Advice needed: climbing clincher for heavier rider

Everything about building wheels, glueing tubs, etc.
BMH1965

by BMH1965

Thanks for the information.
I will take a look at the links and recommendations.
I agree with you about getting a wheel builder involved and I have also heard about the gauging issue on some freehubs.

by Weenie

Multebear

by Multebear

Where in Scandi are you located? Norway?

BMH1965

by BMH1965

Denmark.
Unfortunately, I cannot trust most of the local bike shops as they just want to sell their stock of 'standard' bikes - at full price!
Next thing for me is to find a good local wheel builder...

1415chris

by 1415chris

Multebear wrote:Regarding DT 240 hubs, you might want to stay clear of them. The free hub body is very susceptible to gauging from the cassette, if you ride sram/shimano. Especially if you are a heavier rider. Choose high end quality hubs with titanium free hub body instead - Dura Ace or White industries T11. Both are excellent hubs and they are approx. the same price range as DT. Dura Ace might even be cheaper.

Sram Red cassets are remedium for alu freehub boby, no need going for Ti.

Multebear

by Multebear

^ You'll wear through a Red cassette faster than a DT free hub body. And they are twice the price. That would be a really bad trade.

Just buy the right hub from the start, and you can ride everything from 105 to Dura Ace cassettes and equivalent Sram level cassettes as well. I use 105 cassettes for training and Ultegra for racing. No need to move further up.

Besides that, DT haven't updated their hub design for around 15 years. There are better options out there.

BMH1965

by BMH1965

Now it getting confusing again...

I will not be looking at Sram Red for the hub, but I did consider getting the Sram Red crank.
I looked at using a complete 'Red' system but the cost was way too much for my budget, and 75% of the weight saving (about 200g compared to 'Force') is in the crank.

Anyone aware of long-term test reviews for hub bodies?

Multebear

by Multebear

BMH1965 wrote:
Anyone aware of long-term test reviews for hub bodies?

Not sure they exist. But as long as you choose hubs with either steel or titanium freehub body, you're fine. It's only the aluminum bodies, that are problematic.