Which wheelset for my Holliday?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

3Pio

by 3Pio

In July im going on holliday to Kefalonya, Greece. Wonderfull Island, and plenty of nice riding there.

Considering that there is a lot of climbing and going downhill, and temperature can be like 35-40 deg Celsius, should i consider my Bora One 35 Tubulars (Vittoria Corsa G+, Vittora Mastik glue)?

Im not asking this because beeing afraid to melt the rims, but more if the hot weather with fast downhills is risk for glue to be melted and tire roll off?

And on my clinchers im riding also Vittoria Corsa G+ 25mm (but i'll put Continental 4000 SII 23 mm since they are brand new, and Vittorias will have by then about 2000 km), and using Vittoria Latex tubes (im riding latex tubes on clinchers two-three years without any problem for now. A lot of climbs, hot weather, cold weather... and no problems). Should i consider switching to butil tubes for this holiday, or im ok with Latex tubes?

All riding there will be solo

Thanks

kgt

by kgt

I ride exclusively in tubulars since 2010 in Greece and never had such problems. It's not the hot weather but the high temperature from braking that can only cause problems and that is rather rare in a properly glued tire.
Of course I would not recommend you riding between 11-5p.m. if the weather is too hot. Sunstroke is not something you want.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

3Pio

by 3Pio

kgt wrote:I ride exclusively in tubulars since 2010 in Greece and never had such problems. It's not the hot weather but the high temperature from braking that can only cause problems and that is rather rare in a properly glued tire.
Of course I would not recommend you riding between 11-5p.m. if the weather is too hot. Sunstroke is not something you want.

Sunstroke passed the test in 2014 :), since i spend my holliday there and allready had some riding on Kefalonya (I still remember riding from Argostolli to Sami and Back on 40 deg :), no sunstroke, but i got dehydrated :) ). Still, the wonderfull view, food and beach recover me instantly :)

Anyway, this year will try to ride as early as possible in the day.. (Something i done last holliday riding from Nafplion to Tripoli and back, and that save me from many troubles.. Sunstroke, Dehydration and most dangerous angry girlfriend which wait me to go on beach together :) )

For peace of mind, i'll remove all glue from the rim and glue it from scratch (anyway im in process of cleaning the rim).

sawyer

by sawyer

Each to their own, I would judge the risks of a properly glued tub rolling due to heat/hard cornering etc to be much less than the risks from a clincher exploding.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

3Pio

by 3Pio

sawyer wrote:Each to their own, I would judge the risks of a properly glued tub rolling due to heat/hard cornering etc to be much less than the risks from a clincher exploding.

Preparing the rear rim :) (i cleaned all glue, and apply new glue from scratch).

First layer of glue on tire/rim applied yesterday :)

Im not replacing the front one, even maybe im wrong about that since it have 1850 km and few punctures fixed by Tufo. The rear one im replacing was not possible to ride safely anymore without flat so that why i had to replace it

Multebear

by Multebear

Why don't you just ride alloy clinchers with butyl tubes? Saves you all the hazzle, headache and risk. Especially when riding alone, you don't need that extra speed, but you need that extra security.

Hovis

by Hovis

Multebear wrote:Why don't you just ride alloy clinchers with butyl tubes? Saves you all the hazzle, headache and risk. Especially when riding alone, you don't need that extra speed, but you need that extra security.

This

NovemberDave

by NovemberDave

Multebear wrote:Why don't you just ride alloy clinchers with butyl tubes? Saves you all the hazzle, headache and risk. Especially when riding alone, you don't need that extra speed, but you need that extra security.

Excellent counsel, especially since the existence of any "extra speed" is massively questionable in the first place.

mellowJohnny

by mellowJohnny

How much of a hassle would it be to source new tubs if need be? From a pure practicality standpoint I'd be on clinchers & butyl tubes. Not very sexy, but I'd have peace of mind.

I spend the summer holiday out on the east coast in canada, with 0% chance of finding a tubular of any sort, so my choice is easy.

sawyer

by sawyer

Just take 2 or 3 spare tubs ... and a couple of cans of Pitstop

I do that all the time on holiday - you'll only wish you were on Boras otherwise

3Pio

by 3Pio

Since i'll travel with car there, i'll get both of my wheelset.

The positive thing about tub is that u can ride them even u have a flat. The last time i had a flat, i was riding like that 50-60 km without damaging the rim (there was some air in the tire, but leaking slowly).

