GP4000S II faults- COMBINED POST

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

MikeD

by MikeD

Checked my rear tire and it's a little out of round. I can feel this on smooth pavement at 25 mph.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

NGtim

by NGtim

I've gone through two sets of GP4000S II now. Both times 25c and never had a fault. I've seen someone blow a sidewall but on inspection I think it was incorrectly set up brake pad. Each time I would get approx 6-8000kms out of a pair

1415chris

by 1415chris

Guys, when you are quoting the distance you do on your tyres, at least share your weight. Without this we don't have full or better picture. The rider weight has a dramatic impact on the tyre milage.
I make you sure, that with my 95kg ish 6-8k km on these tyres is science fiction ;)

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Who cares how many km/miles you get out of $35 tire?
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

ClydesdaleChris

by ClydesdaleChris

1415chris wrote:Guys, when you are quoting the distance you do on your tyres, at least share your weight. Without this we don't have full or better picture. The rider weight has a dramatic impact on the tyre milage.
I make you sure, that with my 95kg ish 6-8k km on these tyres is science fiction ;)

Agree. I'm lucky to see 3,500 out of a rear.
BandiCoote

Eddy Merckx Roubaix70 custom build
Trek Émonda 2018 SLR

yinya

by yinya

Running 4seasons (different compound, somewhat thicker) - 85kg - 3-3.5k on the rear but then there is practically no rubber left on top of the vectran. Front 6-7k. So would guess this would be limit also for 4000S2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yinya

by yinya

Running 4seasons (different compound, somewhat thicker) - 85kg - 3-3.5k on the rear but then there is practically no rubber left on top of the vectran. Front 6-7k. So would guess this would be limit also for 4000S2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lobuxracer

by lobuxracer

Took them off my "new to me" 2013 Cervelo S5 TdF because they developed out of round and rubbed the seat tube within 200 miles twice. Running Vittoria CXIIIs now without issue. Where I ride is very gentle on tires, only had puncture issues once in the last 5 years because some jerk broke a glass bottle on the trail. I weigh ~100 kg now, and run 7 bar because I am on Mavic Cosmic Pro Carbon SL C and they discourage pressure over 7.5 bar.

Years ago I ran Contis (circa 1995) on my 1978 Austro Daimler Ultima and had sidewall failure issues. I was riding 65 km a day 5 days a week and could not get them to last more than 2 days before something would slice through the sidewall. I was skeptical when the 23mm GP4000IIs were suggested for my Cervelo, but I figured they couldn't be as bad as they had been before, and they are well known for low rolling resistance. Unfortunately, they just don't fit between the rim and the seat tube after ~100 miles of service.
lance - no, not that guy, I started racing in 1976.
1980 A-D Ultima
1999 Softride TT
2013 Cervelo S5 Team LE

ClydesdaleChris

by ClydesdaleChris

Apv wrote:
Running the conti's on DT Swiss PR1400 DiCut OXIC at 90 PSI front and rear in case anyone was wondering. Feel nice though IMO, shame about longevity.

How are those OXIC rims holding up?
BandiCoote

Trek Émonda 2018 SLR

lw11

by lw11

I was running 23mm Vittoria Corsa G+ on Bora Ultra’s at 90 psi rear 80 psi front. Lovely tyre but very succeptible to cuts. I’ve been running Conti GP4000II 25mm 65 psi rear 55 psi front and absolutely love them; no bulging or sidewalk issues after 2k km’s. I’m 63 kg’s.

dim

by dim

a few years ago, the Conti GP4000 SII were my tyre of choice and I done many miles on many pairs. It was hit and miss .... sometimes I got a dud and the sidewall would split (If memory serves me right, I had 4 rear tyres that split without riding over any debris).... most times, Wiggle would replace these

However, there are so many new tyres that are better. So far, my favourite clincher tyres are Specialized Turbo Cottons .... much faster, comfy ride and zero punctures so far and I have cycled over 1000km on these and they still look brand new

On my current daily commuter (approx 200km/week), I am using Vittoria Open Pave CG (320Tpi and they were on special from Wiggle) ..... roll about as fast as the conti, but have a much better/plush ride .... I've had 4 pinch flats, and 2 punctures so far, but think I have the correct tyre pressure now .... I'm not sure if I would buy another pair though and I think they don't make them anymore

Conti 4 Seasons are pretty good though if you want a tyre for winter .... not as fast as GP4000SII but lasts longer and fewer punctures .... I'd buy them again for Winter

My next set of clinchers (which will be in a months time) will be the IRC Aspite Pro Wet road clincher tyre .... I've never used these, but I'm using the IRC Formula Pro RBCC tubeless road tyres on my 'fast bike' and I'm very impressed/happy . it's my 1st set of tubeless and I will definately use these again, but first I will try the IRC Roadlite tubeless (which are faster), aswell as the Hutchinson Galactic and Schwalbe Pro One tubeless

As for clinchers, I also want to try the Michelins and the new Pirelli next Spring/summer

so..... don't keep on using the same tyres .... there are new tyres that are better
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

ClydesdaleChris

by ClydesdaleChris

So hit and miss. I’ve just been given a couple of them (25’s) to use, see how they go. I also had a set of ‘28’s’ but in reality they’re 31’s. Even on the new bike they don’t fit well. But smoooooth. And not out of round either...
BandiCoote

Trek Émonda 2018 SLR

Apv

by Apv

ClydesdaleChris wrote:
Apv wrote:
Running the conti's on DT Swiss PR1400 DiCut OXIC at 90 PSI front and rear in case anyone was wondering. Feel nice though IMO, shame about longevity.

How are those OXIC rims holding up?

Love them, they're still good after riding in the rain. I'd say the coating can scratch easily from a hard object (like a stone), but has yet to wear from brake pads.
They're on my summer bike, so I haven't used them since early November. Currently riding the winter bike with DT Swiss R24's.

Anyway, I've yet to need to true them or anything, quite happy with how snappy they feel in comparison to anything else I've used.

They chew through brakepads though (Swiss Stop BXP blue), took them to the lake district in May and went through almost half of a set from 200 km of steep hills in the weekend.
New brakepads leave a blue powdery coating over the wheels and tyres which wash off easily. After wearing in the brake pads a bit, this stops happening.

People have complained before about noises from the spokes. I've experienced this issue, but after putting a tiny drop of chain lube where the spokes overlap and the issue hasn't returned.

Love the sound the hubs make as well. Its not a loud noise, but a deeper buzz and a metallic echo (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=br5rE5nx6l0).
That's about all I can comment for now, waiting for the spring UK roads in the mean time.

Hope this helps, any further questions please just ask.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Here's my front tire wobble https://youtu.be/fOwhbUd6lvM
Has anyone experienced this?
Looks like it's time to recycle it and forget about Contiental GP4000S for good.
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

JoO

by JoO

I have suffered form wobble due to sidewall fraying for my conti 25 and 28's.
https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... p?t=152092