GP4000S II faults- COMBINED POST

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ClydesdaleChris

by ClydesdaleChris

Sadly I can't continue my support for the GP4000s, with a recent spate of out-of-round 25mm tyres, which came from different stores. Checked on different rims, and double checked seating, still there. The online store actually replied with my warranty claim with new ones, and no query at all. Seems like they knew about it.

The old ones used to have a self-destructive sidewall, which feathered and you got strings off the wall, or just plain failed.

They roll nice, but for some reason I have found they end up out of round over a short time, even on first fitment. Thump, thump, thump, very annoying. Fulcrum, Campagnolo, DT Swiss and H Plus Son rims, same issue each time.

Has anyone else had any roundness issues with the GP4000S II in 25mm? List your experiences here so I know it's not just in my head!!!!

Also post if you have had the same dramas or others in 23 or 28mm.

Edit: out of round meaning a slight bulge at one point of the tyre. Very noticeable on the front, when you're rolling.
BandiCoote

Eddy Merckx Roubaix70 custom build
Trek Émonda 2018 SLR

1415chris

by 1415chris

Ditch them and pick other tyres.
GP4S are not brilliant in any tyre performance characteristic. They are not bad, but so many other interesting options out there to choose from.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Marin

by Marin

Agreed, there's tons of great tires out there, just switch.

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

Had sidewall issues with 23's. I gave up on them. Switched to kenda kalientes which I found on ebay for 20-25 usd each (and they've been bombproof and lighter and easier to mount). I'm now trying the kenda valkyrie tire which comes in a 192g for a 25 mm width.
Speedplay is the devil!

ClydesdaleChris

by ClydesdaleChris

I have already- Vittoria Rubino PRO SPEED, seem to be way faster, feel nicer on the road too, on the Domane P1. AUD$33 each on Wiggle. A set of Veloflex Masters live on the EDDY70 but may get replaced with a set of Vittoria Corsa G+ gumwalls when they're done to try them out, otherwise I'm going to run the Rubino SPEED as my regular ride tyres to see how they go.

Life is too short for shit tyres. :D

Keep 'em coming.
BandiCoote

Eddy Merckx Roubaix70 custom build
Trek Émonda 2018 SLR

WinterRider

by WinterRider

ClydesdaleChris wrote:I have already- Vittoria Rubino PRO SPEED, seem to be way faster, feel nicer on the road too, on the Domane P1. AUD$33 each on Wiggle. A set of Veloflex Masters live on the EDDY70 but may get replaced with a set of Vittoria Corsa G+ gumwalls when they're done to try them out, otherwise I'm going to run the Rubino SPEED as my regular ride tyres to see how they go.

Life is too short for shit tyres. :D

Keep 'em coming.

From Rolling Resistance Review:

"Conclusion

Vittoria Rubino Pro Speed road bike tire on a rolling resistance test machine
The Vittoria Rubino Pro Speed offers a low weight and a low rolling resistance at the higher end of the air pressure range. The low rolling resistance comes at the cost of a very low puncture resistance and only a thin layer of rubber. I can't imagine a situation where I would prefer this tire over a Conti GP4000S II or Schwalbe One which offer close to the same rolling resistance but offer a much higher puncture resistance."
Litespeed 2000 Appalachian 61 cm
Litespeed 1998 Blue Ridge 61cm

Fitness rider.. 1 yr from seven decades age.

That is my story and I'm stick'n to it.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

I went through 3 sets of GP4000s II's in one season... consistently falling apart in the sidewalls, well before the tread was anywhere near worn. Fortunately, I caught all of those before I took them out and had rides on them. Unfortunately, some of my teammates weren't so lucky and 3 of them had catastrophic blow outs on the road due to sidewall failures. I switched to S-Works turbo tires and ran them for 2 seasons with much better luck. They're faster and lasted much longer than I ever got a set of GP's to last. This year, I've been running Vittoria Corsa G+ and they've performed great as well.

kode54

by kode54

i have inconsistent sidewall issues with GP4000II. always changing them before wearing out to the 'wear indicators'. been using Schwable Pro One lately and wore one set down to the fabric belts. probably don't get as much mileage out of a set, but much more than GPs which i have to change prematurely. i would like to try the Panaracers next.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

Garrison

by Garrison

I had the feathering issue on a pair of 4000S several years ago. Since then I have gone through 2 pairs with no issue, save for an unfortunate sidewall cut

PrimO

by PrimO

I had two side-wall blow-outs on 25mm GP4000's last year. Both had less than 100kms on them and both were replaced under warranty by the retailers. I haven't had any issues since but I think I'm going back to Michelin Pro4's once these are done as I was using Michelins for the previous 3 or 4 years with zero issues and more importantly only 1 puncture in that time.

sawyer

by sawyer

No issues here ... have had some in the squad since launch of the black chilli variant, and before come to think of it (though those were genuine slow cr@p)

They remain IMO the best balance of speed, longevity and grip, if not the best at anything
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

Marin

by Marin

The reason to ditch gp4000s is not the sidewall but the extremely harsh ride!

Asteroid

by Asteroid

Marin wrote:The reason to ditch gp4000s is not the sidewall but the extremely harsh ride!

Agree with the harsh ride issue. I dunno...maybe the stiffish sidewalls improve rolling resistance measurements. I'm not interested in running below 90psi just to compensate.

My GP's always ran true. Cool-looking tires. And pretty easy to mount on tubeless-compatible rims. Suffered zero punctures over a couple thousand miles, but unfortunate enough on two occasions to hit small stuff on the road to cause huge slits in the sidewall, which seems very brittle to me. Probably just bad luck, but costly bad luck at that.
Oldbie

MikeD

by MikeD

Best tires I've used. Doubt I'll ever buy another Vittoria. Open Corsa CX's were too fragile and fit too loose on the rims. Sorry you are having problems with out of roundness. Hope I don't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

kode54

by kode54

i find it amazing to see all the different experiences with the GP4000IIs. the ride does get harsh after a thousand miles on them...i can agree on that. but when i first put them on, they feel pretty nice.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com