Campagnolo Bora vs Corima vs Mavic vs Zipp

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

MiddMan

by MiddMan

So there's a pair of Bora clinchers on sale I should probably just buy, but they're not the newer ones with AC3 rim treatment. Does it matter?

That brings to me to question / comparisons: I'm a tall 193cm guy with riding weight of between 85-90kg, so I'm looking for a carbon wheelset that will little to no lateral flex. I'm fairly experienced and usually don't hold back when going downhill; that said, I'm no lightweight so can pick up momentum. Don't think I have any KoM going up, but I definitely have a few local Strava records going down.

Anyway, although I'm very experienced with aluminium rims, I'm new to carbon rims and their (lack of) braking power. I ride mostly in dry weather but am likely to get caught in the rain more than a few times. Thus I want these to be my primary wheelset for use on diverse roads--undulating, flat, mountains.

I'll eventually add a lower profile set, but for now I'm considering Bora Ultra 50, Corima 47, Mavic (maybe), or Zipp 404 (maybe). I'd be grateful for your input--including your reasoning--for chossing one over the other.

I'll chime in with my further thoughts as needed too.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

I can only offer my experience with the latest and greatest from Mavic - haven't tried the others. I have the low profile Ksyrium Pro Carbon SLC. Many regard these wheels as having braking performance that is as good as carbon gets. I weigh 80 kg so a bit lighter than you. Do not for a minute believe that you will have braking close to what you experience with alloy rims. If you are OK with that then the Cosmic Pro Carbon SL (same as the Ksyrium but with a deeper rim) will be excellent. The new hubs are first rate.

FWIW I would never take these wheels or any carbon rimmed wheel into serious mountains. Rim braking on alloy is just that much better. But both are available in a disc version so...
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

MiddMan

by MiddMan

Mr.Gib wrote:FWIW I would never take these wheels or any carbon rimmed wheel into serious mountains. Rim braking on alloy is just that much better. But both are available in a disc version so...

Indeed. Not intending crazy switchbacks or super steep gradients. Just familiar roads on somewhat tame East Coast mountains. In some cases they get very steep but I know the curves and when they taper off, so in those cases I hardly ever even touch the brakes.

I've always like Mavic. I also like the fact that Mavic uses an aluminium track beneath the carbon which is meant to increase braking power and prevent the rims from getting too hot. Don't know how true it is, or how legit the AC3 brake track is on the new Boras, or for that matter the extra stopping power from x or y brake pads, but certainly a lot to consider.

I admit I'm a diehard rim brakes fan, and mechanical groupu kind of guy so... ;)

brycerider

by brycerider

Keen to follow this thread. Just upgraded the bike to an S5 with Di2 and the HED 6 wheels. Looking for something lighter and more versatile. I race regularly and for training it's mixed terrain. Thinking of Zipp 303s as much budget is not going to accomdation Enve 3.4 or 4.5. Suggestions? I am similar weight to the original poster
N+1 It Never Stops

canoas

by canoas

thumbs up Corima! Rigid fast, reliable, super wheels. I have 47mm S+ clinchers. braking is great.

MiddMan

by MiddMan

@canoas That's great to hear! There's really a paucity of reviews on Corima, but those I've found/read all seem to be positive. I certainly don't judge by looks alone, but the MCC 47mm S+ 'look' amazing though I think they only come in tubular (?)... Perhaps a good incentive to make the switch. Only downside is, unlike the Bora tubular which have no spoke holes, I think the Corimas do.

@ cyclespeed has a great review of the MCCs--one of the only comprehensive ones I've seen and read.

If I went Corima I guess it's a question of
a) MCC or the 47mm S+
b) clincher or tubular
c) if eventually also adding a second wheelset, which combo? (For example: Bora Ultimate 35 Clinchers & Corima 47mm MCC S+ tubulars; or Bora 50 tubulars & Corima 47mm S+ clinchers; or... you get the idea)

MiddMan

by MiddMan

I know @Calnago swears by Boras and @kgt is a fan of Corima. I'd be interested to hear their takes and anyone else on this topic/combo of wheels.

canoas

by canoas

MiddMan wrote:@canoas That's great to hear! There's really a paucity of reviews on Corima, but those I've found/read all seem to be positive. I certainly don't judge by looks alone, but the MCC 47mm S+ 'look' amazing though I think they only come in tubular (?)... Perhaps a good incentive to make the switch. Only downside is, unlike the Bora tubular which have no spoke holes, I think the Corimas do.

