacturers make good carbon clincher rims and/or wheels with alloy brake tracks that are also affordable?
Have you ever seen one of these on the front and a full carbon clincher in the rear?
Are there any with black alloy brake tracks?

David

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Swannie

by Swannie

Mavic cosmic exalith.
Carbon with alloy is heavier than decent alloy set.
Full carbon is best option.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

Multebear

by Multebear

dmulligan wrote:
Carbon rims with alloy brake track

Why would you want to ride something that silly? That combo gives you the worst of two worlds. The extra weight of alloy, and the faster wear of alloy. And they look fugly as well. Alloy brake track on carbon rims was never a good idea. There's nothing wrong with full carbon rims for good weather riding and races. And you'll get at least 30-40k km out of them, before they are worn if you treat them well. And if the weather is bad, you just switch to some cheap alloy training wheels.

dmulligan

by dmulligan

The idea resurfaced when I was talking to some of my team mates about the Levi's Granfondo. I trust my carbon clinchers in the foothills of the Canadian Rockies, where I live, but the descents in Europe or some parts of the US like the Levi's GF are something else all together.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

AJS914

by AJS914

I frequently see older Zipp and Hed wheels with the alloy brake tracks for cheap in the used market. Maybe keep your eye out?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Multebear

by Multebear

I live in europe and have ridden both italy, france and spains mountains on full carbon clinchers without issues. Just be careful with latex tubes. I wouldn't be too concerned with newer carbon rims.