Big man wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

merser

by merser

Hi, first post on here. Been hunting for a decent cycling forum and came across this.

I'm pretty new to the road cycling game and as I gain fitness/lose weight I have a couple of plans, one is getting a decent power meter and the other is decent wheels.

I have been looking at zipp 404 but during a bike fit last week I was told they flex like mad especially with a big guy on them. I'm 6'4" and about 109kg so pretty substantial. That weight is likely to drop but I can't imagine much below 100kg as that would be pretty lean for me.

My question is would the zipps be a bad idea? And can anyone suggest better options. I've been looking at mavic cosmics as alternatives.

Thanks in advance.

Jamie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hlvd

by hlvd

Weigh around 104kg, 6'6", no flex in 6800 and Ksyrium Pro wheelsets.
Just purchased Cosmic Pro Carbon SL wheels but not ridden yet, if they're like the Ksyrium Pro they'll be super stiff.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

merser

by merser

hlvd wrote:Weigh around 104kg, 6'6", no flex in 6800 and Ksyrium Pro wheelsets.
Just purchased Cosmic Pro Carbon SL wheels but not ridden yet, if they're like the Ksyrium Pro they'll be super stiff.

Awesome. Confirms what I've been told. Thanks mate.

spud

by spud

if you want carbon wheels, don't count on doing big descents at your weight as you may fry the brake tracks on lesser models. Zipp/Enve/Reynolds tend to put the most R&D into temp stabilization and braking power. The big issue for you is getting enough spokes. 28 spokes in the rear is pretty much the minimum. A custom build using DT hubs, and a robust carbon rim would work well for you I think.

merser

by merser

spud wrote:if you want carbon wheels, don't count on doing big descents at your weight as you may fry the brake tracks on lesser models. Zipp/Enve/Reynolds tend to put the most R&D into temp stabilization and braking power. The big issue for you is getting enough spokes. 28 spokes in the rear is pretty much the minimum. A custom build using DT hubs, and a robust carbon rim would work well for you I think.

Thanks, I've had a few suggest the custom route. I don't even know where to begin to find a top wheel builder! I will look into it. I really hadn't even considered frying the brake tracks [emoji15]. Cheers

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

FYI there is an "Everything Wheels" forum that might help you. A search might bring up exactly the info you seek.

IMO bottom line, at your weight I would never touch a carbon wheel if you have to do any serious braking. Also, for most factory carbon wheels the durability will be poor. Even if the spokes survive, many of these lightweight wheels will be made with hubs that are just not robust enough for your weight. You might bend axles, distort pawl seats, and wear bearing prematurely. For factory wheels your best bets will be the better alloy offerings from Mavic, Fulcrum, Campy, etc. Many here will tell you that if you want trouble free cycling, a top quality hub and a solid alloy rim such as H Plus Sons Archetype with 32 spokes, would be your best bet.

Disc brakes might open up some carbon options but that is another story altogether.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

merser

by merser

Thank you. I'm glad I asked now. I live in NW England and it's definitely hilly so breaking is absolutely something that cannot be avoided.

Can you suggest any particular models of alloy offerings from the manufacturers you mentioned?

Andrewjn

by Andrewjn

I am about 93 kgs and rode mavics a long time ago until I found Campy and Fulcrum. I have a set of Campy Neutrons which I have found absolutely bombproof if you are looking for an alloy. Ridden them for 10 + years and never had an issue. Currently riding on a set of Fulcurm Carbon Racing Ones which are just as good. Not sure if they have a weight limit like some do, so check their technical sheets

spud

by spud

excellent suggestion - check out Campy Bora 50s or some such model - Campy stuff is close to bulletproof

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com