@ cyclespeed has a great review of the MCCs--one of the only comprehensive ones I've seen and read.

If I went Corima I guess it's a question of
a) MCC or the 47mm S+
b) clincher or tubular
c) if eventually also adding a second wheelset, which combo? (For example: Bora Ultimate 35 Clinchers & Corima 47mm MCC S+ tubulars; or Bora 50 tubulars & Corima 47mm S+ clinchers; or... you get the idea)

mine are clinchers 47mm S+ (with Corima's own carbon hubs with Ti skewers) 1400g with a very rigid 12K carbon weave 2016 model.
Yes, Corima come with top of the line Xray spokes that can easier be changed. Bora's are very reliable as well. I made the choice on price difference, a large discount on Corima.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

MiddMan wrote:I know @Calnago swears by Boras and @kgt is a fan of Corima. I'd be interested to hear their takes and anyone else on this topic/combo of wheels.

Yes, I like the Boras, best hubs in the business imo. The G3 pattern is super strong, stainless steel spokes, just rock solid wheels perfectly true, round and dished. I don't know about and haven't even worked on a set of Corimas, so I don't have a comment about them. Not a fan of Mavic wheels... really hate that bushing in the hub that constantly seems to need maintenance and I've got a set of wheels for a guy now with the carbon farings over the aluminum structure which are really quite flexy and very noisy. Not a fan. Zipps... again... they seem to have to redesign their hubs so often I can't even keep track. I'm biased towards the Boras for sure, because nothing has ever gone wrong with them. They look great, they perform great, what's not to like. But mine are tubulars. I have no experience with the clinchers.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

vamoots58

by vamoots58

Been riding the Corima S+ tubulars for about 18 months. Great wheels! Right out of the bag, the quality and attention to detail in the manufacturing process was evident. I also have Bora Ultra 2 tubulars (not the new wide ones), great wheels, but hey have been relegated to trainer duty. If its crazy windy out, I ride the ENVE 25 tubulars. Considering a new set of wheels myself. Been lusting after Lightweights for years, never pulled the trigger. The MCC's are also in the running. Realize your search is centered on clinchers, but I have been super happy with my Corima's!!

MiddMan

by MiddMan

I'm not oppposed to tubulars--I'm actually very keen to ride them--but perhaps I'm timid about learning how to glue them. So I should say tubulars are fair game, though it adds the question: would it be wise to get one set of clinchers (say, the Boras) and then add a set of tubulars (e.g., Corima)? Or kust keep it all in the same family, whether tubular or clincher? Or perhaps I should make the jump to tubs right now to begin with??

Tubular vs clincher further complicates the decision, but because it's a big part of the bike in both price and performance it's something I don't mind analysing or 'over thinking'.

vamoots58

by vamoots58

I went 100% tubular and am not going back. It is a commitment in a number of ways, and both have their staunch adherents, but I have been super happy with tubulars.

MiddMan

by MiddMan

Hmm. All the support for tubs is telling. I spent the last day reading up about them, and find more pros than cons, so maybe I should pull the trigger.

Do any of you have 'backup' clinchers for when the glue is drying, or you have to remount? Or do you just have multiple sets of tubulars?

Imaking20

by Imaking20

I'm a tubular only household at this point and zero regrets about it. I use tape to install and carry orange seal in case of flat. I definitely seem to get fewer flats and I'm back on the road quicker when it does happen.

As for the wheels, I've now owned all the brands mentioned in this thread except Corima. I just got out on Boras today and I was expecting a revelation that didn't come. They definitely ride nicely and the braking may be the most linear I've ridden - by a very small margin - but the outright power is no better than Reynolds. I can't say I've had one set of hubs that left an impression more than others, so lately I've been more and more fond of plain ok dt240 hubs with a 36t ratchet. Bonus points for straight pull for sure.

With all else considered equal, of the wheels I've owned or spent appreciable time on I'd rate braking in this order:
Knight
Reynolds (newer gen)
Campagnolo
Enve
Reynolds (older gen)
Zipp
Hed
Bontrager
Mavic

For reference, I was ~80kg for more than half these wheels. Down to 72kg at the moment. Also more strata glory on the downhill than uphill.

kgt

by kgt

I am a tubular only rider since 2010, no regrets.
I think that Bora and Corima are both great wheelsets that perform similarly. Bora has better hubs, Corima slightly better rims (foam core).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com