GP4000S II faults- COMBINED POST

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

WinterRider

by WinterRider

squid046 wrote:You guys are scaring me in regards to the Contis. I've had them for about 1k and they seem pretty good.

Consider the wide usage of this tire... some issues are going to surface.. many IMO are user related to some extent. Yet noting said issues are a ball over the bow for Continental.
Litespeed 2000 Appalachian 61 cm
Litespeed 1998 Blue Ridge 61cm

Fitness rider.. 1 yr from seven decades age.

That is my story and I'm stick'n to it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

c60rider

by c60rider

I've been using these for several years along with its predecessor and I've never had any problems with sidewalls or major puncture issues. I use 23mm on c17 rims inflated to 95psi rear and 90 front I weigh 70kg. In the wet I'll knock 5-10psi off this. There's no tyre that comes close to the combination of low weight, comfort, puncture resistance and longevity. The latter is especially impressive with these and they have super little wear indicators. Every other tyre that someone claims is better than the Conti has a bigger compromise elsewhere.

ClydesdaleChris

by ClydesdaleChris

squid046 wrote:You guys are scaring me in regards to the Contis. I've had them for about 1k and they seem pretty good.

I know so many people who love them. They are a good design. But I just seem to have found a few 25's that have bulges and are out of round. Curious to see whether is was common-ish.
BandiCoote

Eddy Merckx Roubaix70 custom build
Trek Émonda 2018 SLR

RedRacer

by RedRacer

sawyer wrote:No issues here ...

They remain IMO the best balance of speed, longevity and grip, if not the best at anything

Same here :thumbup:

stormur

by stormur

And that's exact issue with them ; inconsistent quality. it's hit or miss. you never know what you get ( ©F.Gump ). That's why I consider them as "bad product"; quality shouldn't be lottery.
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

ClydesdaleChris

by ClydesdaleChris

I'm also surprised at how many people won't let you say a bad thing about them as well. How dare I?!!?
BandiCoote

Eddy Merckx Roubaix70 custom build
Trek Émonda 2018 SLR

rlanger

by rlanger

chorus88 wrote:At 110 psi, I love my GP4000s II 25s, especially w/ Zonda C17s.
So far, only one rear flat, caused by a nail while riding thru a construction site.

Wow, how much do you weigh? That sounds like pretty high pressure to be running on a C17 rim, no?

For comparison, I run my Conti 25s at 80 to 85 psi on my Fulcrum Racing Zero C17s and I'm about 70k. I guess this sounds low to you, so how would one go about determining the ideal pressure. I also ride on a mix of smooth and shite roads.

On my previous wheelset, Ultegra 6800s (not wide), I ran them at about 95 to 100 psi.

By the way, as far as the tires go, I've had great success with the Contis. Durable, great grip, smooth rolling, and quite affordable as you can usually get them on sale at Wiggle or ProBikeKit, for example.

Also, given how popular these tires are, I would expect to see even more people on here voicing issues with them if they were really some sort of systemic quality issues. However, I would guess the actual percentage of tires that make it out of the factory, which don't meet Continental's quality standards, is far below 1%.

Don't think I'll be switching tires anytime soon.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

rlanger wrote:
So far, only one rear flat, caused by a nail while riding thru a construction site.

Wow, how much do you weigh? That sounds like pretty high pressure to be running on a C17 rim, no?

For comparison, I run my Conti 25s at 80 to 85 psi on my Fulcrum Racing Zero C17s and I'm about 70k. I guess this sounds low to you, so how would one go about determining the ideal pressure. I also ride on a mix of smooth and shite roads.

On my previous wheelset, Ultegra 6800s (not wide), I ran them at about 95 to 100 psi.

By the way, as far as the tires go, I've had great success with the Contis. Durable, great grip, smooth rolling, and quite affordable as you can usually get them on sale at Wiggle or ProBikeKit, for example.

Also, given how popular these tires are, I would expect to see even more people on here voicing issues with them if they were really some sort of systemic quality issues. However, I would guess the actual percentage of tires that make it out of the factory, which don't meet Continental's quality standards, is far below 1%.

The reason people run high pressure is due to lack of knowledge and direct experience. Some even afraid to experiment with tire pressure. Ironically, catastrophic failures of rims and tires happen at high pressure.
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

rlanger

by rlanger

mpulsiv wrote:
rlanger wrote:

The reason people run high pressure is due to lack of knowledge and direct experience. Some even afraid to experiment with tire pressure. Ironically, catastrophic failures of rims and tires happen at high pressure.

Wow, that doesn't sound good!

chorus88

by chorus88

mpulsiv wrote:
rlanger wrote:

That's F*ck'n stupid!
BTW, are you American?
When Technology Becomes Emotion
2023 Tarmac SL7 Expert R8100 (90622-3352)

slowK

by slowK

Interesting - I have a bulge on a 28mm. Never had this on a tire before. No problems with a pair of 25mm (that measure up to 28mm (well, 27.9) @60psi on Boyd Altamonts. To me they are a great tire.

sawyer

by sawyer

mpulsiv wrote:
rlanger wrote:

If the roads are smooth enough then up to a point higher pressures will be faster

It's difficult to be prescriptive precisely because road surfaces are so variable
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

Vermu

by Vermu

I reckon I've been using contis for last 10k. Mostly 23 but 25 as well, and never had any issues.
GP4kS II is in my opinnion a good jack of all trades. Can't say its best in crr but all things considered I think we're talking about the most versatile tyre available.
And since they've been selling these a lot, it wouldn't be uncommon to have some issues in the production. Just pity for the customers who've received flawed product.

Bigger Gear

by Bigger Gear

Regarding the faulty tires, I'm a high mileage rider and have bought quite a few Conti GP4000S/ii in both 23 and 25. I've had a couple that have been less than perfectly round, and one that had a bulge on the sidewall when inflated.

As others have said, they are a very good tire for the combo of rolling resistance, flat resistance, ride quality and lifespan. The main issue as always with Conti is the sidewall is vulnerable to damage from larger debris, for example clipping a rock on the side.

In terms of pressure, people need to experiment. I have a set of Enve 3.4 clinchers (18.5/16.5 inner width) where I'm forced to used 700x23 for fork clearance on my C60. I have consistently been reducing my tire pressure over the years but also riding bigger tires. The 700x23 GP4000 on the Enve are pretty much 25 wide and 25 tall so I've played around dropping pressure from my old 90/95 combo that I used to use with 23s. I'm now running 80 PSI front/85 PSI rear and ride on a mix of road surfaces. I have not had pinch flat issues at all at this pressure, nor do I seem any slower. If I am riding in a bigger group where I might not be able to see holes etc, I would probably up that to 85/90 just for a bit of insurance. Yesterday for experimentation I went back to 90/95 and rode a mix of tarmac and very new chipseal and it felt like riding a jackhammer :o I am 77 kg plus another 8-9 kg for kit/bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

asiantrick

by asiantrick

Experiencing sidewall feathery issue with the last set, got me very nervous on fast descending. That was the last time running GP4000. Schwalbe pro one is my go to choice for durability and speed now.