2018 Campagnolo Scirocco C17 wheels came out to 1800 grams!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ferrarista

by ferrarista

Scirocco comes with steel freehub and Zonda C17 comes with aluminum shimano freehub.
██

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

This is as of 2018? Per specs from 2017, Scirocco has aluminum hub http://www.campagnolo.com/media/files/0 ... o_2017.pdf

Perhaps this is the reason of weight discrepancy? 2018 model comes with steel (white ceramic coating) hub hence its heavier than advertised?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ferrarista

by ferrarista

You have to look at the exploded views. CAM-FH-BUU015X1 is steel and FH-BO015X1 is aluminum.
██

robertbb

by robertbb

What's the material for Campy freehub on the Zonda's..?

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

robertbb wrote:What's the material for Campy freehub on the Zonda's..?

It's aluminum. See page 129 http://www.campagnolo.com/media/files/0 ... o_2017.pdf

I'm trying to find out whether there was an update on 2018 Scirocco. There are no part # on the hub. It's white :thumbup:
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

ferrarista

by ferrarista

If your freehub is white its aluminum.
██

robertbb

by robertbb

And therefore your wheels are heavier someplace else... :?

I was tossing up between Zonda's and Scirroco's (both C17). Went with Zonda's because the rim is just much more highly engineered - MoMag and Dynamic Balance. Hubs are better too. They aren't anywhere near as stiff as my Shamal's but are a very, very good training set. If you can still swap them, I would.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

robertbb wrote:And therefore your wheels are heavier someplace else... :?

I was tossing up between Zonda's and Scirroco's (both C17). Went with Zonda's because the rim is just much more highly engineered - MoMag and Dynamic Balance. Hubs are better too. They aren't anywhere near as stiff as my Shamal's but are a very, very good training set. If you can still swap them, I would.

Scirocco wheels are engineered with dynamic balance like Zonda per specs from http://www.campagnolo.com/media/files/0 ... o_2017.pdf

The question is - what is "ultra-linear geometry?

I was looking as Shamals Mille but it's $850. USB bearings must very nice.

PrimO

by PrimO

Arent the scirroco's just Campag's version of the Quattro (same width/profile etc) yet the Quattros don't use rim tape? At least the 2013 Quattros I had didn't...

robertbb

by robertbb

mpulsiv wrote:
robertbb wrote:And therefore your wheels are heavier someplace else... :?

Scirocco wheels are engineered with dynamic balance like Zonda per specs from http://www.campagnolo.com/media/files/0 ... o_2017.pdf

The question is - what is "ultra-linear geometry?

I was looking as Shamals Mille but it's $850. USB bearings must very nice.

I have a set of Shamal C17's too. I must say, don't bother with the Mille (unless black brake track is *that* important to you). Braking on the C17's is superb - far better than the Zonda C17's. The wheelset is only marginally lighter (about 75 grams) but is a metric a**load stiffer. I can easily push both front and rear Zonda rims onto the brake block with my hand - it takes a heck of a lot of force on the Shamals to get anywhere near the block, they really are that tight. USB bearings is a bonus.. can't honestly say I notice that so much over the bearings in the Zonda.

(The Scirroco's don't look balanced at all - unless the extra material is *inside* the rim for aero purposes. That might explain the lack of momag...)

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

I decided to keep them after all. I have always been training and racing on stiff wheels (e.g. 24/28 spokes) and didn't expect the Scirocco's to climb that well. I was blown away as how proprietary G3 lacing pattern and low spokes can perform that well. These wheels definitely make my races interesting with effortless attacks. I can't imagine what Bora 35 and 50 is capable of now!

Tokyo

by Tokyo

Scirocco c17 is coming. I hope all yours concerns are already pass. Right now is 2018 and Campagnolo say they are upgraded wheels to 1650 g. There was big fight between Scirocco c17 and Fulcrum Racing 5 LG Road. Well did I make mistake or right decision?

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Tokyo wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:56 pm
Scirocco c17 is coming. I hope all yours concerns are already pass. Right now is 2018 and Campagnolo say they are upgraded wheels to 1650 g. There was big fight between Scirocco c17 and Fulcrum Racing 5 LG Road. Well did I make mistake or right decision?
Did you read the title of the thread?

sawyer

by sawyer

Scirroccos are pigs ... good commuting wheels, but the Zondas are leagues better for not much more cash
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

Alumen

by Alumen

sawyer wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:53 pm
Scirroccos are pigs ... good commuting wheels, but the Zondas are leagues better for not much more cash
Why ?
CAAD 13 Disc
CAAD 10 2015 R.I.P.
Kona Kahuna

28, the real 25

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com