Shamal, Zonda, Handbuilt ride comfort question NOW ANSWERED

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Bike: Colnago EP PR82 (Saronni Red)

I am after alloy clinchers (not tubeless).

I have heard conflicting opinions regarding the ride comfort of both the Shamal Ultra C17 and Zonda C17. Some say they are on the harsh side and other say surprisingly comfortable. I have never been a fan of aluminum spokes which is why I bring the Zonda into the picture. Does anyone have a well formed opinion on this issue? Will quality handbulits be appreciably more comfortable?

Also what are peoples views of the aesthetics of the G3 pattern and relatively loud graphics on a classic like the EP in PR 82? Right now I have debadged handbuilts and the look is so clean. (The handbuilts are moving over to my travel bike hence the need for something new.) DT Swiss PR1400 Oxic would solve the problem but they are a step in price with very few sellers.

http://imgur.com/a/8THsK
Last edited by Mr.Gib on Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

sawyer

by sawyer

Mr.Gib wrote:Bike: Colnago EP PR82 (Saronni Red)

I am after alloy clinchers (not tubeless).

I have heard conflicting opinions regarding the ride comfort of both the Shamal Ultra C17 and Zonda C17. Some say they are on the harsh side and other say surprisingly comfortable. I have never been a fan of aluminum spokes which is why I bring the Zonda into the picture. Does anyone have a well formed opinion on this issue? Will quality handbulits be appreciably more comfortable?

Also what are peoples views of the aesthetics of the G3 pattern and relatively loud graphics on a classic like the EP in PR 82? Right now I have debadged handbuilts and the look is so clean. (The handbuilts are moving over to my travel bike hence the need for something new.) DT Swiss PR1400 Oxic would solve the problem but they are a step in price with very few sellers.

Hi Mr Gib - great bike. Is it on the forum anywhere I can see?

So I have had two sets of Zondas and one set of Shamal Ultras (gold vintage) and done 10s of thousands of Ks on both. The Zondas are a bit more comfortable yes. Suspect the steel spokes have a bit more flex in them than those big alu things. Zondas are pretty comfortable wheels by any standards. Plus point for Shamal is they are better to climb on - they feel snappy, nice to attack up a climb on (in the days when I was capable of such a thing)

A Colnago with Campag and Zondas or Shamals is a class act, if a notch or two below Boras. As an incurable snob I'd actually give you more points for Zondas as it would be suggestive of a knowledge on your part of ride characteristics, aerodynamics, and a casual disregard for fashion.

IMO Bora 35 tubulars in Bright would be the single best wheelset to go with that frame ...
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Thanks Sawyer,

i put a link to a photo in the first post. First time om Imgur so I am doing something wrong with the third party hosting - couldn't get the photo to embed.

Shamal is tempting because of the lighter weight but in the end it is just 100 grams less then the Zonda.

Yes Bora's are the correct wheel but for this bike the better braking of alloy appeals to me.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

sawyer

by sawyer

Mr.Gib wrote:Thanks Sawyer,

i put a link to a photo in the first post. First time om Imgur so I am doing something wrong with the third party hosting - couldn't get the photo to embed.

Shamal is tempting because of the lighter weight but in the end it is just 100 grams less then the Zonda.

Yes Bora's are the correct wheel but for this bike the better braking of alloy appeals to me.

Got it - looks great. Nice drop, near slammage etc

A thought is that Shamal Milles would look good also

But if it was mine, I'd have Zondas and Boras (oh, and do)

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

The Shamal Milles are also under consideration. I only ride the EP in good weather so I shouldn't have and issue with the black finish wearing off the brake track.

Marin

by Marin

You won't be able to tell a difference in ride comfort between any 2 modern wheelsets.

Effects from tire choice & pressure, bar tape, saddle & bib padding and exposed seatpost length will be orders of magnitude larger than anything from wheels that are stiff enough to ride.

fordred

by fordred

I had the gold Shamal for years. It rides harsh. Borrowed Zonda from a mate and was surprised by the difference in comfort level.
Never used the C17 versions before but I'm pretty much against alu spokes now.

Currently using a custom White industries T11 with Pacenti SL23, before Campy have C17 wide rims. Been using it for a few years and have no urge to change to other clinchers.

If you ask me which wheel I would buy now, I would pick the Zonda C17 in a flash. Half the cost of my custom wheel.

Campy hubs are amazingly smooth and wheels are bombproof. Never had to true my Shamal ever and I would imagine Zonda to have the same type of durability. The rims are very high quality, which is shared by both Shamal and Zonda.

sawyer

by sawyer

Marin wrote:You won't be able to tell a difference in ride comfort between any 2 modern wheelsets.

Effects from tire choice & pressure, bar tape, saddle & bib padding and exposed seatpost length will be orders of magnitude larger than anything from wheels that are stiff enough to ride.

Disagree with not being able to tell difference in ride comfort, but I've been riding a very long time and ridden scores of wheelsets

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Marin wrote:You won't be able to tell a difference in ride comfort between any 2 modern wheelsets.

This is theoretically what I understand to be true. I guess we need an engineer with knowledge of this issue to explain it. For a wheel to be "more comfortable", it has to flex or stretch more than a wheel that is "less comfortable".

So the question becomes what is actually flexing or stretching? Is it the spokes? Does the hub actually move slightly up and down as spokes above and below deflect in some way? That would be undesirable would it not? Or does the rim flex and the spokes deform slightly to accommodate this change in shape?

Whatever wheels I get, I will ride 25 mm Corsa's at 85psi so I should be alright.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Had my first ride on Shamal Ultra C17 (bought from PBK after a fiasco with Ribble). Absolutely no sense of harshness in the ride. Very smooth, fast and comfortable. But wow are these things solid out of the saddle. Made the bike feel stiffer. Great wheels. The comparison is with Hed Belgiums on Dura Ace hubs, C-Xray 28/32. Same tires and pressures.

Now another question: do I remove the labels? They're pretty loud, lots of white lettering. Even the silver nipples stretch the bounds of good taste IMO. I'll see if I can get my act together to get a photo up.

3Pio

by 3Pio

Using my self Shamal 2014 Model (not the wider version), and also having Bora one 35 Tubular. On Shamals i have now about 9000 km. Long rides, a lot of climbing and not nice roads (potholes, dirt..). I was also riding them winter time.. No problems. No need any maintance until now.. Very reliable. Im using them with Latex inner tubes, and while i can feel Bora are a bit more comfortable, Shamals are good enough for me.. Not just good, i love them :)

Same experience have my friend who use the same, and he wont switch to Bora's after his experience for last few months..

Never tried Zonda's, but look like best buy consider ing price and everything

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com