GP4000S II faults- COMBINED POST

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I can't imagine life without Conti GP4000's.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AJS914

by AJS914

I've had nothing but great luck with them. I tried Vittoria "open tubulars" and while they were a tiny bit more supple, it wasn't night and day. The Vittorias also got way more flats.

ClydesdaleChris

by ClydesdaleChris

Good discussion guys, keep it coming.

FWIW, I'm tempted to try the 28's to see how they differ, but I also want to try the Corsa G+ as well.
BandiCoote

Eddy Merckx Roubaix70 custom build
Trek Émonda 2018 SLR

stockae92

by stockae92

Reading about the side wall issue and harsh ride, those scared me away from GP4k II and I went with Michelin Pro4 Endurance V2 25c.

Masque

by Masque

No problem with the 25s I sourced back in 2015; my 2017 28s, however, have had a 33% roundness issue rate. I've only had this issue on the back tire, and it's been relatively minor: The problem shows up only over 30mph, where it's only terrifying until I figure out what it is....

chorus88

by chorus88

At 110 psi, I love my GP4000s II 25s, especially w/ Zonda C17s.
So far, only one rear flat, caused by a nail while riding thru a construction site.
When Technology Becomes Emotion
2023 Tarmac SL7 Expert R8100 (90622-3352)

flying

by flying

chorus88 wrote:At 110 psi, I love my GP4000s II 25s, especially w/ Zonda C17s.
So far, only one rear flat, caused by a nail while riding thru a construction site.

Exactly same for me on same wheels same pressure
Have 1200 miles on them now
One rear flat due to a stiff wire ( I think was a trucks tire steel belt came undone)
Other than that great tires

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Why in the world would you run this tire at 110 psi? GP4000S II is a high volume tire. Even if a rider weight 90kg (200lbs), ~ 95 psi is more than enough.
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

Apv

by Apv

WinterRider wrote:
ClydesdaleChris wrote:I have already- Vittoria Rubino PRO SPEED, seem to be way faster, feel nicer on the road too, on the Domane P1. AUD$33 each on Wiggle. A set of Veloflex Masters live on the EDDY70 but may get replaced with a set of Vittoria Corsa G+ gumwalls when they're done to try them out, otherwise I'm going to run the Rubino SPEED as my regular ride tyres to see how they go.

Life is too short for shit tyres. :D

Keep 'em coming.

From Rolling Resistance Review:

"Conclusion

Vittoria Rubino Pro Speed road bike tire on a rolling resistance test machine
The Vittoria Rubino Pro Speed offers a low weight and a low rolling resistance at the higher end of the air pressure range. The low rolling resistance comes at the cost of a very low puncture resistance and only a thin layer of rubber. I can't imagine a situation where I would prefer this tire over a Conti GP4000S II or Schwalbe One which offer close to the same rolling resistance but offer a much higher puncture resistance."

This definitely isn't my experience. 2000km on the Pro Speeds G+ on rough British roads and not a single puncture... yet. I run them at 110 PSI on the front and 120 on the rear as "recommended".
Have GP4ks on the summer bike and I've only had one rear blow out but sidewalls fraying like mad long before the tread is dead. I just put on a new tyre, and that GP4K has a small hole in the sidewall after <400km.

Running the conti's on DT Swiss PR1400 DiCut OXIC at 90 PSI front and rear in case anyone was wondering. Feel nice though IMO, shame about longevity.

bremerradkurier

by bremerradkurier

mpulsiv wrote:

Why in the world would you run this tire at 110 psi? GP4000S II is a high volume tire. Even if a rider weight 90kg (200lbs), ~ 95 psi is more than enough.

This-I was running the same tires on a 17mm internal rim at 85f, 90r back when I weighed 90kg, and thinking about going down to 80/85 now that I'm down to 80kg; this lets me take curves at speeds I wouldn't have when I was a teenager with pretensions of invulnerability on 700x20 tires pumped up to the highest number on the sidewall.

flying

by flying

mpulsiv wrote:

Not who your asking but...people like what they like that is why :wink:

Some of us have ridden awhile & know what we like :D

That is just how it is regardless of what "reports" say

WinterRider

by WinterRider

'Not who your asking but...people like what they like that is why :wink:'

That works.. to each their own. :thumbup: Go for it!

Yet... I confess I find those pressures make my back hurt just thinking about them. Also had a conversation/visit with the bike shoppe manager the other day and one of his comments was how some of the customers were breaking spokes riding max tire pressure and beyond. I assumed high end road bikes with minimum counts likely laced 'traditional' vs triplet.

The rolling resistance test site I seem to remember found around 1 watt difference between 80 psi to 120 psi on the Cont GP 4000. But if harder makes one feel faster.. and speed is your need... :beerchug:
Litespeed 2000 Appalachian 61 cm
Litespeed 1998 Blue Ridge 61cm

Fitness rider.. 1 yr from seven decades age.

That is my story and I'm stick'n to it.

Marin

by Marin

In real world tests with a rider onboard, lower pressures are faster, unlike in drum tests.

Check out the Silca blog for more info -> https://silca.cc/blogs/journal/part-4b- ... -impedance

Patto

by Patto

I have used 6 perfect 28mm. I had a 28mm with a bulge. condom thin at the bulge. Replaced by vendor.

25mm on rear of race bike, its not perfect but very minor fault.

23mm on front of race bike, perfect.

Run 28mm on commuter at 80-60psi.

23 & 25 at 95psi.

89kg aggregate weight.

Get very few punctures till 5500km and then they are puncture magnets. Most puncture resistant ty I have used.Comfort is right up there too.

squid046

by squid046

You guys are scaring me in regards to the Contis. I've had them for about 1k and they seem pretty good.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com