Also i have a spare tub now, and realized that is not that hard to remove the tub from the wheel having nice levers. Im still not experienced in tub things, and realizing the potentioal issues one by one :) . One of them, removing the tire from the rim with campagnolo levers i done it very quickly when i needed to remove the rear tub.

Another positive thing of tubs are beeing lighter and nicer feeling.

The only worry i had was melting the glue from a lot of braking in hot temperatures, but seem that the risk of blowing inner tube in clincher are same, so i will say there is not much bigger risk. (maybe i'll report this when i get back :) how true was).

And i'll ride alone, but my gf will be there, and i would use Garmin Tracking function, so she can see my position (if this function together with routing works at all :), i'll test it this few days), so in the worst case i'll have someone to pick me up.

3Pio

by 3Pio

mellowJohnny wrote:How much of a hassle would it be to source new tubs if need be? From a pure practicality standpoint I'd be on clinchers & butyl tubes. Not very sexy, but I'd have peace of mind.

I spend the summer holiday out on the east coast in canada, with 0% chance of finding a tubular of any sort, so my choice is easy.

Not a problem about that. Since i'll bring spare tubs with me and also a glue. I have now Tufo Elite <135 gm for spare tub, and also i'll bring two more Vittoria Corsa G+ 25mm

sawyer wrote:Just take 2 or 3 spare tubs ... and a couple of cans of Pitstop

I do that all the time on holiday - you'll only wish you were on Boras otherwise

Yes :) Just what im planing to do. The second layer of glue is ready. I had to install the tire yesterday, but not time for that :)

This morning im going for a ride of 150 km, with 1850m climb, so i'll install the tire tonight, and my tubs will be ready.

Sawyer, is there any potential problem that instead of waiting of 24 hours to install tire, there will be 48 hours from second glue layer to third on rim, and installation of tire?

I'll give them proper test before i go to holliday, since there is some chance that this weekend will ride 207 km in Saturday, and 207 km back on Monday. If this rides happened, i plan to do it on my Boras and tubs :)

sawyer

by sawyer

3Pio wrote:
mellowJohnny wrote:How much of a hassle would it be to source new tubs if need be? From a pure practicality standpoint I'd be on clinchers & butyl tubes. Not very sexy, but I'd have peace of mind.

Not a problem about that. Since i'll bring spare tubs with me and also a glue. I have now Tufo Elite <135 gm for spare tub, and also i'll bring two more Vittoria Corsa G+ 25mm

sawyer wrote:Just take 2 or 3 spare tubs ... and a couple of cans of Pitstop

Sawyer, is there any potential problem that instead of waiting of 24 hours to install tire, there will be 48 hours from second glue layer to third on rim, and installation of tire?

I would not worry about that at all. I would as ever just ensure the rim and base tape are well covered, and that a coat goes on just before fitting the tub

3Pio

by 3Pio

Ok, i just installed the tube. Since i was riding yesterday there was like 72 hours since the second layer of glue.

I must admit that now im realizing that tubular installation it's not that hard as it looked first time :) No mess, i used less glue this time and everything went just much nicer :) To dont double post i post all details how i done it in glueing tubular thread.

Now 36 hours waiting time :) before i try them on Saturday ride

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Good that you used less glue this time as even your first layer on this last wheel looked kinda thick to me. I just stripped clean a set of Boras and glued up some Veloflex Arrenbergs. 2 tubes of glue. Two thin coats on the rims. And one coat on the base tape. I could see maybe needing one extra very small amount from a 3rd tube but any more and it was too thick imo. It takes a good effort for me to get the tires off. Way more than what @Cyclespeed showed in his video. Those tires came off remarkably easy. I think Vittoria Mastik is so superior to the Continental glue as well in every respect. Also, I much prefer using the small tubes versus the can as exposure to air tends to change its consistency pretty quickly. The first glue job is nerve wracking. It gets so much easier. And yes to the acid brushes. They are throw away items. Get a bag of 'em for super cheap and use one per each go round, meaning one layer, one rim or tire, one brush, throw away, repeat. And the finger method doesn't work so well with rims like the new Boras with a "channel" in the middle. It gets filled and thick. With the acid brushes and a quickly learned technique you can just lay down a bead, run the acid brush down the head to spread out to the sides, then go back and "sweep" out from the middle down and outwards to coat the entire edge of the rim where the bond is most important. I almost did a video since it seems the rage now, but I wanted to get it done. Timed it though. Approximately 5-6 minutes per layer on the rim or tire. Super thin. Super clean. Not a hair on the brake tracks. It's quite satisfying... when done :).
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